Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas - 2022 edition - Repository -

p6x

11 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

D13F342F-3A57-4F31-A054-16540F36F134.jpeC0BBACF9-4F9B-4FAB-B05E-49BDCC62E725.jpe711E55AE-083F-47F5-BBCE-E770DB21C9B8.jpeDC60389B-E2D0-4809-B098-1B3C641C3A13.jpe250DB355-461F-4C4E-9641-84555F48E342.jpe7C1A77B6-A410-468E-8C61-8B8B32710D6D.jpe50454ACC-5F5C-4538-83F2-28F4BD9D5FAA.jpe

I have that itinerary planned;

I like to capture the Eiffel Tower in the evening, when they have the lights on, or in the morning when the sun comes up!

This week-end, they have the Le Mans Grand-Prix....

• Like 1

Found another spot in Pawhuska Oklahoma with both 87 and 89 Ethanol free at Caseys!!!  Up here enjoying a nice weekend in Cedar Vale, Kansas…

23 hours ago, Chuck said:

Tell everybody hi for Dorcia and me, Paul..:thumbsup:

Absolutely Chuck…we missed you both!!  Nice rally and get together, The birds are chirping, nice and cool here and the usual fun around the proverbial campfire!

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 9:02 PM, docc said:

@leroysch ?

How cool is that!! :mg::race::drink:

Yup, that's ma boy Adam. Hope he didn't talk your ear off for an hour during your stop. :lol: It was great chatting with you at CV, passing each other by in Coffeyville, KS (that was you, right?) on the way home. I'll PM you cell/email for that selfie you took.

• Like 2

Hey Leroy…likewise!  Adam was a gentleman….a nice break to chat!!  Always a fun gathering in Cedar Vale…that may have been my twin in Coffeeville…I saw the storms brewing in Rogers, Arkansas and decided to head south a little before that!  Made it across the Red River for the evening, more adventuring tomorrow before heading home!

• Like 1

Two stops accomplished today; #7 and #41 Creedmore and Cuero Tx. Temperature around 96 degF! about 400 miles today. I got lost and went to Austin before turning back on I-35.

My total is 9/50.

20220516 Stop 7 and 41 Creedmoor - CueroIMG_0452IMG_0453Stop 7 Creedmore Tx FRStop 41 Cuoro Tx FR

@docc

For some reason, Ethanol Free gas at Buc-ee's Bastrop is 90 Octanes... The 48.8 mpg is done keeping under 4000 rpm. The 37.7 mpg was strictly 4500/5000 rpm. There is a big difference as soon as you go above 4k rpm.

IMG_0451

• Like 2

Looking good P6x!  400 miles in this heat is killer…I’m using a camelback filled with ice and water or ice tea at each gas stop to stay hydrated…drinking 6-8 liters during the day as I ride.  I’ll post another one today as well from Terrell…British Pilot training Museum and another pic also of a fantastic station named Kim’s just north of Palestine with great gas, amazing coffee and sandwiches and a patio area…perfect setup.  Today’s average was 44.3 mpg on the Norge over 275 miles.

With this I added 8 stops over the last 5 days, up to a total of 11 now…hoping for some cooler weekends to bag the ones near Houston and Galveston.  A nice 5 days of riding total of 1400 miles from Texas to Kansas and back.

A bientot! 

90CFF333-8301-4662-8446-A18BA7FAC389.jpe

7A1EED2C-9403-4024-B4AD-70F93559E41D.jpe

4F1DD5D7-9CD9-419D-B363-4C9DFB051244.jpe52C737BF-A13C-4DA5-8743-78A403C9F504.jpe

• Like 2

@PJPR01 I am like a Camel. I don't really suffer from the heat. What gets me the most is the wind buffeting depending on my orientation with regards to its blowing direction. However, I had to make a concession to safety; I am riding without my airbag.

Buc-ee's jacked up the ethanol free gasoline 1 buc! the morning was 4.999; when I stopped at Katy on the way back, it was 5.999.

I ran out of phone battery during the trip, and found out the hard way it is not easy to find Ethanol free gas randomly.

I am planning to do 24, 29, 38 next. I wanted to do 12 and 13, but I have been told CBP officials have been scrubbing, borderline harassing people coming back from Big Bend, because of the proximity with Mexico. There is apparently a check point when you come back from the park.

20220517 9 stops done

• Like 1

Sounds like a good plan…I hadn’t heard of any new specific  hassles in Big Bend…but border patrol has been around for years.  The one recommendation I recall is to tank up in Marathon as I don’t recall seeing gas in the park on my last Rover adventure there a few years ago….maybe there is some now.  The road along the River to Terlingua and a stop at Santa Elena canyon is well worth it!

When you’re down near Boca Chica maybe you’ll get to see a Space X launch?

11 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

Sounds like a good plan…I hadn’t heard of any new specific  hassles in Big Bend…but border patrol has been around for years.  The one recommendation I recall is to tank up in Marathon as I don’t recall seeing gas in the park on my last Rover adventure there a few years ago….maybe there is some now.  The road along the River to Terlingua and a stop at Santa Elena canyon is well worth it!

When you’re down near Boca Chica maybe you’ll get to see a Space X launch?

I see there is a gas station in Terlingua: Alon. Marathon to Big Bend is 100 miles+. I would not want to run out of gas on the 118 or the 385.

But given that we have a stop at that Big Bend Biker hotel, I think the 118 to go to Big Bend is most likely the way to go.

Enter the park through the western entrance and exit through the northern towards Marathon.

I am hesitating between the 90 and the I-10 though. What would you recommend? on the I-10, which is the recommended google itinerary, it is an 8:00 hours drive not taking into account the stops. 563 miles. I think I want to check if I can do that in one single drive.

I could take US-90 on my way back. I think I should be able to do it in three days total. I-10 to Alpine. Overnight at the Biker Hotel. Then down through Terlingua, cross Big Bend, get to Marathon and US-90 to San Antonio overnight there, and back to Houston the following day. I am going to ignore all the stops around San Antonio leave them for another trip.

Is this a good way to do it?

Stops 12 and 13 Big Bend park

• Like 1

Definitely doable…I found the 90 route to be more relaxing but also more remote, with historical stops in Pecos, and along the Amistad reservoir and many sections of just plain nothing…but still more interesting than just doing I-10.  The other alternative is to take I-10 for a portion and then grab 290 all the way from around Junction thru to Austin, much more scenic ride and rolling hills ride in my view!

I love I-10 in the Rover or Porsche, but not so much on the motorcycle…I really try to avoid the interstate as much as possible while on the bike…

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

Definitely doable…I found the 90 route to be more relaxing but also more remote, with historical stops in Pecos, and along the Amistad reservoir and many sections of just plain nothing…but still more interesting than just doing I-10.  The other alternative is to take I-10 for a portion and then grab 290 all the way from around Junction thru to Austin, much more scenic ride and rolling hills ride in my view!

I love I-10 in the Rover or Porsche, but not so much on the motorcycle…I really try to avoid the interstate as much as possible while on the bike…

US-90 it is then.