Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas - 2022 edition - Repository -

p6x

Fuel selection matters. The V11 combustion is not ideally efficient and is influenced by numerous contributors.  

You get what you pay for. Seriously: try this current Shell V-power. It made a difference for mySport, even with the ethanol content.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, docc said:

Fuel selection matters. The V11 combustion is not ideally efficient and is influenced by numerous contributors.  

You get what you pay for. Seriously: try this current Shell V-power. It made a difference for mySport, even with the ethanol content.

That thang has gut uh big ol' hemi in it!  :grin:

20 minutes ago, docc said:

AKA; "Black Art?" As in: staying up all night long to try and tune the fuel delivery to the ignition? :ph34r:  :ninja: 

The answers to all our questions are here!

Ducati Factory

Access guaranteed to those who have purchased their ticket on line

Guided tours in Italian are available:

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 9:30 and 15:30

And add a training course on the physics in motorcycle:

https://www.ducati.com/it/it/fisica-in-moto

They offer the tuition on line too. Not as good as hand's on, but easier to access. But I think it is only in Italian. If I try to change the language, it kicks me from the page.

https://assets.ctfassets.net/x7j9qwvpvr5s/RQin6KEeUGkUEBONiJbNB/58ac5ab3d2183c0a09125b07b99a41fa/Ducati_FISICA_IN_MOTO_def.pdf

Luckily I have had good luck at Bucees no matter which location I hit.  No issues with gas quality so far.

The bikes and cars seem to enjoy the ethanol free fuel.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

Luckily I have had good luck at Bucees no matter which location I hit.  No issues with gas quality so far.

The bikes and cars seem to enjoy the ethanol free fuel.

Do you plan your trips according to Ethanol Free Gas availability? At least as long as you remain in Texas, it is not impossible. Still a challenge with a 150 miles safe autonomy motorcycle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, p6x said:

Do you plan your trips according to Ethanol Free Gas availability? At least as long as you remain in Texas, it is not impossible. Still a challenge with a 150 miles safe autonomy motorcycle.

I wouldn't worry about ethanol gas on a trip.  You'll burn it in couple of hours riding, Buck-ee's in an hour and half.  I'd worry more about stations that had stagnant gas that might be dirty and clogging the fuel system.

2 hours ago, p6x said:

Hi P6x...For local trips around Houston or Austin (Bastrop area), if I can work in a stop at Bucees (on 290) as part of the route, I'll do it to stop for a coffee as well, otherwise I just put in the top gas available at any station.  If I encounter any bad gas along long trips (where I found it more noticeably bad was in northern Colorado and sometimes in Kansas), I'll just put a fuel additive or alcohol remover to help get thru.  

I have the Scura re-assembled late last night, so I may take a quick spin in the afternoon up to Bucees to get a fresh tank of non Ethanol and ride a bit to test all of the repairs on a short shakedown trip before taking it on longer runs.

1 hour ago, LowRyter said:

I wouldn't worry about ethanol gas on a trip.  You'll burn it in couple of hours riding, Buck-ee's in an hour and half.  I'd worry more about stations that had stagnant gas that might be dirty and clogging the fuel system.

This is always a concern, but in small towns, they usually have only one station; the turn around is most likely high.

Watered down diesel is more worrisome especially when diesel powered cars are in the minority.

@PJPR01 Got the 911 back yesterday; six miles out of the shop, engine check light came on....

it's always nice when you just spent two V11 equivalent.....:not:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, p6x said:

@PJPR01 Got the 911 back yesterday; six miles out of the shop, engine check light came on....

it's always nice when you just spent two V11 equivalent.....:not:

That’s crap!! Hopefully it’s something easy to resolve…besides the oil leak and spark plugs were they doing anything else?

2 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

That’s crap!! Hopefully it’s something easy to resolve…besides the oil leak and spark plugs were they doing anything else?

Nothing that should have implied an engine warning light to come up. Changing seals and shock absorbers back and front.

They just changed a seal and took a look at the oil exchanger.

• Like 1

If they didn’t replace the exhaust gaskets when removing the exhaust to get to the spark plugs or reused the old ones that could lead to a check engine light.  But they should be able to see the codes and identify the issue.

On 4/23/2022 at 4:38 PM, PJPR01 said:

If they didn’t replace the exhaust gaskets when removing the exhaust to get to the spark plugs or reused the old ones that could lead to a check engine light.  But they should be able to see the codes and identify the issue.

So I was at Einer's this morning, and the fault was identified.

It has to do with the left cylinder bank cam shaft, and only at cold start-ups. The technician called me to show me the values on the Porsche version of GuzziDiag. According to the 911 Doctor, this is (one more) of the Porsche component that are bound to need replacement because they wear off. Something to do with the automatic tension system of the distribution chain.

As you would expect, they need to drop the engine to get access.

Meanwhile, I took the Guzzi to make stop 31 yesterday, and no leak after the 100 miles return trip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, p6x said:

So I was at Einer's this morning, and the fault was identified.

It has to do with the left cylinder bank cam shaft, and only at cold start-ups. The technician called me to show me the values on the Porsche version of GuzziDiag. According to the 911 Doctor, this is (one more) of the Porsche component that are bound to need replacement because they wear off. Something to do with the automatic tension system of the distribution chain.

As you would expect, they need to drop the engine to get access.

Meanwhile, I took the Guzzi to make stop 31 yesterday, and no leak after the 100 miles return trip.

are you going to upgrade the IMS bearing?

2 hours ago, LowRyter said:

are you going to upgrade the IMS bearing?

They checked it while replacing the leaky seal. They said it did not need to be replaced. Since I am now going to keep the car, if it does not need to be replaced, then I shan't.

I may revisit this decision once I get that automatic tension system overhauled.