Eighteenth South’n Spine Raid 2022

docc

On 9/15/2022 at 8:21 PM, docc said:

"Striking distance" for our Kentucky and Indiana brothers. Ohio, even! Michigan, maybe?

South East Ohio has some great roads, we did some of the Zanesville rides, won't be anything like the Dragon, but fun, just do the south of Zanesville rides.  West Virginia is another ride rich state. Bristol TN/VA is another good area, 421 to Shady Valley and Mountain City is an excellent road.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, HRC_V4 said:

South East Ohio has some great roads, we did some of the Zanesville rides, won't be anything like the Dragon, but fun, just do the south of Zanesville rides.  West Virginia is another ride rich state. Bristol TN/VA is another good area, 421 to Shady Valley and Mountain City is an excellent road.

The "South'n Spine Raid "  has always been a hopeful model for "SpineRaids" wherever you are and whenever you can gather SpineFrames.  :mg:  :luigi:  :bier:

OhioRiver SpineRaid?

Surfin' SpineRaid?

Varsseveld SpineRaid?

Bungendore SpineRaid?

Spinal IceRaid?

SNOWRIDE.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, docc said:

The "South'n Spine Raid "  has always been a hopeful model for "SpineRaids" wherever you are and whenever you can gather SpineFrames.  :mg:  :luigi:  :bier:

OhioRiver SpineRaid?

Surfin' SpineRaid?

Varsseveld SpineRaid?

Bungendore SpineRaid?

Spinal IceRaid?

SNOWRIDE.jpg

Good to see he left the stock exhaust ;)

• Haha 2

2 wild quesses about the ice racing V11,, age of the rider and oil temp, hmm.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

2 wild quesses about the ice racing V11,, age of the rider and oil temp, hmm.

Cheers Tom.

I've been reposting that (amazing) image for a long, long time.

Someone you know, @Tomchri?

YOU? :ph34r:

• Haha 1

For sure early 70s, but usually 2strokes. Lots of fun and falling of not to bad. A v11 on the ice would be a no no. Back in to the brewery.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/18/2022 at 4:02 PM, footgoose said:

... low      :whistle:

19 yoa/ 19º ?

19 years of age, but temperature in Fahrenheit . . . (minus 7º Celsius)  :wacko:

Makes the dense fog on the Cherohala Skyway seem absolutely sensible.

Even without brakes.  :thing:

• Like 2

I have to say, I am most appreciative to the fellows that stayed with me on the descent from The Divide as my front brakes failed. Not a happy time for me. We stopped at the first overlook that was clear below the 1500 foot cloud ceiling.  Took some pics and admired the view.

Then, forty minutes working to release my locked front brakes to roll the last 1500 feet elevation/20 miles.

You know you are medium-to-truly føøk'd when you blink-blink-awake and see docc's Sharpie and surgical tape applied to your personal vicinity . . . :o

IMG_8298.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, docc said:

I have to say, I am most appreciative to the fellows that stayed with me on the descent from The Divide as my front brakes failed. Not a happy time for me. We stopped at the first overlook that was clear below the 1500 foot cloud ceiling.  Took some pics and admired the view.

Then, forty minutes working to release my locked front brakes to roll the last 1500 feet elevation/20 miles.

You know you are medium-to-truly føøk'd when you blink-blink-awake and see docc's Sharpie and surgical tape applied to your personal vicinity . . . :o

IMG_8298.jpg

Docc, you forgot to mention during your 45 minute brake tech session we had a couple Harley visitors from Florida experiencing a "Rocky Mountain High". :rasta:        :ninja: 

IMG_5539.jpg

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2022 at 6:52 AM, Chuck said:

I'm having a hard time understanding the "field repair" Docc. Tell me more.

The pads/pistons would not retract and the lever was locked less than an inch from the grip (just enough room for my fingers).  I removed the pad pins and retracted the pistons with small Channel-Locks, mopping up the fluid from the bleeders with a rag (did not have a small hose for the bleeder).

I was concerned that on the ride down the rest of the mountain I would instinctively pull the brake lever and lock the pads against the rotor again, so the pen is secured there to chock the brake lever in place.

We were all presuming something hydraulic, but back in the garage, the lever released when the retaining nut on the pivot pin was loosened. It had been installed 6,000 miles ago.  The tiny ball that actuates the switch would not release until home and I completely disassembled and cleaned the mechanism.

Current thinking is that the nasty white lithium grease I used combined with the moisture, temperature drop, and fine grit from the road construction to bind the pivot and switch actuator. :huh2:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

There are (almost) always things that go down at SpineRaids behind the scenes.

Spineys gets sat on  . . .

IMG_8273.jpg

Friendly strangers share >blue things< like Free Candy . . .

IMG_8331.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, docc said:

There are (almost) always things that go down at SpineRaids behind the scenes.

Spineys gets sat on  . . .

IMG_8273.jpg

Always the strange, unexpected world one finds under the stairs.

Royal-Bill.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3