Eighteenth South’n Spine Raid 2022

docc

19 hours ago, Bill Hagan said:

Any chance you might join us -- mostly Guzzisti -- in our "Mutton Run" to Daviess County at the end of September?

I'll post a general announcement in a separate thread soon, but it's the St. Mary's picnic in Whitesville on Sunday, 25 September.  Here's a slideshow of last May's:

May 2022 Kentucky Mutton Run

Bill

18 hours ago, gstallons said:

I am going to try and surprise myself and get to the South n Spine . Docc is usin' a mutual friend to work on me 1

You could do both; I am.  :mg:

• Like 1

@v11_meticcio, from Lecco Italia, pointed out that the World Guzzi Days (Le GMG) is the same weekend as the South'n SpineRaid.

So, being in Mandello del Lario during the South'n SpineRaid will be considered an acceptable alibi for your absence here. :mg: Otherwise, we will celebrate the centenary in solidarity. :bier::drink:

https://www.visitmandello.it/en/events/881-le-gmg-giornate-mondiali-guzzi

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2022 at 8:09 PM, docc said:

Five weeks out to the Eighteenth South'n SpineRaid:mg:B):drink:

Currently in Tire Preservation Mode. I don't wanna be "that guy" hanging out at Wheeler's waiting for The Spoon.

If'n you end up "that guy", it's okay. Lots of SpineRaiders will hang there with you. And The Spoon is a good tech who's gotcha covered.

IMG_3080.JPG

I'm currently in "wear the rear tire out so I can put the new one on" mode lol.

• Haha 3

On 8/25/2022 at 9:45 AM, Randy said:

I'm currently in "wear the rear tire out so I can put the new one on" mode lol.

I'm seeing three tire strategies (and maybe a fourth, if you play your cards right) . . .

1) Calculate the tire life, strategize the lead-up riding, and make it home with at least a couple hundred miles to spare ( sketchy-me, again, The Gambler/ Jack of Spades ). ♠️  :whistle:

2) Use up the existing tire with the lead-up riding and arrive at the SpineRaid with a 100% tire. (Randy, The Jack of Diamonds ). ♦️:sun:

3) Wear out truck and trailer tires, but preserve motorcycle tires. "Get There. / Bring Tools." (A known, valid, strategy. Our most mature, and most calculated, element, The Jack(s) of Clubs ) : ♣️♣️:luigi:  :luigi:

IMG_5709.jpg

4) Discover a tire fail and enjoin in the solution. Pray for divine intervention. 

(The Jack of Hearts. )

♥️  :huh:

IMG_6336.jpg

• Like 8

10 hours ago, docc said:

I'm seeing three tire strategies (and maybe a fourth, if you play your cards right) . . .

1) Calculate the tire life, strategize the lead-up riding, and make it home with at least a couple hundred miles to spare ( sketchy-me, again, The Gambler/ Jack of Spades ). :whistle:

2) Use up the existing tire with the lead-up riding and arrive at the SpineRaid with a 100% tire. (Randy, The Jack of Diamonds ). :sun:

3) Wear out truck and trailer tires, but preserve motorcycle tires. "Get There. / Bring Tools." (A known, valid, strategy. Our most mature, and most calculated, element, The Jack(s) of Clubs ) : :luigi:  :luigi:

IMG_5709.jpg

4) Discover a tire fail and enjoin in the solution. Pray for divine intervention. 

(The Jack of Hearts. ) :huh:

IMG_6336.jpg

Not sure which of the 3+1 options, above, fits my situation, and possibly some combo.

So, when Kathi and I got home last night from a few days away in Wellsboro, Pa. -- more at the Tellico pavilion :drink: about her attempts to cash in on my LI policy by killing me on Bataan Death March hikes! :o   -- I found these on our front porch ...

i-wZxdmpN-L.jpg

New shoes for my V7 III, the likely -- just now, anyway -- candidate for the run down to Tennessee.

I had hoped -- never a method :whistle: -- to R&R both front and rear and convert rims to tubeless, but time, always the least available resource, especially when as disorganized as I am, is kicking my gluteus maximus.  

So, even if I find the time to R&R the needy rear, it'll be tubes again.  Moreover, while I'd like to replace both at the same time, only the rear is problematic.  Still, did I mention time?  I am retired; this is shameful and inexplicable.

Trailering, the safest and most sissy option, is too sad to contemplate, but I'm not ruling it out (just yet).

Other mounts?  

Sold the Norge.

The Stornello is more my local machine, and its tires are needy, too.

The Griso is hors de combat on account of my ham-fisted wrenching.  While mounting its new tire -- my first No Mar victory, by the way -- I managed to muck up the speed sensor cable.  :homer:

i-dDPZjKC-L.jpg

i-vqhfnjN-L.jpg

My "fixes" have been both unsightly and unsuccessful.  I'll spare you the graphic pix of those.  :(

The part is, as a practical mater, at least in any sort of "in time" sens, unobtanium.  I just called a friend in Italy a few minutes ago who will try to find there and send to me.

That leaves my "old shoe," the venerable EV.  It has 107K miles but is -- knock on Mandello maple -- reliable ... AND has new tires front and back.  

Apologies for babbling on.  Time to go down to the Moto Grappa, ponder my options, and, most importantly, execute, execute, execute.

Kathi just looked over my shoulder, saw what I was doing, and said, "Bill, don't forget mowing, yard work, blah, blah, blah."   At least she is a sweet-tempered supervisor.  :wub:

Bill

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, docc said:

1) Calculate the tire life, strategize the lead-up riding, and make it home with at least a couple hundred miles to spare ( sketchy-me, again, The Gambler/ Jack of Spades ). :whistle:

2) Use up the existing tire with the lead-up riding and arrive at the SpineRaid with a 100% tire. (Randy, The Jack of Diamonds ). :sun:

3) Wear out truck and trailer tires, but preserve motorcycle tires. "Get There. / Bring Tools." (A known, valid, strategy. Our most mature, and most calculated, element, The Jack(s) of Clubs ) : :luigi:  :luigi:

IMG_5709.jpg

(The Jack of Hearts. ) :huh:

IMG_6336.jpg

I want that tire changer, where did it come from?

6 hours ago, Randy said:

I want that tire changer, where did it come from?

Pretty sure that is a NoMar with a hitch mount. I can ask. Or you can talk it up with Josh at the SpineRaid . . .

6 hours ago, Joe said:

Docc, does a Triumph Daytona Super III "With a Spine Frame" qualify for a Spine Raid Rally? :rasta:

DSC02436.jpg

Triumph-Super-III-The-wheels-were-17-inch-Brembo.jpg

Only if it's yellow! Or some other color . . . B)

Won't be the first Trumpet at a South'n SpineRaid.

IMG_2341.jpg

South'n SpineRaid #2, 2006

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Goofman said:

Especially if it's yellow!

@Goofman knows of this thing he speaks . . .

DSCN3736.jpg

South'n SpineRaid, 2015

• Like 3

On 8/26/2022 at 9:03 AM, Bill Hagan said:

i-vqhfnjN-L.jpg

My "fixes" have been both unsightly and unsuccessful.  I'll spare you the graphic pix of those.  :(

Bill, that sensor is not particularly...sensitive

The repair doesn't have to be pretty to be functional. If you like, bring it along to the 'raid and we'll set it right. If at all possible, bring it attached to the bike. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/26/2022 at 7:06 PM, docc said:

@Goofman knows of this thing he speaks . . .

DSCN3736.jpg

South'n SpineRaid, 2015

Thanks Docc.  Couldn't find that picture.

And hey, I'll bring the fire extinguisher.🔥

• Haha 2

So, Docc, I haven't gone back through all the posts in this thread, but might you have a close-is-good-enough headcount of who's coming?

I plan on leaving the top of Virginia on Thursday morning, then spending that night TBD, and arrive in Tellico Plains late on Friday afternoon.  Will spend Sunday in Hiawassee R&R'ing the battery on my brother's Multistrada. I'll depart on Monday early; home Tuesday.   

Still not sure what I'll be riding. My Griso is, sadly, hors de combat. If I can swap out the rear tire on the V7 III in time, I'll probably ride it as I don't think it's been to an SSR.  If not the III, the venerable hotdog & mustard EV -- V11 LeMans Forum pinup of the month back in '03 or so :grin: -- will return.

Bill

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

A "head-count" of SpineRaid Jello to be nailed to the wall?  B)

Surely, you jest. Too many cats to herd.  :ph34r:  :race:

I'll be lucky to nail my own cat to the wall and herd my Jello to this SpineRaid . . .

• Like 2
  • Haha 2