Eighteenth South’n Spine Raid 2022

docc

1 hour ago, Bill Hagan said:

Mine of that is empty, but it was quite fine. :drink:

I like WR well enough, but am careful with it and when near Versailles.  My ex (R.I.P) was from Woodford County.  When we parted ways before my present blissful -- Kathi lurks; I am not as stoopid as I look :grin: -- incarnation, all her family used exacto blades to cut my head off in family pix.  These days, it be easier with PhotoShop and the like. :D  But I still stick to the speed limits in them thar parts.  :whistle:

Maybe I should bring the EV instead of the III.  The former has capacious luggage; the latter carries the CC's to buy things one needs!  I plan to bring a bottle of grappa and a bourbon.  Might be a Virginia one, tho that does trouble my Kentucky roots a bit.

@Joe, did you get to Owensboro and Green River Distillery?

i-36kD9qJ-L.jpg

Bill

Bill, I grew up about 3-4 miles from Woodford Reserve just inside Franklin County. I currently live in North Spencer County, in the middle of Central KY Bourbon trail. All that said, some Indian riders from Alabama and Chattanooga area rode up and took the "trail of cheers."

IMG_5450.jpg

IMG_5451.jpg

IMG_5444.jpg

• Like 1

SpineRaiders can always be counted on to structure their luggage around the priorites . . .

Bourbon  ✔️

Grappa  ✔️

IPA   ✔️

I know asking this is as dull as box of dirty wrenches, but is anyone bringing a computer OS running GuzziDiag? :luigi:

(If so, I'll bring my cables . . . :nerd: )

• Like 2

1 hour ago, docc said:

SpineRaiders can always be counted on to structure their luggage around the priorites . . .

Bourbon  ✔️

Grappa  ✔️

IPA   ✔️

I know asking this is as dull as box of dirty wrenches, but is anyone bringing a computer OS running GuzziDiag? :luigi:

Otherwise, my luggage space is getting tight, what with all the "priorities" . . .

:bier:    :drink:

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Joe said:

Maker's Mark is one of the finest.....:drink:

<snipped>

We can discuss this under the pavilion.  :P

I am still scarred from waking up on the floor in a dorm shower room at UK in 1969 after a terrible blind date.  I had tried to drown my sorrows with barrel-size quantities of Maker's Mark.  Almost worked.  :o

Having it -- and all of Beam -- now owned by a Japanese sake company doesn't help.  On the positive side, it is distilled in Loretto, a lovely place in the heart of old Catholic Country, where "my people" came in the late 18th century after being run out of Maryland.  None of us would enjoy Kentucky bourbon of any brand had the Puritans settled there instead of corn-whiskey-making Catholics from Wales (my folks) and all over.  :notworthy:

Back to readying for launch tomorrow.

Bill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anyone looking for a room at Tellico Lodge might want to check with Bryan. I had to cancel the other day room 101.  Should have said it sooner.

• Thanks 1

The V7 is ready ... sans the too much stuff I think I can pack on it  :wacko: -- but sure glad launch is tomorrow, not today!

i-h7Cw5sm-L.jpg

Bill

• Like 4

23 hours ago, docc said:

Bourbon  ✔️

Grappa  ✔️

IPA   ✔️

Computer and cables

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/5/2022 at 8:53 PM, Joe said:

B0B92F4F-466D-4D75-B9D6-77C6000372CA.png

Hi-resolution forecast models are coming into range. I see Saturday, up on the Cherohala, 61-67ºF. With morning fog and rain later. Subtract "wind chill factor" at speed.

> What does this mean to me <   . . .  :nerd:

Leaving Middle Tennessee after three months of record temps and heat indices, it is hard to add "layers" and winter gloves to the load out.  But: Been there. Done that. Consider it done . . . 

Actual temps on the Cherohala can be 10-15º below the Tellico Plains temps. And "Feels Like " temps even lower, especially if we get wet . . .

IMG_2607.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Seriously, I've seen riders leave Tellico at 86ºF ("feels like" 90º) and encounter the morning fog/afternoon rain at The Divide (over a mile above sea level) and discover "feels like" 49ºF in their cotton clothes, wet, at speed.

Up in those mountains, where we paddle the "white water", there is a (hypothermia) phrase: "Cotton Kills."

> Knowledge is Power <

(jus' sayin')

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Life drama is keeping me close to home this week. Will miss you guys. I'll have to wait for the next installment of "Lifestyles of the Cheap and Restless" and settle for whiskey dreams and beaver nugget wishes I suppose.

Rain in the clouds ain't so bad if you have an Aerostich (or comparable) and an anti fog visor/lens.

28 N out of Franklin is not a great road for rain riding. jussayin. Have fun gents.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, footgoose said:

Life drama is keeping me close to home this week. Will miss you guys. I'll have to wait for the next installment of "Lifestyles of the Cheap and Restless" and settle for whiskey dreams and beaver nugget wishes I suppose.

Rain in the clouds ain't so bad if you have an Aerostich (or comparable) and an anti fog visor/lens.

28 N out of Franklin is not a great road for rain riding. jussayin. Have fun gents.

Gonna miss you, for sure.  :(

And RaiderBill.  Tell him "hello" from the SpineRaid crowd! :drink:

• Like 1

If anyone has a spare rear brake rotor I could use it. Mine warped a little on the way here.

• Sad 1