Shock Replacement

dbarb3

Well why I am going I am considering send the Forks to Guzzi Tech, Todd does revalve and new springs, seals, fluid for a decent price. 

I have the fairing off for paint, how bad a job is it to remove and reinstall forks.  I have removed rims for tire changes and can do basics even though it takes me forever.  I have  a good lift.

And what in the world do you ship them in to get there in 1 piece.

I do: shop stand holding the rear, floor jack padded with wood and rubber pad under the motor, and ratchet straps on the upper tree -attached to rafters for balance and tipover prevention. Splay out the rafter attach points for security. Remove calipers and hang them safely out of the way First! With wheel and clipons off just loose the fork clamps and slip them out. I'd use shipping tubes for shipping, forks wrapped with Styrofoam sheet. Don't know where you'll find them for sale as singles. You'll want a decent torque wrench and values handy for reassembly.

• Like 2

When removing and reinstalling forks, I like to use sections of composite carpenters shims. You can force them in the gaps (after removing the bolts) just enough the forks will slide easily. It reduces the risk of scratching the forks (learned the hard way).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Scud said:

When removing and reinstalling forks, I like to use sections of composite carpenters shims. You can force them in the gaps (after removing the bolts) just enough the forks will slide easily. It reduces the risk of scratching the forks (learned the hard way).

I have always used a selection of various screwdrivers to drive into the pinch gaps of the triple trees. :blush:

"composite carpenter's shims"  is the way to go. :nerd:

(Gotta get-me some o' them.)

NWS_Holed-Composite-Bundle-3.jpg&f=1&nof

8 hours ago, dbarb3 said:

Well why I am going I am considering send the Forks to Guzzi Tech, Todd does revalve and new springs, seals, fluid for a decent price. 

I have the fairing off for paint, how bad a job is it to remove and reinstall forks.  I have removed rims for tire changes and can do basics even though it takes me forever.  I have  a good lift.

And what in the world do you ship them in to get there in 1 piece.

Just fit some Andreani cartridges yourself and be done with it. Around $600us on ebay and around 45 min a side in labour. Pretty simple. Adjustable preload and rebound and comp.

Ciao 

• Like 2

Since y'all like the shim idea... and this is a first-time job for dbarb3, here is a bit more detail. Rather than use the whole length of the shim, I just cut a section that starts smaller than the gap and is only a few inches long. You should be able to jam it in by hand enough to release the clamping pressure (or a very light tap with a hammer - you don't need to expand it very much to release the fork tube. With shims in top and bottom, the fork could drop suddenly, so it's a good idea to have something to support it or cushion it.

BTW - Those shims are also good for forcing the pistons back into the brake calipers. Just insert one from each side of the caliper, then force them together till they are slightly thicker than the brake rotor. 

I’m probably on the wrong thread, but on one of the discussions of forks, Lucky Phil made the comment that you could get Andreani cartridge inserts for the V11.

Intrigued, I went looking,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112664548144?hash=item1a3b549330:g:PoIAAOSwovNaH91O

At that price it’s a great deal for hopefully a plug & play piece of equipment :thumbsup:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nobleswood said:

I’m probably on the wrong thread, but on one of the discussions of forks, Lucky Phil made the comment that you could get Andreani cartridge inserts for the V11.

Intrigued, I went looking,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112664548144?hash=item1a3b549330:g:PoIAAOSwovNaH91O

At that price it’s a great deal for hopefully a plug & play piece of equipment :thumbsup:

Yes they look good and almost certainly what I'll be using. Someone here has fitted a set a few years ago, Pressureangle I think. Only for 01 onwards bikes though. If you want to fit them to the earlier 99-00 bikes you'd need to remove the calliper/axle mounts and machine them internally in the base I think as they don't have a flat base for the cartridge to seat on. So in effect they fit any model V11 Sport Non damper rod forks.

Ciao      

14 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Yes they look good and almost certainly what I'll be using. Someone here has fitted a set a few years ago, Pressureangle I think. Only for 01 onwards bikes though. If you want to fit them to the earlier 99-00 bikes you'd need to remove the calliper/axle mounts and machine them internally in the base I think as they don't have a flat base for the cartridge to seat on. So in effect they fit any model V11 Sport Non damper rod forks.

Ciao      

Wasn't me, I put new dampers in the '85 LM but I'm only now ashamedly addressing the front end of the Sport, which has a number of troubles I've never mentioned but would probably shock anyone else riding it. Before the Spine Raid it'll get fork rebuild, steering head rebuild, brake caliper rebuild and a bit of clean-and-refinish. 
Who's got the WP service book for the forks?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

Wasn't me, I put new dampers in the '85 LM but I'm only now ashamedly addressing the front end of the Sport, which has a number of troubles I've never mentioned but would probably shock anyone else riding it. Before the Spine Raid it'll get fork rebuild, steering head rebuild, brake caliper rebuild and a bit of clean-and-refinish. 
Who's got the WP service book for the forks?

Sorry it was our member in Brisbane with the modified bike with the funny seat. Can't think of his name at present and I'm off to the gym.

Ciao

• Like 1