Shock Replacement

dbarb3

if you do buy them, make sure you specify spring weight for your needs.  And also that you’ll receive the correct thread pitch for the caps- the first set i got had a fine pitch and it took me a while to realise what was preventing them fitting on!

13 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Sorry it was our member in Brisbane with the modified bike with the funny seat. Can't think of his name at present and I'm off to the gym.

Ciao

lol.. my clown seat:grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, stewgnu said:

i had a set in my old v11, they were very good.  The current bike has maxton internals so i sold the andreanis cheap to denis.

Any details on the maxton units? They might also be an option for me.

Ciao

5 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Ciao

Hi Phil, sorry man unfortunately I can’t be much help there, the previous owner had them fitted quite a few years ago- I’m not even sure about how the adjustments work on them!  I was going to contact Maxton to see whether they have info that’d be useful for me.  

Mine could be a bit tired by now, i don’t know, but i’m much lighter that the po so perhaps not an issue?

Have to say, with all the various bits of suspension i’ve tried over the years on the v11, the best return for me has been making sure the tyre pressures were bob on!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, knumbnutz said:

lol.. my clown seat:grin:

So what forks did you install the Andreani units in? were they originally damper rod forks? black or silver stanchions? Year model? Andreani don't list carts for the earlier 99-2000 models I think due to the axle bracket fitting internally suited to the damper rod style fork. 

Ciao 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 8:10 AM, Lucky Phil said:

So what forks did you install the Andreani units in? were they originally damper rod forks? black or silver stanchions? Year model? Andreani don't list carts for the earlier 99-2000 models I think due to the axle bracket fitting internally suited to the damper rod style fork. 

Ciao 

The forks were originally Black. The bike has a slightly checked history, apparently it was a Lemans and the owner removed the fairing so it was a naked when i got it. 2001 yr

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 11:21 AM, Lucky Phil said:

Ciao

Update:  Now i’ve put fresh wheel bearings in, the suspension feels very good.  There’s no preload or compression adjustment on these maxtons and, weirdly, the extremes of the rebound clicks give either a ‘concrete’ or ‘zebedee’ setting that leaves me confused as to who would need them, and for what purpose… but in the middle there’s a few clicks of nice, compliant suspension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stewgnu said:

Extra bonus- i thought the pulsing on the brakes was warped discs.  Nope, was bollixed wheels bearings

Variable brake lever freeplay is also a symptom of bad wheel bearings. The wheel moving around pushes the pads back into the callipers during cornering.

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wow. That would be some pretty bad wheel bearings.

Way back when I hopped on the wife's V11 for a ride and it scared me. The rear wheel bearings had failed and there was considerable play in the rear wheel, making it ride like it had rear wheel steering. I said to the wife "what the hell, why didn't you say something". But it had happened slow enough over time that she had just adapted to it and thought it was normal. Amazing what some people can adapt to. Sometimes it takes a fresh take on something.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

Way back when I hopped on the wife's V11 for a ride and it scared me. The rear wheel bearings had failed and there was considerable play in the rear wheel, making it ride like it had rear wheel steering. I said to the wife "what the hell, why didn't you say something". But it had happened slow enough over time that she had just adapted to it and thought it was normal. Amazing what some people can adapt to. Sometimes it takes a fresh take on something.

The effects certainly were, but with the wheel gripped between my shins the play thru the ‘bars was almost imperceptable.  I was rather pleased with the fix- £18 for 2 bearings vs £200 for a new disc!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

Not as bad as you think docc. I owned a Ducati ST2 for a few years that I'd bought off a friend and he's always complained about it's vague steering and asked me to take it for a ride and see what I thought. I suspected it was an unevenly worn front tyre. Anyway I ended up buying it from him and used it to commute to work for a bit and it started to display varying front brake lever free play. Come to a stop at the lights after a straight road and a previous straight stop and the lever was fine. After a few bends and use the brake and lots of lever free play. Had me a bit confused until I pulled the front wheel to replace the tyre and noticed with the callipers off the wheel had about 1-2mm of lateral movement at the rim when you tried to twist the wheel. The bearings were badly worn but not falling apart. 1-2mm at the rim is probably only .2 or.3mm in the bearing which means it's totally gone of course but not spitting balls out or anything. Anyway new front tyre and wheel bearings the steering's perfect and the lever free play back to normal. I'd say 90% of the steering issues and 100% of the brake problem was wheel bearings.

Badly shot rear wheel bearings on a V11 Sport = clattery off beat vibration/feeling through either foot peg on a floating throttle. 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Update on shock and forks.

I've never ridden  Penske or the like, the only after market shock I've had is a Hyperpro.  I believe the M Shock that I installed is equal to or better than the mid line Hyperpro that I had on the 1200 Sport.

I had Guzzi Tech revalve and respring forks so motor bike definitely is much more comfortable and handles way better.

If you are looking for reasonable suspension upgrades I can recommend both.

• Like 2