Renewing pork chops (side plates)

FreyZI

Removed side plate (one side at a time; replaced with nice silver plates).  The pic below is the left plate just with me picking off the loose flakes.

20220202_220640.jpg

I've read in other posts that the pot metal Guzzi used on these pork cops has so many impurities that off-gassing during powder coating baking has lead to not great results.  Likewise, some have said that anodized finish is not good.  Some have had success with paint under clear.  

These parts clearly take a beating, so I'd like as durable a finish as possible.  Also, I'd be happy to drop these of at my local powder coater and have them deal with it instead of me goofing it up with paint.  Has anyone out there had success with anodizing or powder coating pork chops?  If not, I'll order some paint.

15 hours ago, FreyZI said:

Removed side plate (one side at a time; replaced with nice silver plates).  The pic below is the left plate just with me picking off the loose flakes.

20220202_220640.jpg

I've read in other posts that the pot metal Guzzi used on these pork cops has so many impurities that off-gassing during powder coating baking has lead to not great results.  Likewise, some have said that anodized finish is not good.  Some have had success with paint under clear.  

These parts clearly take a beating, so I'd like as durable a finish as possible.  Also, I'd be happy to drop these of at my local powder coater and have them deal with it instead of me goofing it up with paint.  Has anyone out there had success with anodizing or powder coating pork chops?  If not, I'll order some paint.

You can get powder coating that mimics anodising these days. here's an example. The gassing off thing sound like rubbish to me.

20211229_152317.jpg

Ciao

6 hours ago, FreyZI said:

20220202_220640.jpg

Those look like cracks to me. :o I would look at them long and hard before deciding they were sound.

• Like 3

I've had one set powder coated flat black and another candy apple red.  I recommend it for durability, looks, and ease of cleaning. The only problem is if they get a little powder in the fine threads for the swingarm pivots. Ask the powder coater to be extra careful with the masking there. If they do get powder on the threads, I found that Rust Oleum's Aircraft Remover will dissolve it. Just dab it in the threads with a Q-tip, wipe out the worst of it, then run one of the pivot pins all the way through from the inside. BTW - that Aircraft Remover is the only chemical that has damaged the epoxy coating on my garage floor.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chuck said:

Those look like cracks to me. :o I would look at them long and hard before deciding they were sound.

Chuck, what look like cracks in the metal are in fact where the cracks in the finish were before I peeled the loose finish off.  The grime accumulated under those cracks and remained there giving the appearance of cracks in the metal.

1 hour ago, Scud said:

I've had one set powder coated flat black and another candy apple red.  I recommend it for durability, looks, and ease of cleaning. The only problem is if they get a little powder in the fine threads for the swingarm pivots. Ask the powder coater to be extra careful with the masking there. If they do get powder on the threads, I found that Rust Oleum's Aircraft Remover will dissolve it. Just dab it in the threads with a Q-tip, wipe out the worst of it, then run one of the pivot pins all the way through from the inside. BTW - that Aircraft Remover is the only chemical that has damaged the epoxy coating on my garage floor.

Chemical or mechanical means to strip the finish that didn't just flake off?  How does that old finish respond to media blasting?  If blasted, do I need to polish before powder coating to get that deep-looking finish?

1 hour ago, FreyZI said:

Chuck, what look like cracks in the metal are in fact where the cracks in the finish were before I peeled the loose finish off.  The grime accumulated under those cracks and remained there giving the appearance of cracks in the metal.

FWIW, the cracks in the finish "may" have been caused by the pork chop taking a hit. If it were mine, I'd NDT it. Hard to tell from a picture, of course. :huh2:

• Like 1

I've never done my own media blasting or powder coating. I use a local shop. All they ask is that parts are stripped of seals and bearings and totally degreased. They strip the old finish off as part of the service. If you're referring to the deep-looking finish of the candy-apple parts I had done, that was a multi-stage powder coat and more expensive than the flat black.

Chemical and mechanical for getting powder coat out of threads - stripper plus run a bolt through the treads with the stripper still in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scud said:

41 minutes ago, Scud said:

I've never done my own media blasting or powder coating. I use a local shop. All they ask is that parts are stripped of seals and bearings and totally degreased. They strip the old finish off as part of the service. If you're referring to the deep-looking finish of the candy-apple parts I had done, that was a multi-stage powder coat and more expensive than the flat black.

Chemical and mechanical for getting powder coat out of threads - stripper plus run a bolt through the treads with the stripper still in.

I’ve had 2 sets of pork chops powder coated at a local powder coating shop. They shot blasted the old finish off, and masked the threads with excellent results. Much more durable than the original red paint (these are off red frame bikes), and no issues with longevity. This one was done 2 years ago and it’s pristine 

9219B3D2-B6F7-4048-9226-D66F3594093B.jpeg

• Like 3

My Greenies pork chops, powder coated around a year agp

A34E5974-2F88-43F5-8A16-DA1C90CB6AC8.png

• Like 1

Flat black powder coating generously applied to pork chops and many other bits.

IMG_7040.jpg

Candy apple red plates and covers on Champagne.

IMG_7476.jpg

Close up of those same candy-red plates that I migrated to the Nero Corsa.

B28F9780-FF09-480E-ABE2-A49A29B977CA_1_1

• Like 2