Gasket sealants

nobleswood

Having read many of the articles here, I wanted to ask about what gasket sealants members use & recommend.

ThreeBond's 1194 comes up as a gearbox sealant on Lucky Phils gearshift thread. That seems to have been replaced with Threebond 1184.

Threebond 1211 was in an engine build article somewhere.

Jim Hamlin likes using Threebond 1207B when re-attaching the two sections of a CARC unit together.

Appreciate the advice.

• Like 1

I have had success with many different sealants, and think that clean degreased surfaces are most important before using any sealant.

Nicks, bows, scratches on the surfaces need a gap filling sealant.

Any RTV silicone sealant is good, though not for fuel, with the advantage of black or grey colour matching black or silver casings. Threebond 1200 series is in this group.

Hylomar is good too.

I recently assembled my sump spacer and oil filter unit without gaskets, using Locktite L515 flange sealant, so that the side stand bolt would fit without slotting the hole. (I had just fitted a home made baffle plate).

I have used gaskets dry, and greased on one side, usually with good results. 

Some sealants are also adhesives, so frequently disturbed parts like rocker covers and sump would be better not glued down. Greased gaskets or hylomar are good there.

BTW, putting sealant on o-rings is usually a bad idea.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, docc said:

A very interesting topic after failing to get a good seal on my gear box shift plate two out of the last three times . . .

I’m getting the supplies in to do just that overdue job

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docc said:

A very interesting topic after failing to get a good seal on my gear box shift plate two out of the last three times . . .

I never gave it a thought.. just used Permatex because that was what I had. Hasn't leaked. :huh2:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Pretty sure it is the fault of my "last technician" as my watchmaker and BMW dealer referred to my errant efforts, rather with minimally restrained askance  . . . :unsure:

• Haha 2

On 2/6/2022 at 1:36 PM, nobleswood said:

I’m getting the supplies in to do just that overdue job

I used black RTV on mine, but as Chuck suggested, permatex is good too. A new seal on the shifter shaft is cheap insurance.

• Thanks 1

My "hot stuff" is Hylomar . This was included in an upgrade for a Massy Ferguson tractor engine . I use it a lot on special occasions . It is GREAT ! 

I will go to Fastenal today & check out this stuff . 

• Like 1

Hylomar

I hope this opens up ! The style I have is in the little can on the R.H. side of the page . I didn't realize they sold that many products . If no one in your area , go to eBay or Amazon .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BTW , there was no part # on the container . If it (Hylomar) is used on aircraft engines , I think it is good enough for me . 

If I am correct Lycoming uses this and silk string to seal engine cases and other parts in place of a gasket .

• Like 1