V11 greenie in trouble

laurent

33 minutes ago, docc said:

Interesting, the presence of the LongFrame boss on 2001 V11s!

(No new swingarm, just the later, braced lower rear subframe . . .)

My early 2000 doesn't have the bosses nor does the Centauro engine now in the bike or the 2 other centy cases I have. 

Personally I dont quite understand the extra bracing but then again the engineering rationale that goes on inside Guzzi often leaves me confused. There's so much internal and local politics in Mandello it's sometimes hard to rationalise engineering decisions. I personally would simply have added extra material around the upper mount area and eliminated the sudden cross sectional change and invested about $100 in a few bull nosed cutters for machining the mount faces to remove the total engineering fopar of the sharp edge on a stressed mount. That in particular is such a rookie mistake engineering wise.

Ducati coped with engine case cracking for years on the belt engines and just added extra material and webbing in a quite a few updates which solved the problems. No need for heavy clunky extra bracing when some minor adjustments to casting and machining would solve the issue. Guzzi, try working them out.

Ciao      

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, docc said:

Interesting, the presence of the LongFrame boss on 2001 V11s!

(No new swingarm, just the later, braced lower rear subframe . . .)

I looked at the two different subframes and I see what you're saying docc. I think I'd choose whichever option that didn't require me drilling the case! twice

1 minute ago, deadpen69 said:

I looked at the two different subframes and I see what you're saying docc. I think I'd choose whichever option that didn't require me drilling the case! twice

I mean, your 2001 V11 has the spine frame tab for the upper frame plate? Do that. It's just fasteners and fiddly.  Bacon surgery.

17 minutes ago, docc said:

I mean, your 2001 V11 has the spine frame tab for the upper frame plate? Do that. It's just fasteners and fiddly.  Bacon surgery.

I'm not even all that sure the additional frame member on the later bikes is anything to do with mitigating gearbox cracking. I postulated a few years ago that when they added this they also at the same time changed the front engine support frame to one which was less triangulated and maybe the gearbox brace was to regain some fore and aft support due to this. Dunno. Mario at Thunderbikes Perth an old style Guzzi shop and at one time the original sole importer for Australia has been around Guzzi's for well over 30 years and was closely involved with Ted Stolaski who originally owned the place. Ted  had close ties to the factory and Dr John and Magni and was supplied with pre production prototype Daytona engines straight out of the factory and also the same for the Magni Australia bikes to race here and in Daytona. Anyway Mario goes right back to that era and before in the early 90's with Ted and Guzzi. I spoke to him about the gearbox cracking issue and he'd never heard of it!

I'd be interested to see how many and what models had actually had issues. It's easy here on social media for things to seem more common than they actually are. There must be thousands of bikes out there with no cracking issues still running around.

Ciao      

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When mine was found cracked, under warranty, the dealer said, "Landing wheel stands will do that."

I said I never wheelied it, but his technician said it pulled nice wheelies. He, rather abruptly said he had no recollection of that, whatsoever . . . . :huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok here the follow up. I took my courage (I am new at TIG welding) in hands and built a bracket which I welded to the frame. Then installed the bracket I got from Motivcycle works. As an experiment and to give me more time to find another gearbox /solution I have JB fixed the crack really cleaning it well beforehand. I will feedback and let you know if it is going to leak again....or not:). Also I made a spacer for the gearbox mount, it fits between the lugs and prevents any tension when tightening the bolt

P.s tried to buy a new housing and no one sells them anymore. Now it's either welding or getting a good second hand box.

Here some pictures https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvMw5i-09AkLwAf796UfANGWc3b_

• Like 2

1 hour ago, laurent said:

And this one would be great but it looks like it is also cracked on the RH mounting lug...

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/144447202157

All the others are at least 1000$....