V11 greenie in trouble

laurent

35 minutes ago, laurent said:

Yes saw that one...but look closely at the RH lug...there might be a crack. I did ask confirmation and the seller did not respond yet. Hope to get additional pictures tomorrow. If this gearbox is good...I'd owe you one Paul

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 2.27.15 PM.png

2 hours ago, docc said:

Remember, the Moto Guzzi EV is designated "V11" as well, but runs the 5speed gearbox and Tonti-style frame.

Thanks Docc, that will help me searching with the correct keywords

• Like 1

That Arizona box is worth the closer look. IIRC, a right side mount break is atypical (if ever?).

Still, those images beg the question. Do those lines wipe off?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/XwYAAOSw03NiI78j/s-l1600.jpg

Plus, too many rusty bits to be an Arizona bike.  Maybe came from the salt-air Pacific coast?

16 hours ago, docc said:

That Arizona box is worth the closer look. IIRC, a right side mount break is atypical (if ever?).

Still, those images beg the question. Do those lines wipe off?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/XwYAAOSw03NiI78j/s-l1600.jpg

Plus, too many rusty bits to be an Arizona bike.  Maybe came from the salt-air Pacific coast?

It looks to me that it was pressure washed and the residual grime is concentrated around the RH lug. I found a few reports of RH lugs being cracked....Still waiting for the seller to feedback. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, docc said:

Great news! Congrats!

So, what is the "stuff" hanging in front of the input hub. I cannot figure that out . . .

I don't know at this time...maybe a bad bearing? I just am thrilled to get a non cracked case with lots of spares to boot for less money that I would have to pay a good welder. I will replace all the seals and look inside when I get the gearbox:)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, laurent said:

I don't know at this time...maybe a bad bearing? I just am thrilled to get a non cracked case with lots of spares to boot for less money that I would have to pay a good welder. I will replace all the seals and look inside when I get the gearbox:)

Personally I'd invest in a Dye check kit and learn how to use it. My gearbox that I stripped and reassembles was cracked but not visible to the naked eye and showing no signs of leakage. I dye checked it found the hairline crack and weld repaired and re enforced the area and stress relieved the other mount areas that are stress raisers. My original gearbox isn't showing any signs of cracking or leaking either but you can be sure I'll be dye checking it in the future to be sure and then removing the stress raisers before any further use.

Ciao  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Personally I'd invest in a Dye check kit and learn how to use it. My gearbox that I stripped and reassembles was cracked but not visible to the naked eye and showing no signs of leakage. I dye checked it found the hairline crack and weld repaired and re enforced the area and stress relieved the other mount areas that are stress raisers. My original gearbox isn't showing any signs of cracking or leaking either but you can be sure I'll be dye checking it in the future to be sure and then removing the stress raisers before any further use.

Ciao  

Hey Phil,

it's always a gamble buying second hand but I think I don't have anything to loose buying this gearbox for 250$. If the housing and the inside gremlins are good I am golden....if the inside is crap but the housing is good I am silver plated, I'll use my gearbox internals.....and in the worst case scenario I am getting a bad gearbox with a crack too small for the naked eye to see (much better than my crack). That will allow me to empty it, have it welded up while I still drive my leaking glued together gearbox and at the end of the season I can swap things over and most probably have a bag full of spare parts :) Does this make sense or am I going bonkers?

P.s I most certainly will dye check the gearbox.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laurent said:

Hey Phil,

it's always a gamble buying second hand but I think I don't have anything to loose buying this gearbox for 250$. If the housing and the inside gremlins are good I am golden....if the inside is crap but the housing is good I am silver plated, I'll use my gearbox internals.....and in the worst case scenario I am getting a bad gearbox with a crack too small for the naked eye to see (much better than my crack). That will allow me to empty it, have it welded up while I still drive my leaking glued together gearbox and at the end of the season I can swap things over and most probably have a bag full of spare parts :) Does this make sense or am I going bonkers?

P.s I most certainly will dye check the gearbox.

Didn't say it was a bad deal, in fact it looks like a good deal. Just saying that it would be wise to crack check it before use so you have the opportunity to fix it before getting it together and installed if it is cracked. A crack test should be on the list of things to do if you ever have the gearbox out of the bike these days I think.

Ciao 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

Oh boy, this is was an informative read...scary too. I'll be pulling my swing arm maybe next week and will be able to get eyes on this.  I have a bracket coming to install, hope I have the frame tabs and no cracks in the tranny. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1