Eliminating the Speedo Drive from the Transmission Case

Kane

Hi folks. I would like to ditch the speedo drive and need a little advice on the best way to seal up the transmission case where drive was attached. Soon after getting my ‘01 V11 back on the road my speedo stopped working. When attached to a drill chuck the cable spins the speedo’s needle , so the problem must be the drive at the tranny. Anyway, I know that the plastic angled part is prone to failure, and replacements are expensive and hard to find (I think there is a Ducati part still available that is the same, but it’s like $70 +). Also my trip meter has never worked on my speedo, a stock white face Veglia. It would be really nice to have a trip meter! So, rather than sending the speedo off for repair, and dicking around with repairing/replacing the drive (which seems to be an endangered species), I am thinking of going the Speedhut GPS route.

After removing the angled drive and the shaft piece, what I have left in place on the transmission case is the piece with the male thread that the angled drive and shaft attach to. I have not been able to find any parts diagrams that show this piece, and I am not really sure  if it’s part of the drive as a whole, or what it is doing with the transmission. 
So, if I am going to eliminate the speedo drive from the top of the transmission case and go with a GPS speedo, do I simply cap off the top of the male threaded bit, or should I remove this piece from the transmission case? And if so, what can I expect to be taking out, are there any other pieces that need to come out? And lastly, what is the best thing to use to plug up the hole? 
I have seen many threads here on replacing the speedo, but have yet to find specific info on plugging up the case where the drive once was. Perhaps it’s so obvious that it goes without saying, and I am just a dullard with trepidations when it comes to doing anything that could result in drive bits being left behind and getting mixed up inside of the transmission. Thank you for any guidance and advice on this!

09A314FC-FB38-49F8-8DE5-93D2CB726014.jpeg

11228E53-C910-4AC8-8235-CBD724FA8C23.jpeg

• Like 1

There is a series of posts I made in "Installing Speedhut Gauges" in How to  . . .

Let me look for the post specific to the cap. Know that if you decide to remove the drive from the gear box, there are TWO (2) thrust washers that need to come out!

Here is a link to the post showing the drive, but with only one of the washers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just FYI, If anyone is looking for the stock set up......these work very well on the V-11......this seller usually has them..ships fast

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163457296461?hash=item260ed0684d:g:WSkAAOSw~gRVhJ~h

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do NOT remove the part on the gearbox.

Remove the thread part on the wrecked angel drive - and put a rubber disc (which you can make yourself) onto the male part on the gearbox - and screw on the female part.

Thereby you seal from water to enter the gearbox.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Teo Lamers (Holland) has a replacement wire that works without the angel drive. I do not have the article number at hand. Maybe tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, docc said:

….Know that if you decide to remove the drive from the gear box, there are TWO (2) thrust washers that need to come out!….

docc, thank you for that important information! I had looked at that thread but must have missed that post. When I pull the protruding drive component—the threaded male piece—from the gearbox will the two thrust washers come out with it, or will I need to somehow fish them out of the gearbox hole? Are they stacked upon each other or in different places?
i don’t know why I can’t find a clear diagram of these pieces in the on-line parts catalogs. The “Dash” page  shows the angle drive and the male threaded piece that comes out of the gearbox case, called an “odometer gear”, but no thrust washers. And the “Transmisson cage” page shows the view from the left side and even omits the oil filler plug. What am I missing? I am using the files on the AF1Racing site.

Thanks, too, for posting the link for the cap to plug the hole. That looks like a clean option to match the oil filler plug.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rolf Halvorsen said:

Do NOT remove the part on the gearbox.

Remove the thread part on the wrecked angel drive - and put a rubber disc (which you can make yourself) onto the male part on the gearbox - and screw on the female part.

Thereby you seal from water to enter the gearbox.

I hope you understand what I mean.

@Rolf Halvorsen, thank you for this, and for the links and info on a simpler and better cable alternative to the problematic angle drive.

Why do you say to not remove the male threaded part that comes out of the gearbox? If I am not going to use the speedometer cable drive, why not get the cleanest look for the gearbox by removing the part and plugging the hole with a simple filler plug? What’s the concern?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kane said:

docc, thank you for that important information! I had looked at that thread but must have missed that post. When I pull the protruding drive component—the threaded male piece—from the gearbox will the two thrust washers come out with it, or will I need to somehow fish them out of the gearbox hole? Are they stacked upon each other or in different places?
i don’t know why I can’t find a clear diagram of these pieces in the on-line parts catalogs. The “Dash” page  shows the angle drive and the male threaded piece that comes out of the gearbox case, called an “odometer gear”, but no thrust washers. And the “Transmisson cage” page shows the view from the left side and even omits the oil filler plug. What am I missing? I am using the files on the AF1Racing site.

Thanks, too, for posting the link for the cap to plug the hole. That looks like a clean option to match the oil filler plug.

Yeah, I like the clean look of removing the drive and plugging the hole.

IMG_2022.JPG.jpeg

The trouble is retrieving the lower thrust washer (I'll look for that on the parts diagram). This is how mine came out - the upper washer is visible, below, on the screw-in part that is inverted in this view. The lower washer, apparently, is below the geared shaft and did not pull out with it . . .

gallery_328_223_285675.jpeg

I was VERY lucky that the lower thrust washer found its way to be captured, perfectly, on the gearbox magnetic drain plug, below:

IMG_3067.jpg

• Thanks 1

The washers are part of an assembly (odometer gear GU04762500) depicted in the 1999-2000 Parts Catalog under Frame/Dashboard (#5, below).

I do believe I can make out those two washers, but it is vague . . .

Dashboard-MOTO-GUZZI-MOTO-GUZZI-MOTORCYC

• Like 1

Yes, you were very lucky! Kind of crazy how the washer settled onto the drain plug like that!
It sounds like a thrust washer falling into the gearbox is a risk involved with removing that piece.

• Like 1