Why a Moto Guzzi? moreover, why a V11 anyway? curious? nostalgic? are you odd? just an opportunity? no? what then?

p6x

'Guzzi released the LeMans 1 when I was 15. I fell in love with the cans, as all 15 year olds do.

My family owns Dyna/Reno motorcycles, and I visited when I was 18; my Uncle's friend left the shop on his souped-up Eldorado with Continental mufflers, winding it out pretty hard. 
It only took me another 22 years to come up with both an opportunity and enough money to own one, the '85 LM1000. I'd been lusting after the 1100 Sport since the introduction of the Daytona, and was friends with Ron McGill who rode Dr. John's development bikes on track. 

It was inevitable. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

I own one because I'm into self flagellation.

Ciao

I believe there is a masochistic streak to own one.   But I got into it innocently. 

I wanted a two up bike with bags on it, I noticed that I could get an EV for about $4k (2007 dollars) vs $6k for a used Japanese cruiser  or $10k for a Harley.  The local mechanic said they were pretty "sporty" and he could work on it.  Bought that bike and really enjoyed the ride and handling despite that it only has 60HP (69K miles on it now).  Then I went to the Guzzi National Salida CO and saw a Greenie and wanted one until I got one.  Again, I like the feel and handling and the power curve makes up for any HP deficit (48k miles now).  Then I got a Ducati (22k miles now).  Same deal, I like the feel and handling, there's something about Italian bikes that fit me.

Unlike my Guzzis, so far the Duc has been totally reliable although major service at 18k wasn't cheap and I've been through a boat load of tires.  Of course the Duc is much newer and doesn't have near the mileage.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Yeah, the "Desmo service" will put a hurt on the pocketbook!

Actually, the labor was no more than a 16v 4 cyl.  What got me was parts costs and neglecting to shop around.  I was heading on a ride that just came together and had to rely on getting the parts from the dealer.  I didn't think it would be THAT bad. 

Well.. they charged $45 for plugs that were less than $20 at NAPA and and $90 for each belt (x 2) that were $60 on the 'net.  I already knew what the filter and oil would cost and decided to eat that.  So I basically threw $100 away just because I was in a hurry and my bad planning.  Dan does warranty work for the dealership but he doesn't get jobber prices.  He usually orders from another dealer out of state but there was no time either way.  I also paid to change the fluid in the forks which was on the schedule but I think unnecessary.  I told him not change the air filter because I knew that was expensive upfront and asked him just to blow it out with air.  The plugs and belts piss me off the most of the whole deal.

40 minutes ago, leroysch said:

They said Italian bikes are a chick magnet.

My current experience is that they're all re-coiled. :huh2:

This is because they can see you already have a gorgeous, and willing, dancing partner. :race:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leroysch said:

Motorcycles don't attract women, they screen out the unworthy ones.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Scud said:

Motorcycles don't attract women, they screen out the unworthy ones.

I was on a trip out east somewhere on the red Norge. I was filling up at a gas station when a beautiful *very* well dressed, uh..older.. :D lady came up to me and said, "I don't drive motorcycles, but if I did, that is the one I would have."

She definitely would have been worthy.. :grin:

• Like 2

The best of the last of the analog bikes.

Also, Guzzis seem female to me. In the good way. They look good, they sound good, they require and respond to attention. Etc.

BMWs always felt male, like, let's go drink fifty beers.

English and Japanese bikes never struck me either way.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cold Desert Rat said:

The best of the last of the analog bikes.

Also, Guzzis seem female to me. In the good way. They look good, they sound good, they require and respond to attention. Etc.

BMWs always felt male, like, let's go drink fifty beers.

English and Japanese bikes never struck me either way.

My V11, she's my Green Goddess. And when I'm with her I feel like a god! Goddamn these are great bikes!

• Like 2

I learned on, and took, my ‘big’ licence on a school’s Fazer 600.  I was riding a cheapo, learner 125 single at the time and even though the 600 had the power i realised i enjoyed riding the single home after lessons more.  It was the sound.  That beat of the engine thudding away gave me a proper grin. 

After i got my licence i bought a w650 cos i knew i wouldn’t love a multi and i loved the ace styling.  It was a superb bike and, in retrospect, perfect for a new rider.  At the time there was an excellent forum for the model too.

Eventually i crashed her by opening the throttle too soon on a wet and sharp bend that had tram tracks- awful road condition combo but a good lesson.

So what to buy next?  Always loved the first gen speed triple 900’s, and Aprilia Falcos looked funky….  Came very close to buying a trx850 (still want one) then i was re-reading an old 1999 issue of Ride magazine which had a tiny article on weird Italian bike.  I think it only had 1 photo of the bike- oddball green colour, loved the styling, and it was a twin.  

I’m possibly a tad vain when it comes to bikes- styling and noise come first for me, couldn’t give 2 hoots about performance really.

V11’s look damn fine.  And with the right pipings sound perfect- booming at low revs and snarling more and more as you open it up.  Perfect.

• Like 4

On 2/17/2022 at 7:18 PM, leroysch said:

My current experience is that they're all re-coiled. :huh2:

In my experience, motorcycles never were chick magnets; or let me rephrase this and be more specific. In Europe, I used to go to discotheques on my motorbike. I changed before getting close to the bouncers at the entrance.

My friends had cars.

I quickly discovered a few inconveniences; when you hook up in the club, having a conversation in a quiet place does not translate well when you are with your motorbike.... also, none of the ladies otherwise interested in knowing me better:P liked that I only had a motorcycle as a mean of transportation. Apparently those expensive hair styling were more important; but it is not my fault if they forget to put on warm clothing in winter, going to a club. :rolleyes:

Which was pretty good for my wallet anyway....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3