Why a Moto Guzzi? moreover, why a V11 anyway? curious? nostalgic? are you odd? just an opportunity? no? what then?

p6x

8 hours ago, Cold Desert Rat said:

The best of the last of the analog bikes.

Also, Guzzis seem female to me. In the good way. They look good, they sound good, they require and respond to attention. Etc.

BMWs always felt male, like, let's go drink fifty beers.

English and Japanese bikes never struck me either way.

Well, you know that in Italian there are two genders, unlike in Germany for example, where you also have a "neutral" gender.

So in Italian, a motorcycle is feminine. Una moto(cicletta. Delle moto(ciclette).

So in English, I don't know, is it a he or a she?

Lots of good reasons described so far.

I only have one question, to which I will never be able to answer;

I grew up during the two strokes/four strokes war!

All my friends were racing on two strokes, and we frowned upon four strokes, until the time when Honda brought the CB 750, we did not feel threatened.

If two strokes engines had not been discontinued, would I own a V11 today? I am not certain... I think maybe.

1 hour ago, p6x said:

Well, you know that in Italian there are two genders, unlike in Germany for example, where you also have a "neutral" gender.

So in Italian, a motorcycle is feminine. Una moto(cicletta. Delle moto(ciclette).

SHE .

Cheers Tom.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, p6x said:

While in the "Romance Languages" the gender is preselected, "American English" is neutral gender. (I cannot speak for our broader English speaking brothers as we are "separated by a common language." ;) )

Yet, as gender pertains to the animism of machines, my motorcycles are decidedly feminine. How could I know? Their beauty and allure? Their vexing way of engaging me in their ways? My inexplicable devotion and unfettered desire to be with them?  Bikes aren't chick magnets. They're dude magnets.  I'm pretty well stuck to mine. :wub:

On the other hand, my tractors and trucks are masculine things. They have scars, and deference, and a certain willingness to serve at their expense. 

My ///M roadster? She confuses me. I parked her ass-end over a curb today, badly. She seemed to say, "Whatever. Just don't do it again."

Is "CowGirl" a special gender? B)

• Like 4

13 hours ago, docc said:

Yet, as gender pertains to the animism of machines, my motorcycles are decidedly feminine. How could I know? Their beauty and allure? Their vexing way of engaging me in their ways? My inexplicable devotion and unfettered desire to be with them?  Bikes aren't chick magnets. They're dude magnets.  I'm pretty well stuck to mine. :wub:

On the other hand, my tractors and trucks are masculine things. They have scars, and deference, and a certain willingness to serve at their expense. 

I have (had) all three: women, men, and neutral.  The first two are BMWs and ladies: Ada (R1200R) and Brunhilde (R1100RL).  Ada is nimble and quick.  Brunhilda is a mother, carrying her one-wheeled cub on her right.  And then third Beemer (F800GS) is a dude, Carl.  I think there was a bit of a leap in finding that the F8 was male, to wit, getting past the idea of straddling and gripping a male.  Out in the wilderness riding the rough stuff and getting dirty, though, I want to be with a dependable, rugged buddy, not a lady.  So, Carl.

Interestingly, the Italian beauty in the fleet is just "the Tenni" or "the Goose" or "the Green Goose".  And the V1000 is "the Popemobile" or "the Rototiller".  Both genderless.  Just MACHINES.  Maybe there's some grace in that: synergy between rider and machine; no need to personify.  Well, with the V11 at least.  The V1000 might as well be a tractor...

Cheers,

Frey

• Haha 2

Okay FreyZI,

Now we reveal their names? :D

The V7 is Bridget: the ingenue/cheerleader, perky, fun

The V11 is Betty: the serious keeper, you'd go to war with her

Think what our wives therapists could do with this thread. :grin:

• Haha 5

Oh, I forgot to mention the other V11.  I haven't actually ridden "it", yet (currently sans rear wheel, drive, and swingarm), so it probably doesn't deserve a name.  But, I've taken to calling it "Bubbles".  I suppose that could be a lady's name :grin:, but that wasn't the inspiration.

23 hours ago, p6x said:

In my experience, motorcycles never were chick magnets; or let me rephrase this and be more specific. In Europe, I used to go to discotheques on my motorbike. I changed before getting close to the bouncers at the entrance.

My friends had cars.

I quickly discovered a few inconveniences; when you hook up in the club, having a conversation in a quiet place does not translate well when you are with your motorbike.... also, none of the ladies otherwise interested in knowing me better:P liked that I only had a motorcycle as a mean of transportation. Apparently those expensive hair styling were more important; but it is not my fault if they forget to put on warm clothing in winter, going to a club. :rolleyes:

Which was pretty good for my wallet anyway....

......or

Chick%20Magnet%20sorrowbacon%20comic_0.j

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, leroysch said:

......or

Chick%20Magnet%20sorrowbacon%20comic_0.j

This is exactly my experience....

I confirmed it with a long time friend of mine! she told me she never cared much for the ride; much more for the rider!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

If you rely on your car or motorcycle to "get the girls" you're already a lost cause.

Ciao

But, but . .  it seemed to work for all those other guys. That weren't me . . . :unsure:

• Like 1

I've only allowed two passengers on my Guzzi; one, my step-mother on her 80th birthday (a cool ol' gal who has passed on, and the other one of the few loves of my life and she's gone on to the joy of married life to someone else. I don't blame her; I've still not "grown up"!...

Edited by billgreenman1
Grammar
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1