Why a Moto Guzzi? moreover, why a V11 anyway? curious? nostalgic? are you odd? just an opportunity? no? what then?

p6x

56 minutes ago, p6x said:

I never thought about giving a name to an object.

Does it not feel strange to tell around:

-" I am going for a ride with "Bubbles", be back soon.... or not!

I knew a Dentist friend who called his bike "House Calls."

His receptionist was trained to say, "No, the Doctor cannot see you today. He is out on House Calls." :race:

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, p6x said:

I never thought about giving a name to an object.

Does it not feel strange to tell around:

-" I am going for a ride with "Bubbles", be back soon.... or not!

Odin's spear was named Gungnir and Thor's hammer was Mjölnir.  Long tradition of naming inanimate objects that are special to ourselves, especially reflecting their qualities. 

• Like 4

On 3/18/2022 at 2:36 PM, Scud said:

Great photo. 

Suspension - don't worry about playing with compression and rebound until you do the most important suspension setting - getting the springs right. You can check sag with the help of a friend. There are a few posts on this site about how to do it. You can get the sag right for you and the bike by adjusting the spring pre-load. (if you can't get sag in range with current springs, you would need different rate springs). The first time I did that on my Scura I swore it was a totally different suspension, or the roads had just been re-paved overnight. After that, play with the compression and rebound if you want to fine-tune. The small effort to learn about suspension settings will pay you back every single mile you ride.

Mountains - I was once on a battlefield tour at Gettysburg (which is in the Southern part of Central Pennsylvania) with a group who were all from the Western US (mostly Washington and California). The guide explains how the Confederate army came in from the mountains. We all start looking around in different directions, and finally somebody asks "where are the mountains?" The guide points at some rolling hills... we weren't trying to be snarky, just had a different idea about the definition of mountain... like the base elevation of mountain is higher than the highest point in the whole state of PA.

...and why a Moto Guzzi? nothing beats the feel of the Guzzi engine under full load climbing a mountain. For example, this is a mountain. Feels like summer at the base, but winter at the summit.

IMG_9213.jpg

• Highest point in Pennsylvania = 3,200 Feet
  • Lowest point in Great Basin National Park (Nevada) > 6,000 feet
  • Mountain Peaks in background > 13,000 feet.

I’ve been wondering why the front end felt awkward in the corners for a month or so- adjusting the suspension didn’t seem to help a great deal.  Turns out the front wheel bearings have a bit of play in them so changing them is today’s job.  That along with tyre pressures I think is crucial.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, FreyZI said:

Odin's spear was named Gungnir and Thor's hammer was Mjölnir.  Long tradition of naming inanimate objects that are special to ourselves, especially reflecting their qualities. 

I had a girlfriend a long time ago, she had given a name to her prohibited fruit. "Juliet".

There is nothing more odd than having someone telling you: "Juliet is not available today", or "Juliet is out of commission", or "Juliet is not in the mood".

But I got your point with the Scandinavian naming.

We had to study the "Song of Roland" at school. Durandal/Durendal was his Sword. (Link provided).

I am trying to think if I want to call my Le Mans something, but I don't feel it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/11/2022 at 4:21 AM, billgreenman1 said:

My burgundy V11 sport is named "Rose" from "Cracklin' Rose" ( concert nostalgia) when she's behaving, and "Heavy Fu@%ing B!+&h" when she isn't and needs to be pushed or towed....

haha!  i nearly dropped a lung pushing mine about 50 yards up a slight incline.

good job they rarely break down 😀

• Haha 1

On 4/10/2022 at 4:51 PM, Rox Lemans said:

Why a Guzzi? Why a V11? Why not??? 

There is no reason why not have one. That is the point. However, only a few chosen ones understood the call to get one.

We still don't know how many V11 (all models) were ever manufactured, so we don't know how many understood the importance of getting one.

I know, it is a futile argument. But Guzzi were never a popular choice; rather some kind of connoisseur decision. Even in Italy, there still are apart in their own niche. 

Myself I wanted a Le Mans since the 850 came out. I was based in Italy from 1981 until 1991. I bought a Harley instead.

• Like 4

I fell in love with the Guzzi's sound first, at the Vintage Days at Mid-Ohio. A guy with a 70s Ambassador was riding with a guy riding a Vincent Black Shadow and they shared a parking place with me at one of the hotels. They looked as relaxed as me having covered similar distances as me with my GS1100. The Guzzi guy was talking about the V11 as they were newer then. I thought to myself; someday....

• Like 5

Why a Guzzi? Why a V11?

Well, I have enjoyed Ducati v-twins for several years, and wanted something different, European, but air-cooled.

I have always admired the style of the V11 Sport/LeMans, but they were even more rare than Ducatis.

I began researching V11 Sports here, and after a couple months, I set aside a sum of money and started my search. I searched for a motorcycle I had never rode, sat on, even seen in person! I put a lot of faith in having a V11 and enjoying it.

Well, I found one posted on eBay, and placed a bid, and lost. The seller reached out saying it would go for less if we skipped the eBay seller's fees. So, for $5500.00, plus $650.00 shipped to my Guzzi dealer, I had my bike after a month.

$2k for seals, tires, tune-up, and other maint., and she was ready to ride...and for winter storage.

Just last week, I finally got to fill her with 93 and take her out, and I wasn't let down. I'm in love.

I love my Ducatis, but a big Guzzi really is something special. No regrets.

Get one...as they will never be cheaper than they are now.

Guzzi gas 2.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, VtwinStorm said:

Why a Guzzi? Why a V11?

Well, I have enjoyed Ducati v-twins for several years, and wanted something different, European, but air-cooled.

I have always admired the style of the V11 Sport/LeMans, but they were even more rare than Ducatis.

I began researching V11 Sports here, and after a couple months, I set aside a sum of money and started my search. I searched for a motorcycle I had never rode, sat on, even seen in person! I put a lot of faith in having a V11 and enjoying it.

Well, I found one posted on eBay, and placed a bid, and lost. The seller reached out saying it would go for less if we skipped the eBay seller's fees. So, for $5500.00, plus $650.00 shipped to my Guzzi dealer, I had my bike after a month.

$2k for seals, tires, tune-up, and other maint., and she was ready to ride...and for winter storage.

Just last week, I finally got to fill her with 93 and take her out, and I wasn't let down. I'm in love.

I love my Ducatis, but a big Guzzi really is something special. No regrets.

Get one...as they will never be cheaper than they are now.

Guzzi gas 2.jpg

If you like air cooled Ducatis you'll love Guzzis. And if you like Ducati Monsters you'll love a V11. I consider the V11 the Monster's curvier, bigger breasted flirtier cousin. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Rox Lemans said:

If you like air cooled Ducatis you'll love Guzzis. And if you like Ducati Monsters you'll love a V11. I consider the V11 the Monster's curvier, bigger breasted flirtier cousin. 

This is actually something good to consider!

Owning both an Air cooled Monster AND a V11 Guzzi.

What would be the best Monster to purchase? perhaps the Monster 1100 EVO, so the V11 would have a real sister?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rox Lemans said:

When my V11 isn't misfiring, yes! lol

• Like 1