The Mighty Scura gets new stewardship..

Chuck

I realized that my time with the old girl was over at the Kentucky rally this year. I had Dorcia on the back, and my steadily lessening strength was becoming an issue at low speeds. I even dabbed a time or two.. I never do that.. leaving a stop. (sigh) Time continues on, though, and I'm a realist if nothing else. I asked a couple of guys if they wanted to take over, and my first choice did. :bier:

It's certainly a sad moment for me. I've had 10 years with the old girl, and she taught me to dance. My favorite bike of all time, but as some wise person once said, "A guy's gotta know his limitations."

Colt..good guy, enthusiast, and aircraft mechanic, will be the Mighty Scura's new keeper. Give him a warm welcome when he shows up. :thumbsup:

IMG_20220217_124132393_HDR.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

There will always be a place at the South'n Spine Ride for the AeroLario! Y'all come back now, ya hear?  :bier:

Colt looks thrilled (as well he should be with that very special Scura)! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I've never done two-up the Sport.  Never taken the seat cowl off it.  OTOH, I don't think Bev is interested in riding anymore.  Too many aches and too long of stretches getting on and off.  And I'll admit that these bikes feel a little heavier and my legs seem a little shorter.  :huh:

The 'Fabled' power wheelie is fucking effortless on that thing. In first or second. If I play my cards right I can do the same in first on my Griso with at least +15 hp and more torque everywhere. I can clutch the G up in second and even third with serious abuse but I don't do that shit much any more.

The Mighty Scura would pop up with no clutch in either of the lower two and not much more than a stroke in third if approached in anger. It is a stupidly, stupidly fun motorbike. If I ever get back to the US I'd be willing to beg the current owner for a short ride just to get that shit-eating grin again!

Blasting across the west Texas deserts with Sean on his Coppa with the tacho showing 7,000 for hours was a blast. Even though it was hotter than hades and when we stopped for fuel we'd fill our riding gear with ice to cool down. By the time we stopped again two hours later we'd be bone dry again.

Fabulous times....

Fabulous bike! 

• Like 5

Hmm, power wheelies. Sounds like my misspent hooligan youth. I guess that's what happens when you drop a kid brought up riding the Southern California deserts on a road legal bike. He rides it like a dirt bike. What a shock. Now older if not wiser I try not to attract too much attention from the authorities. Loosing my Drivers License these days would have a very negative effect on my ability to generate revenue.

Yeah, West Texas. Went through there a couple years ago on the GRiSO. 90+ on winding hilly two lane roads, no driveways, no mailboxes all day. Why not?

Looking forward to actually getting on and riding this thing. Damn snow, damn it!

On 2/18/2022 at 10:44 AM, pete roper said:

The Mighty Scura would pop up with no clutch in either of the lower two and not much more than a stroke in third if approached in anger. It is a stupidly, stupidly fun motorbike. If I ever get back to the US I'd be willing to beg the current owner for a short ride just to get that shit-eating grin again!

What work has been done on that Scura? 

(hope all's good w you Pete). 

• Like 1

Keith! We didn't even know whether you were alive or dead! Lovely to hear from you again.

As to what has been done to the 'Mighty Scura'? Nobody knows for sure but Chuck found out it has Mike Rich heads, probably special pistons, Ti or ChroMo pushrods and who knows what other 'Whoop-te-do' stuff. 

When I bought it the first thing I did was send it to MPH and got Mike and the boys to swap out the single plate clutch for a twin plate and stick a factory airbox back in, (It had pods when I bought it.). It had a Power Commander on it and when bikes were running the 15M this system, although crude, could be made to work. Whoever programmed it obviously knew what they were doing. Nowadays I'd suggest just building a map but this bike runs so stupidly well, why bother.

I also got the suspension upgraded because the original springs were woefully inadequate. Going to Rosso Corsa specs solved all the Scura 'Death Wish' issues.

Apart from that I can tell you nothing. Chuck probably knows more.......

• Like 3

Chuck probably knows more

Not really. When I discovered the titanium pushrods, I called Mike Rich. When I told him what history I knew of it, he said, "Oh, I remember that bike." (!) He keeps records of the heads he does,  and looked it up. Said they were some of the best Guzzi heads he had ever done, but he didn't build the engine. That was FBF, and he knew nothing about that.

He told me what they did on the flow bench, but needless to say, I don't remember. :oldgit:

• Like 1

Hmmm . . . this is all seeming very mysterious. In a good way!

Chuck had mentioned the Ti push rods and Mike Rich, the Power Commander and suspension settings. I was wondering if it had timing gears or chain. Really, that's it. I haven't taken the time to explore the thumb drive provided with the bike. I assumed, bad on me, that this information would be contained there. I'll probably look at the files next week. Not crying, not sad. I also know from decades of working on big complex machines that when it's working you stop trying to "fix" it. Regular service, health monitoring and parts changes on time or condition.

Now, what's up with this weather. I want 70 and sunny. NOW !

• Haha 1

So interesting to see the details on this rather iconic V11! :mg:

I had always thought Pete had it "done-up." Obviously "more to the story" . . .

Any ideas who had the initial work done by Mike Rich and FBF?

("Now there's a pride of lions to draw to.")

• Like 1