The Mighty Scura gets new stewardship..

Chuck

Any ideas who had the initial work done by Mike Rich and FBF?

My understanding is the original owner was a Dr. from New Hampshire. Pete might know..

• Thanks 1

Alas no. It was ages ago. It came up at a good price although I can't remember what I paid. I had it shipped to MPH and had them piss off the single plate clutch and install a twin plater off, from memory, a Centauro and re-fit an original airbox rather than the shitty pods it had on it.

Apart from replacing some relays that failed and a rear brake lever I broke when I tossed it away in, I think, New Mexico I never laid a tool on it and know next to nothing of its origins.

• Like 1

My understanding is that Fast by Feracchi FBF are closed now so no asking them.

My experience; when I bought my Griso, they were the original dealer that first sold the bike & had done some recall work. When I called them up they had a record of the work done.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.Ā  Sounds like a really well sorted bike. Lucky Colt - hope you enjoy it!

Thanks, Pete. Good to see you're still alive & kicking. They still ask in the pub about the big baldy fella who dropped in for a beer one evening. I plead ignoranceĀ :huh:Ā Scura exploded UJ some years ago, I got the bits to fix it but never got round to it. Tonti went in the shed to delink the brakes, but never came out. Hence my absence from this place. One day. All the best, mate.Ā 

KB:sun:Ā 

• Like 2

On 2/23/2022 at 9:27 AM, Chuck said:

My understanding is the original owner was a Dr. from New Hampshire.

I seem to recall itā€™s often been saidā€¦ a Dr from over East.Ā Are you absolutely sure itā€™s New Hampshire Chuck?

Do we all really think this superlative performance is just the result of some lucky random act of someone pulling together a few selected parts? Or is it the refined outcome of an experienced masterful intellect?

Letā€™s hear again from someone who isnā€™t so easily impressedā€¦Ā 

TheĀ Mighty Scura would pop up with no clutch inĀ either of the lower two and not much more than a stroke in third if approached in anger. It is a stupidly, stupidly fun motorbike.

So letā€™s sleuth this out a little moreā€¦

ā€¢ Stupendous performance

ā€¢ From a Guzzi

ā€¢ A Dr

Hmmmā€¦ what would be the odds that there are two Drā€™s out East that somehow know how to produce more awesome street power than anyone else outta a spiney Guzzi?

Ha! Iā€™ll tell you that answer - nil, zilch.

So Chuck - the question has to be asked, ā€œAre you sure that Dr isnā€™t from West Chester?ā€

A Guzzi. A Dr.

Maybe East - like in

West ChesterĀ 

Pennsylvania.

Okayā€¦ so letā€™s drill down just a little more hereā€¦

Mike Rich remembers doing those heads & they ended up producing some of the best flow figures heā€™d ever produced right.

Mike also keeps those flow figures in his records but somehow doesnā€™t seem to mention to Chuck when he rang whether he also keeps the record of whoever it was who placed the order (yeah right).

Iā€™d propose that client discretion was likely Mikeā€™s policy in speaking to Chuck.

Mike also indicated he didnā€™t build the motor - it was presumably put together by the owner. Along with the order of Mikeā€™s Ā titanium pushrods remember. Hmmm.

This some dumb Dr sure seems to know what heā€™s doing. (How many Drā€™s do you know who are also mechanically minded - but I digress).

Mike also happens to be based in Newfoundland PA.

Chuck believes Dr is from New Hampshire becauseā€¦

22 hours ago, Chuck said:

From memory..:oldgit::rolleyes: there was a New Hampshire sticker on the fork leg.

Okay - letā€™s stay with that for a moment. New Hampshire - where is that? Letā€™s search Google maps. Oh, the capital Concord happens to be a mere 320 miles North-East away from Mikeā€™sā€¦

Hmmm - soĀ what are those odds? This mystery Dr who just so happens to have conceived & produced the most mental 2-valver Pete Roper has ever popped a scabby leg over.

Ā 

Itā€™s all conjecture - but itā€™s all about the odds here & whether they stack up.

So letā€™s see if we can find someone - a Dr - who has the requisite knowledge to produce such legendary performance as is the wit of the Mighty Scura.

So here we arrive at the confluence - it also just so happens that a mere 120 miles South of Mike Rich is one of the best places to live in Pennsylvania - a leafy suburb called West Chester.

Also the home of a Dr John Wittner.

Thatā€™s more than a mere happenstance.

A Dr - the original owner/developer of the Mighty Scura.

Coincidence?

Yeah right.

• Haha 1

Coincidence :rasta:

All the "what if" and "what about" really don't mean much aside from entertainment value. Don't confuse correlational with causation.

Sure, make a mental note. You never know when you might meet "a guy" who really knows. Guzzi riders being pretty thin on the ground anywhere.

You just never know who you may run into.

I'm still waiting on the weather.

Ā 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ratso88 said:

Coincidence :rasta:

All the "what if" and "what about" really don't mean much aside from entertainment value. Don't confuse correlational with causation.

Sure, make a mental note. You never know when you might meet "a guy" who really knows. Guzzi riders being pretty thin on the ground anywhere.

You just never know who you may run into.

I'm still waiting on the weather.

Yup. Iā€™m just more comfortable conjecturing odds & dots Ratso88 than the perpetual myth alternative.

Your observation - Guzzi riders being pretty thin on the ground. Absolutely!

Even lessā€¦ Drā€™s!

Dr John - Mighty Scura could!

But sure, you might Ā be right & meet a guy - some Dr - who really knows.

FF027873-E36D-47CF-A832-FAC08159DAD4.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

EDIT:Ā Ā Mistake, it doesn't appear that Dr. John Wittner has passed away.

Ā 

If someone were really interested, I'm sure someone could reach out to Dr. Wittner's estate to see if they knew if this bike had been owned by him.

Similarly since Dr. Wittner has passed away, Mike Rich might answer the question more directly now *if* he actually knows who the customer was.

On that note; I have my flow charts from Mike Rich and they clearly have my name on themĀ ;)

Edited by al_roethlisberger
Mistake: It doesn't appear that Dr. John Wittner has passed away.

16 minutes ago, al_roethlisberger said:

If someone were really interested, I'm sure someone could reach out to Dr. Wittner's estate to see if they knew if this bike had been owned by him.

Similarly since Dr. Wittner has passed away, Mike Rich might answer the question more directly now *if* he actually knows who the customer was.

On that note; I have my flow charts from Mike Rich and they clearly have my name on themĀ ;)

I am sorry to hear, but somehow must have missed . . . Dr. John Wittner has passed?

R.I.P.