Today was the day of the rookies.... Marc Marquez will abort his season to get yet a fourth operation as he is now convinced he cannot perform in his current physical condition. I am wondering if he will be able to ever come back to his former self.

However what really surprised me, is the lack of spectators at the Grand-Prix. Usually, the Mugello is always full, but this year, it seems to be deserted. Many attributes the lack of interest with the departure of Valentino Rossi.

• Haha 1

This season has certainly been unpredictable...attendance does seem to be down this year due to Rossi's retirement...certainly noticed that also at COTA.  Rain or shine tomorrow?   That may determine whether the rookies stay up front or get pushed back...either way, another interesting race coming up.

• Like 1
On 5/28/2022 at 2:16 PM, PJPR01 said:

This season has certainly been unpredictable...attendance does seem to be down this year due to Rossi's retirement...certainly noticed that also at COTA.  Rain or shine tomorrow?   That may determine whether the rookies stay up front or get pushed back...either way, another interesting race coming up.

Well, Marquez is getting a fourth surgery on his right arm, so 2022 is done and over for him. Everyone is wondering if he is ever going to be able to come back to the front, where he aims to be.

As for the lack of spectators at the Mugello, the costs have also gone up unreasonably, when you compare to the Le Mans GP, which was considerably less, on top of offering two concerts and a show for the price. I stayed in Austin on Saturday night, and for the first time, I got charged the infamous "resort fee" that originated in La Vegas. It seems like every business is using the Airlines technique to hide the fees. No more free parking either, it is Valet only. I was on four wheels this time, but I am planning to return with my Le Mans, and see how the Valet manages....

The attendance has been a mixed bag, some rounds of MotoGP having attendance up while others have been down. I imagine the costs play a large part in that, I heard the French round had reasonable ticket prices while other rounds have had high ticket prices.

It will be interesting to see if Marc Marquez can come back from this surgery and return to the front. Or it could be the beginning of the end for him. I hope not.

I am very happy Aprilia is going to have a second team. But I am dumbfounded as to why they signed Vinales for two more years. It will be interesting to see who they sign to ride the other two bikes. There is certainly no shortage of top level riders with no ride after Suzuki has bailed and Jack Miller is likely to be out at Ducati. We may get Rins and Miller on the other two Aprilia's.

I am not sure why people are so excited to see Mir at Honda. The Honda doesn't seem that far off of the front, but I really don't know if Mir is the guy to get that last little bit out of it. Mir doesn't seem like the kind of racer who is worth that little bit extra, he is usually more the consistent guy who only won one race on his way to the title. Rins seems to have more speed than Mir, you just need to get Rins to stop crashing so much. Easier to teach the faster guy to crash less than teach the slower guy to go faster.

• Like 2

Just ahead of the Catalunya GP, Fabio Quartararo has renewed his association with Yamaha for two more years.

No surprise there. I don't think he had any real alternative. None of the potential other bikes had an inline engine architecture, and I am quasi certain he spoke to Zarco about the odds of switching to V.

With Mir and Rins homeless, bargaining power was probably not at its best. Now that we almost know where everyone is going or staying, remains the second fiddles.

1 hour ago, p6x said:

Just ahead of the Catalunya GP, Fabio Quartararo has renewed his association with Yamaha for two more years.

No surprise there. I don't think he had any real alternative. None of the potential other bikes had an inline engine architecture, and I am quasi certain he spoke to Zarco about the odds of switching to V.

With Mir and Rins homeless, bargaining power was probably not at its best. Now that we almost know where everyone is going or staying, remains the second fiddles.

even though the Yamaha is an inline engine, it's a "big bang" engine with a crank like a V8 rather than an inline 4.  The V4 engines have manufacturers' unique cranks and firing intervals.   Rossi did the original testing of the M1 and was given several combinations of screamer and big bang engines.  Now all the bikes run some type of odd firing big bang engine.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LowRyter said:

even though the Yamaha is an inline engine, it's a "big bang" engine with a crank like a V8 rather than an inline 4.  The V4 engines have manufacturers' unique cranks and firing intervals.   Rossi did the original testing of the M1 and was given several combinations of screamer and big bang engines.  Now all the bikes run some type of odd firing big bang engine.

True, however I was stating that the engine's architecture had a big role in chassis construction. This very issue contributed to the demise of Zarco jumping from the M1 onto the KTM. Suddenly, he could not pilot the way he always had.

Ducati was also plagued by its inability to corner, except in the hands of Casey Stoner. Ducati came a long way to get its chassis to what it is now. 

Even if Fabio Quartararo seems to be coming from the same vein as the previous super champions, I am certain he considered the possibility to struggle on a V.

Even Marquez made no secret that the current Honda package did not suit him completely. Independently of his actual physical condition.

3 hours ago, LowRyter said:

. . .  Now all the bikes run some type of odd firing big bang engine.

.  .  .  V11 Moto Guzzi content? :sun::mg:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
54 minutes ago, p6x said:

True, however I was stating that the engine's architecture had a big role in chassis construction. This very issue contributed to the demise of Zarco jumping from the M1 onto the KTM. Suddenly, he could not pilot the way he always had.

Ducati was also plagued by its inability to corner, except in the hands of Casey Stoner. Ducati came a long way to get its chassis to what it is now. 

Even if Fabio Quartararo seems to be coming from the same vein as the previous super champions, I am certain he considered the possibility to struggle on a V.

Even Marquez made no secret that the current Honda package did not suit him completely. Independently of his actual physical condition.

Many more variables than the engine config, since the issues are volatile even within the same manufacturer from update to update.  Just the risks of keeping a technical edge to up the competition.  

26 minutes ago, docc said:

There's more truth than humor, since the 90 V twin seems to be the starting point for many of these.  And just look at most of the new parallel twins that are mimicking it.  Of course Ducati has gotten more notice for the last 30+ years compared to Guzzi.

• Like 1

So, on Friday in FP2 in Spain the two Aprilias are fastest, Aleix on top with Maverick behind him, about three tenths back I believe. It is looking good for Aprilia. Could this be the weekend MV finally justifies being on the factory Aprilia? Or is this classic MV and he will fall back?

• Like 1
On 6/2/2022 at 9:18 PM, docc said:

But..... we are in a MotoGP topic? I would love to see a Guzzi here!

• Haha 1
On 6/2/2022 at 9:43 PM, LowRyter said:

Many more variables than the engine config, since the issues are volatile even within the same manufacturer from update to update.  Just the risks of keeping a technical edge to up the competition.  

I was simply quoting him. He mentioned that to turn the bike, he had to change the way he was riding, and he was not prepared to do that.

He seems to be ok...ish on today's Ducati though. But he does not seem to ever get back to how he was riding that Yamaha M1.

On 6/3/2022 at 9:40 AM, GuzziMoto said:

So, on Friday in FP2 in Spain the two Aprilias are fastest, Aleix on top with Maverick behind him, about three tenths back I believe. It is looking good for Aprilia. Could this be the weekend MV finally justifies being on the factory Aprilia? Or is this classic MV and he will fall back?

I am watching a replay of FP3 before I do the Qualifications without spoiling anything.

MV is top notch as far as riding is concerned. His only issue, which is a major one, is psychological. As far as I know, he is the only MotoGP pilot who attempted to break his engine by revving it; at least he did that after the session.

The only other rider I remember doing this was in an endurance race, either the Bol D'or or the 24 hours moto at LeMans. One pilot voluntarily broke the engine to stop his race.