San Diego Motorcycle rental - recommendation?

PJPR01

For those who live nearby, any recommendations on a particular shop for a moto rental in the San Diego area?  Does anyone rent Guzzis?

Will be out there for work next week, and would like to take a spin on Saturday and Sunday before flying back home.

Thanks!

Paul

I'm local and have no experience with a local rental service. But I have used Riders-Share and had a good experience when renting other people's bikes. Now I prefer it over a dedicated rental shop. I also rent my Yamaha TW200 on Riders-Share. Not too many bookings yet, but at least it gets ridden while my daughters are away at college.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/24/2022 at 6:42 PM, bbolesaz said:

I rented from Cycle Visions Rental once.  Limited selection of bikes and no Guzzi.  But good customer service and the bikes were in great shape.  I would go back again.

Thanks BB for the recommendation, I have secured a 2019 Triumph T-100 Bonneville for Saturday March 6th from Cycle Visions.  I've never ridden one before, so it should be interesting to try out for a nice all day loop around the area.  

Scud...will shoot you a text the day before to check if you are still free to join depending on plans, I've sketched out a route from the shop up thru UCSD, up to Rancho Bernardo, Rincon, Julian and back wandering around, down to La Jolla or Solana Beach for a late afternoon lunch before returning the moto back.  But I'm open to any other fun routes you could recommend!

I have no idea how the Bonneville rides in the twisties, so will need to get used to it a bit before leaning it over 60 degrees  (Just kidding!).

Cheers and thanks to all.

• Like 1

Most excellent!! Thanks for the additional suggestions, very Nice Video…lots of decent twisties there!  Are any of those wineries along the road worth stopping at? 

@Scud

Nice! I appreciated that you had not installed your camera on your helmet but on the bike.

I can tell your know that road quite well. I did spot a cyclist coming the other way, in a climb. When I road the Twisted Sisters, very early in the morning, dawn, I came upon a group who were in a steep climb, spread enough so I had to use the opposite lane as a runaway escape. I was within the posted speed limit, but these guys were going so slow, and invisible until they were no longer.

I have a plan to do a video cast of the sisters, but I am now going to be extremely careful. Even at 15 mph, finding a cyclist in the wrong spot is dangerous.

I like there aren't any guard rails for the most part of the road you rode on.

• Like 1

There are quite a few small, independent wineries in the area that are worth a visit. It's not Napa Valley quality... but it's also not crowded and overpriced. I like the little family run ones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scud said:

Here's a little preview of one of my favorite roads... I sent you a message with exactly what road this is. 

This video makes me thrilled to have my feed through a good sound system. That V11 sounds awesome, @Scud!

I feel a little badness enjoying that ride right in front of parked Sport. Kinda like making your dog sit by while you cook and eat a steak. Without so much as tossing him a scrap . . . :mellow:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

It was a cold Saturday in San Diego last week, but nonetheless a welcome reward after a week of work conference.  Although no Guzzis were available, a nice Triumph Bonneville was at Cycle Visions, and provided a decent set of wheels on a rather cool day around the area.  A few pics...sadly, had to leave for home the day after and the weather had improved dramatically.  I wanted to make it all the way to Julian and Lake Henshaw, but "wintry conditions" and freezing temps prevented me from getting all the way there...still plenty of other twisties to play on around Ramona (found the old Julian Highway and Highland road and rode past several of the wineries along the way...thanks for the tips earlier!)

A few stops along the way from San Diego, thru Poway, Ramona, Solana Beach (always have to go by the Belly Up), Del Mar, La Jolla and a favorite stop at my old alma mater UCSD where I spent countless hours studying many years ago.

Hopefully posting Triumph pics on a Guzzi forum will not be considered terribly against the rules!  

C2DCFF96-E039-426B-9400-AF37B50D9103.jpe

3660AD61-2210-414F-8B0F-80F68EBD771E.jpe

DED01B35-1992-48E5-A6F0-C5224A94026F.jpe

79A37670-030F-476E-952F-10EF25993998.jpe

7EBEEB80-A5E7-40F7-8C9D-DB47D03C682B.jpe

F9E4D73D-487A-4E17-A161-8781E4BC9868.jpe

B6BB234A-36A5-4756-BB5C-AF61326CAE7D.jpe

165271A6-7D71-4A8F-9F11-6B263FF361DD.jpe

5A85EA19-8CE4-4FEA-A89B-0AA5ED02BC9F.jpe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2