Origins of V11 colloquial nomenclature

docc

Rereading the MGNOC post of Dave Richardson about the early introduction of the V11 Sport (re-posted by @ScuRoo), I see what is, perhaps, the earliest attribution to calling the tail cowl storage the "Monkey Paw Trap" :thumbsup:   . . .

" . . . each U.S. bike has its tool kit stuffed into a cloth compartment under the seat hump,

referred to by my parts man, Aaron,

as a monkey paw trap,

because it's only wide enough for an open hand.

Grab something in the pouch and you can't get your hand back out!"

The V11 has some other unique colloquialism references. Care to contribute? 

PORK CHOP MAN!

ME TALKIN' TO YOU!

STEP OUT OF THE SHADOWS!

IMG_5230.jpg

• Like 1

"exploding flywheel" - credit probably due to some poor soul owner of a Scura

"bubbling engine paint" - any owner of a 2002 model.

"spine frame" - I wonder who was first to use that? Or was it an official Moto Guzzi term?

Lucky Phil Shift Extender

Unbreakable shift spring

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It gets complicated, I know . . .

LuckyPhil designed/ Chuck-made Shift Extender  :luigi:

Chuck-engineered/Scud-provided Super-Shift-Spring  (that is "S" to the fourth power!)  :sun:

• Like 1

Let's face it, we are a tight and dedicated community. We have our own vernacular. Some of it may not be "web-searchable."  (I am often stymied that I search for V11 answers and find = V11LeMans.com !)

"colloquial?"  I reckon so. :mg:

There are the traditional V-twin frame monikers (Loop, Tonti, Spine) that have, now, gone by the wayside. Yet, who first coined "Spine Frame?" :huh2:

Not sure that is what Tony Foale called the original?

tonyfoale_guzzi.jpg

• Like 2

I bag everything (Ha!) before I stuff it into the monkey paw trap. Waterproof and it all comes out together: SPF ball cap, registration, spare earplugs and.....ummm.....no - that's it.

5 hours ago, docc said:

It gets complicated, I know . . .

LuckyPhil designed/ Chuck-made Shift Extender  :luigi:

Chuck-engineered/Scud-provided Super-Shift-Spring  (that is "S" to the fourth power!)  :sun:

I like acronyms docc so the LPSE, the CSSSS and my bike the GSB. 

Ciao

ac·ro·nym ˈakrəˌnim | noun | an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g. ASCII, NASA, LASER, FUBAR, SNAFU, ANZAC).

in·i·tial·ism iˈniSHəˌlizəm | noun an abbreviation consisting of initial letters pronounced separately (e.g., CPU, FBI, CIA, VIP, DIY, VB).

GSB . . . "Green Super Beast"?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Furthering our noble efforts to clarify the V11 nomenclature (we are the world's foremost experts on the Moto Guzzi V11) :nerd:

@FreyZI's current thread "Sign-up list for new carbon fiber seat cowls" has had some fun with "what-to-call-what" . . . :sun::grin:

I'm to the point of saying that your LeMans >might< have "PorkChops", but mySport : nope

IMG_2934.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

• 1 month later...

Aermacchi-CRTT-Frame-Render.jpg

On 3/1/2022 at 10:16 PM, docc said:

Let's face it, we are a tight and dedicated community. We have our own vernacular. Some of it may not be "web-searchable."  (I am often stymied that I search for V11 answers and find = V11LeMans.com !)

"colloquial?"  I reckon so. :mg:

There are the traditional V-twin frame monikers (Loop, Tonti, Spine) that have, now, gone by the wayside. Yet, who first coined "Spine Frame?" :huh2:

Not sure that is what Tony Foale called the original?

tonyfoale_guzzi.jpg

Tony Foale was (is) a mad scientist racing Aermacchi, which all had from '61 until '73 a single-tube frame which looks and mounts *very* much like the MG 'spine' frame. Lightweight and apparently sufficiently rigid torsionally- but it's plain if you've watched the '95 BEARS Raceco bike weaving and wobbling everywhere staying in front of the Brittens that the limits were found. The term 'frame backbone' goes back farther than I can remember.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pressureangle said:

Aermacchi-CRTT-Frame-Render.jpg

Tony Foale was (is) a mad scientist racing Aermacchi, which all had from '61 until '73 a single-tube frame which looks and mounts *very* much like the MG 'spine' frame. Lightweight and apparently sufficiently rigid torsionally- but it's plain if you've watched the '95 BEARS Raceco bike weaving and wobbling everywhere staying in front of the Brittens that the limits were found. The term 'frame backbone' goes back farther than I can remember.

Oh, yes! Tony Foale is very likely the original designer of what became the "Spine Frame."

While Foale may have called the main frame member the "backbone", I wonder what he might have called those "rear frame side plates" that mount the swingarm . . .

tfframe.jpg

tonyfoale_guzzi.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, docc said:

Oh, yes! Tony Foale is very likely the original designer of what became the "Spine Frame."

While Foale may have called the main frame member the "backbone", I wonder what he might have called those "rear frame side plates" that mount the swingarm . . .

Well, being Aussie/English he'd call them 'Lambchops', of course.

23 hours ago, docc said:

tfframe.jpg

tonyfoale_guzzi.jpg

But did Tony Foale get his backbone frame inspiration from Fritz Egli ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guzzimax said:

But did Tony Foale get his backbone frame inspiration from Fritz Egli ?

The backbone, perhaps, but not the frame side plates/ swingarm pivots/ gearbox supports . . .

Egli-frame.jpg&f=1&nofb=1