Two different swingarm pivots reported?

Lucky Phil

20 hours ago, FreyZI said:

Wrapped up a work marathon early this afternoon and treated myself to an evening with Bubbles.  What did I do to my v11 today?  Started putting the back end back together.  I picked up this slovenly V11LM earlier this year and have started cleaning, checking, and (the reason for taking the back end apart) replacing the very badly peeling pork chops with a pair of silver chops PO threw in.  So, I'm putting the swing arm back on and I'm having the damnedest (sp.?) time getting the swingarm pivots to seat in the swingarm bearings.  Got the flashligh, lined up the holes, tried again and again, switched sides, flashlight line-up, tried and tried again.  Now, I read a post recently (sorry, I can't attribute this at the moment); poster said grind a little bevel around the edge of the pin so it goes into the bearing easier.  Well that sounds like a pain in the arse.  Anyway, long story short, I'm thinking -- it can't be this hard.  Well, you've heard the expression you can't put a square peg in a round hole.  Also, you can't put a round peg in a round hole when the peg is of a significantly larger diameter than the hole.  Even a hammer would not have helped.

20220302_193206.jpg

Who would have guessed that the spare pork chops take a different diameter pivot? :homer:

The other project for the day was painting the final drive case.  I had some advice (thanks, folks), which I ignored, and went with the crinkle paint.  I did buy a rattle can of a semi-gloss, too, and shot a test piece of both.  Crinkle was a good match to original, so I went with that, knowing: 1) it doesn't look as good as smooth, 2) it's a PITA to clean.  What can I say? :huh2:

Turned out pretty well.  Far from perfect, but perfect on this hard-used bike would be like lipstick on a pig.

20220302_200127.jpg

Anyway, a couple of questions (apparently I don't know how to search on this forum, because I can only get zero results of 4,000 results):

1) Torque on swingarm pivot caps?

2) How much play is acceptable in the eye of the shock mount at the swingarm?

:bier:

Cheers,

Frey

20220302_193206.jpg

Ok I didn't know that. Whats the actual difference in the threaded section OD? Can you measure it accurately for us.

Ciao

The only thing I have found at this point is Part #37547005  pin 19mm thd. Prior to 2001,  Part#1547060 pin 22mm thd, after 2001 thru 2004. Have not found any dimensional data except what we already know, Thanks Kindoy.

Paul B:bier:

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the information on thread sizes. I can only imagine the dia was increased to make the pin easier to thread into the pork chop. I can't see any other reason for it, certainly no additional strength is require but the 19mm ones at least  can be fiddly to fit and cross threading is always on my mind when I install them. I think the larger dia thread might mitigate this to some extent.

Ciao

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

Ok thanks for the information on thread sizes. I can only imagine the dia was increased to make the pin easier to thread into the pork chop. I can't see any other reason for it, certainly no additional strength is require but the 19mm ones at least  can be fiddly to fit and cross threading is always on my mind when I install them. I think the larger dia thread might mitigate this to some extent.

Ciao

A production assembly expedient?

(FWIW, my March 2000 built Sport has the 22mm with chromed lock nut.)

39 minutes ago, docc said:

A production assembly expedient?

(FWIW, my March 2000 built Sport has the 22mm with chromed lock nut.)

My bike is early 2000 as well docc and I just assumed it would be 19mm but looks like 22mm as well. It must just be the very early ones are 19mm?

Ciao

22 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

My bike is early 2000 as well docc and I just assumed it would be 19mm but looks like 22mm as well. It must just be the very early ones are 19mm?

Ciao

Sheesh, who knows? None of us have ever discussed this before.  KINDOY2 is reporting one of each on two different 2002 Scura?  More Mandello Mystery . . . :mg:  :whistle:  :drink:

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, docc said:

Sheesh, who knows? None of us have ever discussed this before.  KINDOY2 is reporting one of each on two different 2002 Scura?  More Mandello Mystery . . . :mg:  :whistle:  :drink:

Interestingly the 19mm ones are used on the Sport 1100IE as well. Same p/n.

Ciao

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Interestingly the 19mm ones are used on the Sport 1100IE as well. Same p/n.

Ciao

I wondered if @FreyZI's spare (19mm) Frame Side Plates might be from an 1100 Sport-i .

18 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Whats the actual difference in the threaded section OD? Can you measure it accurately for us.

Y'all are saying 19mm and 22mm.  My caliper says 19.9 mm and 21.8 mm.  I would call the smaller one a nominal 20 mm.  Confirm that the locking nut is chromed on the smaller and stainless on the larger.

10 hours ago, Scud said:

You should probably remove the crinkle paint where the oil drain plug washer seats. It looks like you only protected the threads with a spare bolt. Did the paint require curing in the oven to get the correct texture?

Not to worry, @Scud, I just hadn't taken the tape off that drain plug washer seat.  The paint (VHT Wrinkle Plus) does not need to be baked: take your pick, let dry or cure.  Instructions say that baking may make the crinckles smaller.  200F for an hour.  I baked.  :rasta:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, docc said:

wondered if @FreyZI's spare (19mm) Frame Side Plates might be from an 1100 Sport-i .

Unfortunately, I have no idea what they might have come off of.  I have been calling them silver, but they aren't really. More of a gun metal color, but not so dark.

20220204_224052.jpg

@FreyZI posted this image of swingarm pivots form a 2002 LeMans, and a spare set of Frame Side Plates.

20220302_193206.jpg

This  discussion arose in the non-specific, non-technical thread "What did you do to your V11 today?", but is reposted here for proper sussing out. AFAIK, this observation has not come up before.

Pertinent posts have been split to this dedicated thread . . .

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, FreyZI said:

Y'all are saying 19mm and 22mm.  My caliper says 19.9 mm and 21.8 mm.

Is this a matter of some of us are measuring the inside of the lock nut and other measuring the outside of the threaded insert?

Thanks for the "thanks", @FreyZI, but more >thanks< back-at-ya for posting that poignant image of those two swingarm pivots, juxtaposed. This is not just a difference in measurement method. There is a serious difference in dimensions here for both the pivots and the Frame Side Plates, themselves..

We VeeEleveners do love a puzzle, if not an outright conundrum! :luigi:  :nerd:  :drink:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, docc said:

Is this a matter of some of us are measuring the inside of the lock nut and other measuring the outside of the threaded insert?

20220303_210138.jpg