Two different swingarm pivots reported?

Lucky Phil

Since "most" of our V11 (51%?) are assembled, could we settle on measuring the inside of the lock nut?

[edit: my chrome nut, 2000 Sport is ~20.3mm inside the lock nut.]

1 hour ago, FreyZI said:

Y'all are saying 19mm and 22mm.  My caliper says 19.9 mm and 21.8 mm.  I would call the smaller one a nominal 20 mm.  Confirm that the locking nut is chromed on the smaller and stainless on the larger.

Not to worry, @Scud, I just hadn't taken the tape off that drain plug washer seat.  The paint (VHT Wrinkle Plus) does not need to be baked: take your pick, let dry or cure.  Instructions say that baking may make the crinckles smaller.  200F for an hour.  I baked.  :rasta:

You know that makes more sense and better aligns with my measurement which was done on the nut threads with the nut still fitted. I'd correct mine to 20mm then which aligns with the parts manual. Docc, you care to re measure yours. Remember the end of the chrome nut is a larger ID than the threaded section.

Ciao

• Like 1

10 hours ago, docc said:

Since "most" of our V11 (51%?) are assembled, could we settle on measuring the inside of the lock nut?

[edit: my chrome nut, 2000 Sport is ~20.3mm inside the lock nut.]

So does mine docc but that the outboard end of the nut which is actually machined to what is almost certainly the OD of the pin threads. I was earlier trying to measure the ID of the threaded end of the nut and add the pitch depth x 2 which is a bit of a guestimation way of doing things. Now I know the pin threads are a nominal 20mm then my measurements make more sense. 20mm pin on my bike no doubt. In 22 years this has never come up, amazing. Still things to learn. Probably find out that half the frames are made of Cr-Mo and half from cast iron next.

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...

An old thread, but it caught my interest as I ran into this in the early 2000s soon after buying the 2002, when I bought a set of used porkchops, had them powder-coated candy red, then took them back home only to face this same issue where the pins were too large.  I ended up having the porkchops reamed and tapped to the correct size since they were already coated.

I don't recall if I even knew at the time what make and model MG the used porkchops came from, because like all of you I assumed they were all the same.  Nope :o

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gstallons said:

Nope. I do know the pivot bolts/studs can be two different sizes. I found this out the hard way ! 

Do you recall the thread size/pitch ?

I'm sorry, but that was back in 2003-4 I believe, so I just don't remember. (Wow is that really 20 years ago?!)   :o

As an aside, I guess my 2002 will officially be a "classic" in four years?  ;)   ...or is 20 years enough?

I brought the original porkchop to the machinist to determine the right size back then, so I'm not certain I ever knew the correct size.

I did a eBay purchase on a package of bolts from a V11 teardown . Needed a swingarm pivot bolt because I crossthreaded the original . The "new" ones wouldn't work. Removed the pork chop, screwed the bolt in from the inside out and "fixed" it.