The fuel pump is singing...

Bjor

The fuel pump of my 2007 Cali Vintage has started to sing a bit too loud. So far it's working as it should, but I am worried that this is a warning signal that it will soon call it a day...

Does anyone have any experience on this?

I had an intermittent fuel problem recently, always beginning with the fuel pump being 'noisy' or 'buzzy'. The short story is, I had a high resistance connection somewhere that caused the fuel pump relay to drop out when everything got warm- then as soon as it dropped the pump load, the voltage went back up and reconnected the relay. Rinse and repeat, at high frequency. A simple but thorough cleaning and maintenance of all the relays and connections ended it. The pump went silent again.

• Like 1

If it's not an electrical issue mentioned by Pressureangle, you could try adding two stroke oil to the fuel. If the pump changes tone with lubrication, maybe it's time to get a new one.

I wonder what a partly blocked fuel filter would do to pump noise.

15 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

If it was an external pump, I'd spend the $75 and change it out with the filter.  I don't know how much the internal ones cost.  

Even less. I just bought a new one for $45au with a new concertina hose and wiring plug.

Ciao

2 hours ago, Bjor said:

The fuel pump of my 2007 Cali Vintage has started to sing a bit too loud. So far it's working as it should, but I am worried that this is a warning signal that it will soon call it a day...

Does anyone have any experience on this?

First thing I'd be doing is checking the pump inlet filter.

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks for good advise everyone! B)

I'll start with a good clean up of the electrics mentioned, and change the filter.

I  know I have a repair set for the pump somewhere. I'll check what it repairs, and find out if that could make the pump last longer.

If the loud buzz is not gone after this, I'll get a new pump.

I will also check if the filter could be put somewhere outside the tank, anyone tried that?

9 minutes ago, MartyNZ said:

I suppose that you don't have a V11 because @Tomchri owns most of the V11s in Norway.  :D

Well, I have Le Mans Rosso Corsa, my son has a Scura, and I've sold a Rosso Mandello to a guy up North. So there are at least three that he does not own... ^_^

Low.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Pump and filter inside the tank is a tidy installation, better to keep it that way in my opinion.

Also look for split or leaking hoses inside the tank. Immersed fuel hoses are made of different material than normal fuel hoses, which will degrade inside a tank. This is something to look for if a previous owner changed things.

1 hour ago, MartyNZ said:

Immersed fuel hoses are made of different material than normal fuel hoses, which will degrade inside a tank. This is something to look for if a previous owner changed things.

Yes of course, ordinairy hoses are only petrol proof on the inside... Thanks for reminding me ^_^.

2 hours ago, Bjor said:

Thanks for good advise everyone! B)

I'll start with a good clean up of the electrics mentioned, and change the filter.

I  know I have a repair set for the pump somewhere. I'll check what it repairs, and find out if that could make the pump last longer.

If the loud buzz is not gone after this, I'll get a new pump.

I will also check if the filter could be put somewhere outside the tank, anyone tried that?

Crazy talk.

Ciao

• 1 month later...