Moto GP Austin - COTA

Allons-y!!  Hoping for a good outcome as well on the election.  I'll have to tell you a funny story about Maradona one day, reminds me of an interview I saw about him while on vacation in Punta del Este, Uruguay when we were living in Argentina between 1999-2002.

In a sympathy Porsche message, I am also having to drop some $$'s into the 911, the left rear upper shock mount has apparently broken and was the source of an annoying squeak I was trying to find for the last few months, so after 13 years of ownership since new, both left and right rear strut mounts will need to be done and then an alignment, along with some preventative maintenance, including spark plugs (have to remove the exhaust system to get access to the plugs, quite labor intensive).  The reward is in the drive after all, one has to pay to play!  At least I can do oil changes, filter changes both oil and air on it, all else is just not doable given how tight the engine is packed in there, but honestly, this car has been error free since I bought it, so I don't mind it needing some maintenance on a rare occasion.  On my side of town, I use Euro Auto Techniks (Michael Crawley), who ironically many years ago worked with Mike Haven of MPH!  Quite a small world in fact.

Is the leak affecting the clutch (slipping at all?)...

Now...about that brisket in Lockhart...hhmm, something to look forward to on race weekend!

Date Race Network Time (ET)
Sun., March 6 Grand Prix of Qatar CNBC 1:30 p.m.
Sun., March 20 Grand Prix of Indonesia CNBC 3 p.m.
Sun., April 3 Argentinian Grand Prix CNBC 6 p.m.
Sun., April 10 Grand Prix of the Americas NBC 1:30 p.m.
Sun., April 24 Portuguese Grand Prix CNBC 5 p.m.
Sun., May 1 Spanish Grand Prix CNBC 6 p.m.
Sun., May 15 French Grand Prix CNBC 4 p.m.
Sun., May 29 Italian Grand Prix CNBC 5 p.m.
Sun., June 5 Grand Prix of Catalunya CNBC 4 p.m.
Sun., June 19 German Motorcycle Grand Prix CNBC 1:30 p.m.
Sun., June 26 Dutch TT Assen CNBC 2:30 p.m.
Sun., July 10 Grand Prix of Finland NBC 1 p.m.
Sun., August 7 British Grand Prix CNBC 1:30 p.m.
Sun., August 21 Austrian Motorcycle Grand Prix CNBC 5 p.m.
Sun., September 4 San Marino Grand Prix NBC 1:30 p.m.
Sun., September 18 Aragon Grand Prix CNBC 1:30 p.m.
Sun., September 25 Grand Prix of Japan CNBC 2 p.m.
Sun., October 2 Thailand Grand Prix CNBC 1:30 p.m.
Sun., October 16 Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix NBC 12:30 p.m.
Sun., October 23 Malaysia Motorcycle Grand Prix CNBC 1:30 p.m.
Sun., November 6 Grand Prix of Valencia NBC 12 p.m.

–NBC SPORTS–

On 4/6/2022 at 2:48 PM, PJPR01 said:

Allons-y!!  Hoping for a good outcome as well on the election.  I'll have to tell you a funny story about Maradona one day, reminds me of an interview I saw about him while on vacation in Punta del Este, Uruguay when we were living in Argentina between 1999-2002.

In a sympathy Porsche message, I am also having to drop some $$'s into the 911, the left rear upper shock mount has apparently broken and was the source of an annoying squeak I was trying to find for the last few months, so after 13 years of ownership since new, both left and right rear strut mounts will need to be done and then an alignment, along with some preventative maintenance, including spark plugs (have to remove the exhaust system to get access to the plugs, quite labor intensive).  The reward is in the drive after all, one has to pay to play!  At least I can do oil changes, filter changes both oil and air on it, all else is just not doable given how tight the engine is packed in there, but honestly, this car has been error free since I bought it, so I don't mind it needing some maintenance on a rare occasion.  On my side of town, I use Euro Auto Techniks (Michael Crawley), who ironically many years ago worked with Mike Haven of MPH!  Quite a small world in fact.

Is the leak affecting the clutch (slipping at all?)...

Now...about that brisket in Lockhart...hhmm, something to look forward to on race weekend!

It seems we have plenty to talk about!

I am familiar with Punta del Este, since many Argentinians spend their vacation there. I like Uruguay, but I always preferred Carilo to spend time on the sand.

I have lived in Argentina since 2003. I have an apartment in Belgrano. I was initially thinking to purchase at Puerto Madero, but I decided that only foreigners lived there, and I favored a place less "touristy". 

Argentina is a place I would really enjoy touring on my Guzzi; unfortunately, it is no longer as pleasant as it used to be.

As for the 911, it is a costly hobby, and I am glad that I found a justification to part from it. As it is at Einer's, using the space for the Le Mans is so much more convenient. I can even make use of the central stand without any difficulty. It was that, or purchasing a house with a larger garage...

Mike Haven said he does not work on Porsche. His atelier is full of BMW and Mercedes Benz, no Porsche.

• Actually, the leak is more like an "anal" reaction. I wish I was different, but even a few drops of oil ruin my life. I like perfection. Of course Einer found many other things wrong with the car. I am replacing the four shocks too, thus wheel alignment, since they are dropping the power train, it is a good opportunity to do some preventive maintenance. The quotation says that I am going to lay away twice the purchase price of the Guzzi.... :(

Don't know Lockhart, but I have had it with those BBQ pits who have lines that form from 8:00 on week-ends. I think the Texas Monthly should make a list of the "unknown" Texas style barbecues.

On a very sad note, I have been unable to find any Bluebonnets this year.... do you have a tip? I went to Brenham, Chapel Hill, looked at the usual places... nada!

Bluebonnets of TexasAngels in the BlueRed in Blue

• Like 2
1 hour ago, p6x said:

Mike Haven said he does not work on Porsche. His atelier is full of BMW and Mercedes Benz, no Porsche.

• Actually, the leak is more like an "anal" reaction. I wish I was different, but even a few drops of oil ruin my life. I like perfection. Of course Einer found many other things wrong with the car. I am replacing the four shocks too, thus wheel alignment, since they are dropping the power train, it is a good opportunity to do some preventive maintenance. The quotation says that I am going to lay away twice the purchase price of the Guzzi.... :(

I understand this is packed with fortified vitamins and  “helps build strong bodies 12 ways”

61PuFhYXSnL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I'm not suggesting you drink it.  

• Haha 1
    2 hours ago, p6x said:

I am familiar with Punta del Este, since many Argentinians spend their vacation there. I like Uruguay, but I always preferred Carilo to spend time on the sand.

I have lived in Argentina since 2003. I have an apartment in Belgrano. I was initially thinking to purchase at Puerto Madero, but I decided that only foreigners lived there, and I favored a place less "touristy". 

Argentina is a place I would really enjoy touring on my Guzzi; unfortunately, it is no longer as pleasant as it used to be.

As for the 911, it is a costly hobby, and I am glad that I found a justification to part from it. As it is at Einer's, using the space for the Le Mans is so much more convenient. I can even make use of the central stand without any difficulty. It was that, or purchasing a house with a larger garage...

Don't know Lockhart, but I have had it with those BBQ pits who have lines that form from 8:00 on week-ends. I think the Texas Monthly should make a list of the "unknown" Texas style barbecues.

On a very sad note, I have been unable to find any Bluebonnets this year.... do you have a tip? I went to Brenham, Chapel Hill, looked at the usual places... nada!

Wow...Indeed...Carilo was one of my favorite spots to visit, play golf and enjoy the seaside, we spent a lot of time there and in Pinamar on many occasions for ocean side visits.  It's a very special place.  I still have a favorite golf wind breaker from there that I use till today!  A lot has changed since the early 2000's for sure...so many stories to tell of that time.  Time for a factura and a lagrima one day to reminisce!  I left in October 2002, so just missed an overlap there.  We had offices in Vicente Lopez, then San Isidro and then Belgrano.  We lived in Alto Palermo at the time (Juncal y Salgueiro)...

Now...Lockhart (affectionately known as the Capital of BBQ in Texas), not more than a 5-10 minute wait at Blacks, no need to queue up like in Franklin or other places that you have to get up at the crack of dawn to have a chance at getting some BBQ.   Well worth the visit, since LowRyter has declined to show up for BBQ after the race, I'll transfer the invitation over to you - my treat!  Of course, if both show up, will be entertaining!

Bluebonnets - it's a bit of a stretch, but I did see a lot on the way up and back from Dallas last weekend...another good place to look is between Fayetteville and Hwy 71 on the way to La Grange...that road typically has Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrush in abundance.    A nice stop at Orsak's in Fayetteville makes a good coffee/pie break along the way.  

TGIF!  

Carilo%20golf.jpeg

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    3 hours ago, LowRyter said:
    •  

I understand this is packed with fortified vitamins and  “helps build strong bodies 12 ways”

61PuFhYXSnL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I'm not suggesting you drink it.  

When you own a 911, and you have some kind of sputter coming from within the inside of the bell housing, you would not immediately think about using devilish additives.... 

There is a failure prone (so everyone says) bearing on the 996; I would rather not verify how good, or how bad this #1 fixer is...

Back to COTA...

Marc Marquez is here for the win. During FP1 he was not showing all his cards. Did not try the time attack, and still managed 5th at 0.4 from the top!!!

Aprilia are still there, this time with Maverick.

It looks like we are going to have a real race on Sunday, not a Marquez solo, or so I think.

• Like 1

A couple other Guzzi friends will be there all weekend, I'll be riding up with another friend early Sunday morning...planning to arrive around 10 am.

Got Tickets in section T1-2 of Turn 1, Section 2, Row 15...

Have enjoyed Turns 15/16 the last couple of years, but back to turn 1 this year...King of the Hill!

2 hours ago, p6x said:

When you own a 911, and you have some kind of sputter coming from within the inside of the bell housing, you would not immediately think about using devilish additives.... 

There is a failure prone (so everyone says) bearing on the 996; I would rather not verify how good, or how bad this #1 fixer is...

yeah, that doohickey.  I don't know why so many german cars have issues with timing chain adjusters.   I think that's something an owner should get fixed before it fails. There is an after market fix/replacement for the intermediate shaft (or whatever it's called) but the owner can't wait for failure.

1 hour ago, PJPR01 said:

A couple other Guzzi friends will be there all weekend, I'll be riding up with another friend early Sunday morning...planning to arrive around 10 am.

Got Tickets in section T1-2 of Turn 1, Section 2, Row 15...

Have enjoyed Turns 15/16 the last couple of years, but back to turn 1 this year...King of the Hill!

I prefer T1, great view and for the start of the race.

3 hours ago, LowRyter said:

yeah, that doohickey.  I don't know why so many german cars have issues with timing chain adjusters.   I think that's something an owner should get fixed before it fails. There is an after market fix/replacement for the intermediate shaft (or whatever it's called) but the owner can't wait for failure.

It is hard to believe that German engineers could let this one slip through the cracks. I still have a hard time believe that it was unintended. They must have known this bearing was not lubricated, and would become a failure prone part with time.

One of the early sign your IMS bearing could be failing is a subdued oil leak from the back... now you understand why I wanted to get my 911 to the shop.