Sign-up list for new carbon fiber seat cowls

FreyZI

10 minutes ago, docc said:

IIRC, there are different grades of cf? Some kind of "K" scale?

There are definitely different qualities of carbon fiber, as well as different styles. Way back when our raceteam actually had an offshoot that made carbon fiber parts, mainly for Ducati's. It was interesting, but I was never a huge fan of it. I get light weight is good,  but I am more interested in other light weight options like titanium or magnesium. Clearly, that isn't really an option for bodywork. But I just never got that excited about carbon fiber. So while I would buy a seat cowl out of carbon fiber, that is mainly because it is hard to find a seat cowl of any sort made out of anything, and I could use one.

• Like 1

BTW, read a review of the Triumph Thruxton 1200 R on Motorcycle News today.  In the shootout with the BMW R nine T, the author said, "BMW’s 110bhp flat twin-cylinder R nineT ... Sport version costs £1090 more than the base model and comes with heated grips, a seat hump, a brushed ali tank and high-rise Akrapovic exhaust."  Thus, apparently "hump" is a term of art (also) in the motorcycle community.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

There are definitely different qualities of carbon fiber, as well as different styles. Way back when our raceteam actually had an offshoot that made carbon fiber parts, mainly for Ducati's. It was interesting, but I was never a huge fan of it. I get light weight is good,  but I am more interested in other light weight options like titanium or magnesium. Clearly, that isn't really an option for bodywork. But I just never got that excited about carbon fiber. So while I would buy a seat cowl out of carbon fiber, that is mainly because it is hard to find a seat cowl of any sort made out of anything, and I could use one.

I've been around CF professionally and hobby wise for more than 40 years. I had factory Ducati carbon fairings and fuel tank on my 888 Corse race bike and they were the real deal compared to most aftermarket stuff. The fairing panels had honeycomb strengthening panels in the areas where needed to prevent oil canning and provide stiffness and it was all pr preg and hence autoclaved. At work we had big autoclave ovens to cure repairs to aircraft parts and rolls of pre preg in freezers plus all the vacuum gear to use. Interesting process and results. CF doesn't like lightning strikes I can say that. It can also take a major hit and seem undamaged until you look at the back side of the panel and find the displaced carbon filaments. Important things to be aware of on the fin of a commercial jet that's made entirely of CF.

Ciao  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I've been around CF professionally and hobby wise for more than 40 years. I had factory Ducati carbon fairings and fuel tank on my 888 Corse race bike and they were the real deal compared to most aftermarket stuff. The fairing panels had honeycomb strengthening panels in the areas where needed to prevent oil canning and provide stiffness and it was all pr preg and hence autoclaved. At work we had big autoclave ovens to cure repairs to aircraft parts and rolls of pre preg in freezers plus all the vacuum gear to use. Interesting process and results. CF doesn't like lightning strikes I can say that. It can also take a major hit and seem undamaged until you look at the back side of the panel and find the displaced carbon filaments. Important things to be aware of on the fin of a commercial jet that's made entirely of CF.

Ciao  

One of my client's used to build cars for his Indy racing series. Those panels are incredibly strong and light.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, footgoose said:

One of my client's used to build cars for his Indy racing series. Those panels are incredibly strong and light.

Yes it's like picking up a large Titanium nut or bolt your brain has a hard time computing the size to the weigh after years of handling other materials. My friend surmises this is what makes these sort of things so tactile and almost impossible to not pick up and just hold and play with.

Ciao

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Joe said:

I reached out to Ghezzi-Brian about a carbon belly pan, they wanted 310 euro shipped. Currently the exchange rate is 1 euro to 1.10 dollar, so $300 dollars is probably the correct price.

Hi Joe, thank you for your e-mail

The carbon bellypan is available at euro 310,00 shipping cost to US included

Delivery time: 3 days from order

Payment: by PayPal

For further info pls feel free to contact me

Kind regards

Bruno”Brian”Saturno

2014-11-24-16.03.49-350x350.jpg

Does this price include the mounting brackets and hardware?

Ciao

On 3/22/2022 at 8:40 AM, Joe said:

Currently the exchange rate is 1 euro to 1.10 dollar, so $300 dollars is probably the correct price.

Incidentally, given that exchange rate, the price of a belly pan at 310 Euros would be ~$341, in case $41 changes anybody's mind.

Just spoke to a guy in Gettysburg who's been doing fiber and carbon manufacturing for decades (mostly dragster bodies).  It happens that his shop is directly on a reasonable route for my upcoming trip, so I'll take an OEM hump, a matte carbon bit off the Tenni, and my current damaged carbon hump.  I'll let you know what he quotes and then get a sense of what yinz all would want for options (weave, gloss/matte).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, FreyZI said:

Just spoke to a guy in Gettysburg who's been doing fiber and carbon manufacturing for decades (mostly dragster bodies).  It happens that his shop is directly on a reasonable route for my upcoming, so I'll take an OEM hump, a matte carbon bit off the Tenni, and my current damaged carbon hump.  I'll let you know what he quotes and then get a sense of what yinz all would want for options (weave, gloss/matte).

The primary initial cost is in making the mould. Like bespoke shoes, the cost of the last needs to be spread across the number of units produces.

Ciao  

To answer Lucky Phil, includes connections, or hardware for $310 Euro. B)

http://www.ghezzi-brian.com/en/tuning-moto/tuning-moto-guzzi/v11-1100-sport-daytona-centauro/belly-pan/

BELLY PAN

It gives the bike a more sporty and slim design.
Available in carbon fiber or fiberglass to paint; complete with connections.

BELLY PAN

BELLY PAN

Available in carbon fiber or fiberglass to paint; complete with connections

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joe said:

To answer Lucky Phil, includes connections, or hardware for $310 Euro. B)

http://www.ghezzi-brian.com/en/tuning-moto/tuning-moto-guzzi/v11-1100-sport-daytona-centauro/belly-pan/

BELLY PAN

BELLY PAN

BELLY PAN

Available in carbon fiber or fiberglass to paint; complete with connections

I've got a colour matched one on my bike. Not a terrible deal for a carbon one with the mounts.

Ciao

• Like 1

Incidentally, I asked Bruno "Brian" Saturno at G-B if he had any interest in making up the humps, too.  He responded that he was happy to continue producing the Trofeo kits and creating a new "evolution" of the Sport Monza kit.  He noted that the carbon belly pans, rear fenders, and wave discs are "always available".

Cheers,

Frey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Dropped some parts off at Riggeals this weekend.  I took him my matte side panel (to match), my gloss hump, and an OEM hump.  

Here's the quote:

C/F seat hump:

Prototyping and mold = $550; each hump = $130.  If 6 of us want humps, we're at ~220.  If we can get a few more folks involved, we can get the price under $200 per item.

Just in case anyone is interested, C/F side covers:

Prototyping and mold $710; each unit $110.  I didn't ask, so I don't know if the mold for the other side could be easily (cheaply) fabricated (assuming L and R are symmetrical).

Possible we could get a discount if there are other parts Guzzisti on the motha of all V11 forums want made in batches (tank chin pad, fenders, etc.)

We're looking at 3 months for wait and manufacture.  We'd own the molds.

I'm in on a seat hump if at least 5 others are on board.  If we get that far, I'd need to know weave and finish choices.  Likewise, @docc, may be worth putting out an APB calling all C/F parts wanters.

Cheers,

Frey

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2