Sign-up list for new carbon fiber seat cowls

FreyZI

Update:

By my count, if I include @Lucky Philand @stewgnu (gonna do everything possible to share with brethren on the islands), we're up to 9 takers.  Excellent!  Way to open your wallets for purely aesthetic purposes!  :bier:

Given that number (and I'm counting on at least one more to chime in), there are enough on board to offset the cost of creation of the mold and prototyping and to get to a (subjectively) reasonable price per unit.

I've gone ahead and told Greg to go ahead with the mold and prototyping.  I haven't spoken with Greg about when payment is expected.  I'll float the $550 mold and prototyping.  I'll make up that investment with each member's contribution as the humps become available.  Recall that we're looking at ~3 months before we have our parts.  I'll plan to deal with logistics of distributing the humps, as safely and cost effectively as possible.  Some (MD and VA) may be able to take delivery in person if desiring a reason for a ride to a convenient meeting point.

As it will be some time before the mold and prototyping are done, I don't need your specific requests right now, but I'll be in touch with you all to confirm specifications.  As the "not-gloss" finish will be at the end of production, its not critical to nail this down any time soon.  Gloss is pretty obvious, but "not gloss" has some not-well-defined gradations between satin and matte.  What I have been calling "matte" may be more like "satin".  I'll get some pics posted of the "not-gloss" side panel I took to Greg for matching.  Meanwhile, it seems that several of yinz want that "not-gloss" to match your Mistral C/F cans (which I presume are similar to mine).

Again, not time sensitive:  For those wanting the usual C/F/ look (whatever the sheen), 2X2 carbon twill weave (kinda standard).  At the moment, I have +1 on red kevlar weave -- that is going to be sweet @p6x(BTW, HBD!).

Thanks to all for your interest! :mg:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Sounds like a plan.

Good on you for taking the lead with this and putting your own money on the line. Not everyone would do that. Thanks.

• Like 3

@Lucky Phil tells me he is in. I'll let him speak for himself on concerns about the weave and finish. Not sure about @stewgnu . . . .

While this initial run is in progress, I am going to pin this thread (so it stays in the upper register of this subforum and doesn't get "buried".)

I have also pinned a locked (no reply) thread in "Classifieds" to direct inquiry here while this effort is in process.

Thanks, again, @FreyZI! Welldone, Sir!

• Thanks 1

• docc pinned this topic

I'm in for a red one, if you please.

In the meantime, I can start looking for a headlight brow and curbfinders.....B)

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, docc said:

@Lucky Phil tells me he is in. I'll let him speak for himself on concerns about the weave and finish. Not sure about @stewgnu . . . .

While this initial run is in progress, I am going to pin this thread (so it stays in the upper register of this subforum and doesn't get "buried".)

I have also pinned a locked (no reply) thread in "Classifieds" to direct inquiry here while this effort is in process.

Thanks, again, @FreyZI! Welldone, Sir!

I think it's the common std 1x1 weave. I'll let you know in a few days time.

Ciao

• Like 1

I'm in for one. Will give it a spot on the Scura along with all the other CF goodies. I'm kind of hoping it's the fine weave, like you get from Ghezzi Brian. The original CF bits on the Scura have a larger pattern. 

And totally appreciate you doing this. I've done it with Springs (which I still have a load of) and a short run of 12mm fuel lines (which I will not be doing again, because they are easy to make and I posted a how-to). 

As for cash - I'd gladly pay in advance if that is helpful.

• Like 3

I got to thinking that once the prototype comes out of the mold, there will be room for others to sign up for the production run. I had also lost track of the current pledges. A scroll back through the thread shows:

@FreyZI, @docc, @Lucky Phil, @Joe, @GuzziMoto, @deadpen69, @Tom in Virginia, @Scud = 8 black, and @p6x and @leroysch for 2 in red = 10 in all.

(I'm not sure the shipping to the UK for @stewgnu, but my Joe Caruso timing gears are arriving in the US from the heart of England tomorrow and the shipping was painless, taking only a week.)

• Like 5

just throwing this out there. what color Red is the Red? If I wanted red I'd want it to match the Guzzi Red, and there are a few of those. If there is an upcharge for red it should match, otherwise paint it yourself.

1 minute ago, footgoose said:

just throwing this out there. what color Red is the Red? If I wanted red I'd want it to match the Guzzi Red, and there are a few of those. If there is an upcharge for red it should match, otherwise paint it yourself.

Thanks, all. @footgoose, check this thread back a page or two; I inserted a pic of the red from the fabricator's web page.  There's also an orange if anyone wants to try to match orange cylinder head covers. Fabricator's website is riggeals.com. I believe they have pics of the swatches under the "custom" link.

Greg was planning to get back to me Monday about the satin finish. If that doesn't turn out to be possible to our satisfaction, I'll think about red for the Tenni, too. We're still operating on estimates. Final pricing TBA. However, estimate for color Kevlar weave +$65.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FreyZI said:

Thanks, all. @footgoose, check this thread back a page or two; I inserted a pic of the red from the fabricator's web page.  There's also an orange if anyone wants to try to match orange cylinder head covers. Fabricator's website is riggeals.com. I believe they have pics of the swatches under the "custom" link.

Greg was planning to get back to me Monday about the satin finish. If that doesn't turn out to be possible to our satisfaction, I'll think about red for the Tenni, too. We're still operating on estimates. Final pricing TBA. However, estimate for color Kevlar weave +$65.

ok. missed that. So it still appears as a cf weave under clear, but red weave instead of black. I didn't know that was a thing. can't wait to see it.

• Like 1

Went to his site. The red will likely match the RC type red body paint easily. The "orange" looks a great match for the RC/NC/RM valve covers as well as the RM body paint. What he's calling yellow (far left) looks really close to Guzzi's zinc chromate, but it's not listed as available at the moment.

http://www.riggeals.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Color-Carbon-Samples2.jpg

oops, will not paste

• Like 2

On 4/3/2022 at 9:09 PM, footgoose said:

I had the same concern, having poor luck with red farkles on the Ducati. With respect to the base C/F, my mind's eye didn't see it integrating well with the balance of my bike's black butt...so it was going to be a different "look"...but meh. I decided that if it wasn't going to integrate well...it really needed to stand out on its own..a trade-off I decided to go for even if the color match wasn't perfect. (Disclaimer:   The wife played no role in this aesthetic evaluation and shall not be held liable for any of my poor decisions.)

@FreyZI would you care to make a list of the takers using google sheet on google drive? share it, so we can follow-up easily, and other interested party can also put their names in the list directly.

All you have to do is to take a screen shot of the list and post it as an image here, so we know where we stand?

I think you have one more taker for the red, yes?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, p6x said:

@FreyZI would you care to make a list of the takers using google sheet on google drive? share it, so we can follow-up easily, and other interested party can also put their names in the list directly.

Good idea, @p6x.  Here's a link to a Google Sheet:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRxzY1vqEMO45avvdnr-WqJcQYiXi14UHwDzr2MFGGgFc7XFzgc8oiuVYhcOXydhyPUZxUBOxQMTQbi/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

And here's a screenshot of what that sheet looks like as I have populated it:

image.png

• Thanks 3