Sign-up list for new carbon fiber seat cowls

FreyZI

I’m still in. 
I’ve still got an outstanding open question on what weave/finish will match the factory CF bodywork on the   Cafè Sport though. I’d hope to get that answered before I had to make a decision.

thanks so much for keeping it going! 

• Like 2

I ran across this image of my early Sport Moto Guzzi accessory (Mistral?) round, carbon fiber "For Off Road Use Only" exhaust canister weave (viewed though one of my SpeedHut instrument lenses). 

"2 x 2" ? Matte? Gloss?

IMG_2160.jpg

I'm baaaack.

Sorry for the long, long delay and being incommunicado.  Summer seemed to have other plans for me.  I did manage to get down to Gettysburg and talk to the CF guy.  He's made a couple prototypes for me and I'll share some pics of what I've got in a follow up post shortly (it's really hard to get a decent photograph of carbon fiber parts).

When I first went down there some months ago, I left with Greg three pieces: 1) a OEM plastic seat cowl to model, 2) my aftermarket (presumably) non-vacuum mold seat cowl for comparison to 3) my OEM vacuum-molded CF side panel.

To clarify, as I understand it, there are a couple different CF processes, including: 1) where a vacuum is created that sucks quite a bit of the resin through and off the carbon fiber, leaving a thinner, lighter, less glossy finished product; and 2) a standard process whereby much of the resin remains on the finished surface, rendering a somewhat glossier finish and more robust piece.

My Tenni, between the seat cowl, side panels, front fender, hugger, gauges thingy, and starter cover, has at least three different finishes.  My initial hope was to match the seat cowl (tail hump -- what are we calling this thing now) to all of the other CF pieces (excepting the hugger).  Unfortunately, that is not possible with the manufacturer.  Frankly, it may not be desirable for the tail hump anyway, from a durability standpoint.

Anyway, although I had only taken the side panel so Greg could see the finish I had originally hoped for, a little (potentially fortuitous) miscommunication resulted in him making a prototype of the side panel, too.

I like the prototypes well enough to commission a better mold and a batch of tail humps. I'm not opposed to doing the same for the side panels.  Cost is not going to be prohibitive, but it may change a bit with inflation, so I'm not going to quote any prices.  I'm pretty sure I can make my initial outlay.  Since I hadn't spoken to any of y'all about the desirability of side covers, I told Greg to go ahead with the seat cowl and that I'd get back to him on the side panels.  So, let me know if you are gung ho on the side panels and I'll have those reusable molds made up, too, if there's enough interest.

As for the options, I got a sample of the red and the blue kevlar weaves.  I like them both.  They are very understated and would only really pop in bright sunlight.  Kevlar weaves will be about 50% more $$$ than standard 2x2 carbon weave.

Photos coming shortly.  Thanks for your patience and understanding that both the manufacturer and I have other things to do as well.  For his part, Greg recently had a joint replacement and is still getting around a bit slowly.  He and his family business have more than enough dragster bodies work and he only took this on because he thought it was a cool project.  We are at least several months away from having finished products.  He and his daughter are very nice folks and I know they will do their best to get us high quality stuff.

Cheers,

Frey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Note that these pieces are prototypes, not final product.  There are a few rough edges, holes are not yet holes, and I presume the CF was laid a bit quickly.  Even with the final product, you will know that this is hand-laid fiber.  To me, that's a plus -- and similar to the rest of the CF bits on my bike.  If you're not okay with that, walk away.

First up, a pic of the humps: Prototype at north.  Note that this was an attempt to replicate the more satin finish of the vacuum-method pieces.  I am not a fan. 

20220810_123959.jpg

Next up, the side cover.  Original on right.  If people want these, we should figure out what to do about the depression for the gummy stickers (wanted or not).

20220810_123852.jpg

Next, a close up of the samples of the Kevlar weaves. They are leaning against the prototype side panel with regular 2x2 CF weave.

20220810_124422.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2022 at 12:24 AM, Stumble_t said:

I’ve still got an outstanding open question on what weave/finish will match the factory CF bodywork on the   Cafè Sport though. I’d hope to get that answered before I had to make a decision.

Just realized looking at pics online that Tenni doesn't appear to have any CF from factory.  I bought my Tenni with all the CF bits.  Side cover I believe to be an MG product, judging from sticker.

20220810_134620.jpg

It appears to be 1x1 weave.

20220810_134608.jpg

But, my Mistral mufflers are very clearly -- like Docc's -- 2x2 weave.

• Like 2

BTW, every other CF part on my Tenni is also 1x1 weave except for the hugger.  1x1 looks like a checker board.  2x2 looks like diagonal blocky lines.  1x1 is also called plain weave, and 2x2 is sometimes called twill weave.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2022 at 2:18 PM, FreyZI said:

BTW, every other CF part on my Tenni is also 1x1 weave except for the hugger.  1x1 looks like a checker board.  2x2 looks like diagonal blocky lines.  1x1 is also called plain weave, and 2x2 is sometimes called twill weave.

Looks good enough to me.

As I said, I would paint it, so I am not very concerned with the finish, as long as the shape is accurate.

On 8/10/2022 at 10:36 AM, FreyZI said:

Note that these pieces are prototypes, not final product.  There are a few rough edges, holes are not yet holes, and I presume the CF was laid a bit quickly.  Even with the final product, you will know that this is hand-laid fiber.  To me, that's a plus -- and similar to the rest of the CF bits on my bike.  If you're not okay with that, walk away.

First up, a pic of the humps: Prototype at north.  Note that this was an attempt to replicate the more satin finish of the vacuum-method pieces.  I am not a fan. 

20220810_123959.jpg

Next up, the side cover.  Original on right.  If people want these, we should figure out what to do about the depression for the gummy stickers (wanted or not).

20220810_123852.jpg

Next, a close up of the samples of the Kevlar weaves. They are leaning against the prototype side panel with regular 2x2 CF weave.

20220810_124422.jpg

The seat cowlings look good. I'll take em.. 😃👍

• Like 1

I see there is some consideration of using Kevlar. My recommendation would be not to, based on some experience about 25 years ago when i worked as a design engineer for an airline, and we had new Airbus A320 aircraft that had Kevlar in many of the the belly panel. The environment in this location subjects them to hydraulic oil and Skydrol from leaks as well as a lot of water and humidity. The panels absorbed oils into the the panel from the edges where they were trimmed during production, using the Kevlar to wick into the panel saturating the core material and turning the ridged panels to mush. Airbus ended up having to replace all the belly panels with Kevlar with new Carbon fiber or fiberglass panels on the early serial number planes that had them. Cost a fortune. The original design goal of the Kevlar was for durability.

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2022 at 10:54 AM, FreyZI said:

Just realized looking at pics online that Tenni doesn't appear to have any CF from factory.  I bought my Tenni with all the CF bits.  Side cover I believe to be an MG product, judging from sticker.

It appears to be 1x1 weave.

But, my Mistral mufflers are very clearly -- like Docc's -- 2x2 weave.

My Mistral Carbon cans are for sure a larger weave than the bodywork on the Café Sport as well. Sounds like the 1x1 is the way to go. 

Thanks for the research FreyZI! 

6 hours ago, Stumble_t said:

My Mistral Carbon cans are for sure a larger weave than the bodywork on the Café Sport as well. Sounds like the 1x1 is the way to go. 

Thanks for the research FreyZI! 

One valuable time consuming lesson I've learned.. : Never try matching up carbon weave. You'll pull your hair out (if you still have any). My Scura carbon barely matched from the factory.. 🤣 Now I have Stucchi, M4, and some other stuff. It's all different.. Still looks good but you know it ain't factory. Guzzi had to of used 100s of different carbon weaves through the years. 

• Like 1