Throttle Cable Issues From MPH Riser Kit

Joe

Rode about an over to Kale's garage today to install a riser kit from MPH. This is my second MPH kit I have bought, the first one, which is on Kale's silver V11 Sport (a bike I had bought new in 2002) was installed by the late Mike Wells, a highly regarded mechanic in Lexington KY. Mike died riding his Honda 305 Super hawk in an AHRMA race at Mid-Ohio a few years ago. Anyways, I remember walking into the Lexington Motorsports shop 20 yrs ago and listening to Mike cuss fitting the kit to my bike. Today I had the luxury of realizing what Mike meant all those years ago. The clutch hydraulic line was wire tired about 9 times down the spine frame. We started to cross thread the transmission solenoid side before we dropped the pipes and removed it. All that said, with the risers installed the throttle cable is now too short too reach without being routed overtop the triple tree. 

Did the long frame bikes have a different length or longer throttle cable? If so I will wait to get another cable before putting it all back together.

IMG_4182.jpg

669509516.jpg

The long frame V11 does have a different cable. I bought one by mistake and it would not work on my  ShortFrame Sport.  The part number was on the system wrong (not sure if that ever got corrected).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right, so, the later cable (GU01117590) has a steel tube in the cable housing on the throttle control end that is bent nearly 90º, while the ShortFrame cable inserts directly with no bend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a nice looking pricey piece of kit, but with shipping and my low Canadian dollar, I was a little disappointed in a couple of things for the high price I paid.

The 90 degree clutch/brake line fittings are replaced with straight line connectors. They are such a tight fit, you can't easily change the angle and position of the risers/bars without cable interference.

What should be very adjustable, for the sake of a couple of bucks in cheaper fittings,isn't.,

Iirc the instructions talked about rerouting the throttle cable; and also pulling slack out of the wiring harness.with a little slack the wiring routed easily to the front and back through the front of the forks under the triple clamp.

For my throttle cable, I've got it similar to what you've got, but it tucks in tight underneath a plastic shroud plate mounted on the front of the spine frame. The cable ends up with a couple of bends back and forth, nothing overly sharp but definitely not as smooth and flowing as I would like.

fwiw

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I recall reading some mph users have been successful with re-routing stock lines. "Success" is subjective I think.  Doing risers on other bikes I have had success sometimes, sometimes not. I would always go into it with the expectation of buying longer lines to complete the job. I sure wouldn't want to compromise flex on a control line/cable. Fortunately for me the LM/Sport stock setup is satisfying.

• Like 3

MG Cycle- Part #: 02117500. This is the throttle cable for a V10 Centauro. It's 5 inches longer otherwise identical. I also bought a couple 1" hydraulic extensions (SKU:27819) from Helibars.com to help reduce strain on my brake and clutch lines.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thank you deadpen69!

THROTTLE CABLE V10 CENTAURO GU02117500

PART NUMBER: 02117500

In stock
    IN STOCK

$26.72

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

Updated pics Rosso with the MPH riser kit using V10 Centauro throttle cable. All the credit goes to Kale on this install, he also cleaned on the bike quite a bit while waiting for me to source parts. The goal now is to ride these bikes to the Spine Raid Rally in Tellico Plains this summer.

670096055.jpg

IMG_4455.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Updated pics Rosso with the MPH riser kit using V10 Centauro throttle cable. All the credit goes to Kale on this install, he also cleaned on the bike quite a bit while waiting for me to source parts. The goal now is to ride these bikes to the Spine Raid Rally in Tellico Plains this summer.

Success! I love this goal!! :mg:  :race:  :drink: