I searched 'Tires' in thread titles only, and was surprised to find nothing newer than 2017 so I figured it's time for an update.

I have the front end off the Sport, and the front wheel is absolutely shameful. I'm having it refinished, and I'll get to the rear when the front's back on. 

Let's have opinions on whether to keep the wheels battleship gray, or have them made black; the bike is yellow.

So to the tires, I had Bridgestone T30s (?) a couple years ago. Solid tires, 7500 miles and wore them near bare front and rear without ever slipping.
However the front never had good feedback, and tight hard corners were acts of faith. To be fair, in 80mph+ sweepers they were rock-steady. 
The rear was just invisible and excellent, with a large circumference for the size. 
I swapped on a set of Pirelli Angel GTII for the SoCal twisties- the front had great feedback, razor sharp handling in the tight stuff, but just a bit nervous on the highway and fast sweepers. The rear, though the same numeric size, was of significantly smaller circumference- enough to leave me 6 miles short of the fuel exit in New Mexico. Now, these Pirellis will be 4 years old at the 2022 spine raid, the rear has squared off in the center, and I'm having the wheels off anyway; so it doesn't make much sense to put them back on. 
Looking around at the choices, I discovered that Avon is owned by Cooper, which is American (though the tires are made in the UK) and their 3D SuperSport tires have good wet-road reports, as well as overall happy sounding owners. Mileage isn't really a consideration anymore as I'm 12 hours from any roads with curves so I don't ride much at home. 

Thoughts, opinions, or experiences?

Tire threads can be like oil threads.. Beware...🤣

But in my experience 2 great tires for these bikes are Dunlop Roadsmart 2s and 3s and Michelin Pilot Road 4s. I have Roadsmart 2s on my LeMans and Pirelli Angel 2s on my Scura. I'll never buy another Pirelli sport touring tire after those. The Dunlops are bounds better. Michelins Pilot Roads are just all around good. 

If it were my money Dunlops. Can't beat them for the quality to money ratio. My Dunlops are 5 years old and are still good though should and will be changed. My Pirellis gave me far too many close calls on the Scura. Especially with the snatchy clutch. Broken grip a lot. A LOT..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rox Lemans said:

Tire threads can be like oil threads.. Beware...🤣

But in my experience 2 great tires for these bikes are Dunlop Roadsmart 2s and 3s and Michelin Pilot Road 4s. I have Roadsmart 2s on my LeMans and Pirelli Angel 2s on my Scura. I'll never buy another Pirelli sport touring tire after those. The Dunlops are bounds better. Michelins Pilot Roads are just all around good. 

If it were my money Dunlops. Can't beat them for the quality to money ratio. My Dunlops are 5 years old and are still good though should and will be changed. My Pirellis gave me far too many close calls on the Scura. Especially with the snatchy clutch. Broken grip a lot. A LOT..

After my Sport ate up Pilot Roads after 4k miles, I've been a Dunlop guy ever since.  I even have Roadsmarts on my Ducati.

• Like 2

The Pilot 3s on my '04 do not seem to be a perfect match for the geometry of the bike. As mentioned elsewhere, I live in the wet, but avoid riding in it. However, have had very good luck on another bike with Avons. I figure they know their rain.

Now, if grip is lost on an oily patch, we can always argue whether synthetic or mineral oil patches are slipperier.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Had a set of Avon 3D Ultra sport on my Rosso Corsa. Great feeling all speeds, mileage so so. But when theire gone, they are leaf thin, you be suprised how thin. Now soon to change out the Pirelli Angel GT's.   It will be Dunlop Sport Smart MK3. Have those on 2 other bikes, gives big confidence.         ( They have a version called TT to, 2000 fun miles )

My experience and opinion only.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, po18guy said:

The Pilot 3s on my '04 do not seem to be a perfect match for the geometry of the bike. As mentioned elsewhere, I live in the wet, but avoid riding in it. However, have had very good luck on another bike with Avons. I figure they know their rain.

Now, if grip is lost on an oily patch, we can always argue whether synthetic or mineral oil patches are slipperier.

I've found the Pilots take some time to warm up before they grip.  Almost like a sports tire, not sure why.  When the rear Pilot burned up on my Greenie at 4k miles, I was done with them.  Not only do the Dunlops last longer and cost less, they need little warm up time.  The Dunlop grip on my Ducati is nearly as good as the Rosso 3 and half the price and double the mileage.  

These might be hasty conclusions, since I only stick with what works.  I dropped Dunlop previously many years ago due to a bad rear, they did give me credit on a replacement.  I later bit the bullet and bought Michelins for a few sets but didn't see an improvement other than status of spending more money.   After getting burned on the Sport, I'd had enough and went back to Dunlops after 5 years.  I had one set of Bridgestones that wore out after about 5k on my new Bandit, so I've never purchased the brand again.   I've only used Metzler 880 bias on my EV, 70k miles, they handle and grip well and wear like iron.

• Like 2

I've found that Dunlop has the only U.S. motorcycle tire manufacturing facility, if owned by Sumitomo. So given the state of affairs in the world and my choice between sending cash to Cooper stockholders or Dunlop employees, I'll eat my words and support the workers in Tonawanda.
Not, of course, that I'm making any sacrifice with regards to the tires. Except my 30-year-old promise never to own Dunlops. I suppose the people responsible for that promise are long since retired or otherwise uninvolved. I'll chalk this up to growth, and to having read 20 reviews over time and distance and finding zero negative feedback. 

So, Black and Dunlop it is. 

Gee this was a short thread, should I go back and add oil to the title?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

I searched 'Tires' in thread titles only, and was surprised to find nothing newer than 2017 so I figured it's time for an update.

I have the front end off the Sport, and the front wheel is absolutely shameful. I'm having it refinished, and I'll get to the rear when the front's back on. 

Let's have opinions on whether to keep the wheels battleship gray, or have them made black; the bike is yellow.

So to the tires, I had Bridgestone T30s (?) a couple years ago. Solid tires, 7500 miles and wore them near bare front and rear without ever slipping.
However the front never had good feedback, and tight hard corners were acts of faith. To be fair, in 80mph+ sweepers they were rock-steady. 
The rear was just invisible and excellent, with a large circumference for the size. 
I swapped on a set of Pirelli Angel GTII for the SoCal twisties- the front had great feedback, razor sharp handling in the tight stuff, but just a bit nervous on the highway and fast sweepers. The rear, though the same numeric size, was of significantly smaller circumference- enough to leave me 6 miles short of the fuel exit in New Mexico. Now, these Pirellis will be 4 years old at the 2022 spine raid, the rear has squared off in the center, and I'm having the wheels off anyway; so it doesn't make much sense to put them back on. 
Looking around at the choices, I discovered that Avon is owned by Cooper, which is American (though the tires are made in the UK) and their 3D SuperSport tires have good wet-road reports, as well as overall happy sounding owners. Mileage isn't really a consideration anymore as I'm 12 hours from any roads with curves so I don't ride much at home. 

Thoughts, opinions, or experiences?

That's a new one for the "book of excuses" for running out of fuel which I've done twice. "It's not my fault it's the circumference of my tyre" I like it:lol:

To the question of wheel colour for your yellow bike I would personally go for a "bright silver" or maybe a bronze gold. Black rims are so "yesterdays colour". The correct type of Gold looks good on any bike in my experience. 

Ciao

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, footgoose said:

https://motoridersuniverse.com/uploads/bikes/c7/a1/720/1255845d0066de4c7a1.jpg

The black is just not hitting me in the picture like it did in my mind. Nice, but now I'm thinking about back to gray, but shiny instead of dull. Meh

3 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

The black is just not hitting me in the picture like it did in my mind. Nice, but now I'm thinking about back to gray, but shiny instead of dull. Meh

In that photo, I get it. I don't care for the belly pan, it's too much and kinda squared. I don't care for the black v covers or yellow guards either. As for the black wheels.... the Sport's tail/seat body section can be a bit too LargE at some angles and the black wheels bring it all closer together for me. "condense" maybe a better word. IDK guess I should get a yellow one for myself eh?:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

I think that 5.5"/180 may be a little too much tire for an ancient frame and geometry, but I'll know after the next set. In thinking about it, what Aprilia did with the V11 amounts to a "restomod."