15 hours ago, po18guy said:

I think that 5.5"/180 may be a little too much tire for an ancient frame and geometry, but I'll know after the next set. In thinking about it, what Aprilia did with the V11 amounts to a "restomod."

I think the Sport's rear rim is a little narrower than a V11's? I have 160 on the rear, not much room on the driveshaft side and no indication I've ever put the last 3/4" of rubber to the tarmac, so a larger tire is not considered.

34 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

I think the Sport's rear rim is a little narrower than a V11's? I have 160 on the rear, not much room on the driveshaft side and no indication I've ever put the last 3/4" of rubber to the tarmac, so a larger tire is not considered.

The SPOrT 1100 and your 1100 Sport-i have the same 4.5” rear  as the early V11 Sport (1999-2001) and 2001 Rosso Mandello. These were delivered with 170 tires, yet many of us prefer a 160.

Later V11 “LongFrames”, 2002-2005, came with 5.5” and a 180. Similarly, many find a 170 better suited.

All V11 run 17” front and rear. I seem to recall the earlier (pre-V11) 1100 Sports differ front to rear?

And my early 99 hot rod has a 6.5inch rear with 180 Pirelly Rosso c.
Cheers Tom. 5fd57cd150fa28dd54e5850d889ccd23.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A525F via Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, docc said:

The SPOrT 1100 and your 1100 Sport-i have the same 4.5” rear  as the early V11 Sport (1999-2001) and 2001 Rosso Mandello. These were delivered with 170 tires, yet many of us prefer a 160.

Later V11 “LongFrames”, 2002-2005, came with 5.5” and a 180. Similarly, many find a 170 better suited.

All V11 run 17” front and rear. I seem to recall the earlier (pre-V11) 1100 Sports differ front to rear?

17" on both ends, on mine. 

Got the forks back today, got the bearings adjusted and the top clamp all set. 

Now all I gotta do is take the top clamp back off and put the handlebars on. :doh:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pressureangle said:

17" on both ends, on mine. 

Got the forks back today, got the bearings adjusted and the top clamp all set. 

Now all I gotta do is take the top clamp back off and put the handlebars on. :doh:

Ah, okay, it is the earliest SPOrT 1100 (carburetted), 1994-mid1996, that had the 18" rear:

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/moto guzzi/moto_guzzi_1100_sport_94.html

• Like 1

M9RR’s absolute best tyres I’ve ever experienced on the ScuraR.

Pirelli Angel GT’s initially feel great - light & quick on the front - but that at first impressive feeling certainly wears off before long. Couple of thousand kilometres & front just feels average - can’t abide the rear squaring off so rapidly the fall over the squared lip cornering is meh unenjoyable. Never again.

016B2B15-672B-4589-BF04-778247B7CE35.jpeg

On the other hand these M9RR’s lean angle confidence is awesome - they allow my mind total focus modulating in through exiting the corner - without worrying “will my tyres still stick” & that to me is No.1 priceless!

The rear shows no sign of squaring off - great even graduated wear.

Curiosity is the only reason why I would try some other tyre - but if someone offered me one choice of tyre for free tyres for life - I’d choose & be happy to stick with the M9RR!

Final oily comment - I’ve swapped between 180 & 170 sizes - as far as I’m concerned it’s mostly bull - 170 has less to do with it than the actual profile.

The rear M9RR @180 feels just as or even more responsive turning than the AngelGT @170.

A 5 millimetres difference each side imo is borderline bolderdash - in comparison to the influence of the actual manufactured tyre’s profile.

YMMV but in fact checking the 170 assertion  - obviously I’m too insensitive to feel 5ml of chicken strip edge difference - but I sure can feel & appreciate a tyres profile off dead centre straight away!

+1 on long term…

https://bikereview.com.au/tyre-test-metzeler-sportec-m9-rr-long-term-road-track/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was going to go with M9RR last time on the V11 but couldn’t find the right size and went with Road 5. They are pretty good! I’ll see how long they last. I need a new rear on my Hypermotard as the Pilot Power rear has gone square and worn after about 5k miles. I may replace both front and rear on that bike with a set of M9RR’s to check them out. For Michelin’s, I think I am happier with the Road 5 on the V11 than the Pilot Power on the Duc. The 5’s feel very solid and confident in all riding conditions on the V11.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, docc said:

Ah, okay, it is the earliest SPOrT 1100 (carburetted), 1994-mid1996, that had the 18" rear:

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/moto guzzi/moto_guzzi_1100_sport_94.html

And my Daytona has a 17" front and 18" rear wheel. That configuration was fairly common back in the late 80's and early 90's. Yamaha used it on a number of models ranging from the FZR400 to the FZR1000.

• Like 2