Triumph Speed RR versus Ducati Panigale V2?

I went to Iron Supply Houston today, to have a look at the Speed RR; 22k dollars new. They had both the white and a red on display.

For 17k, you can get a Panigale V2.

If I sell my car, I would have the cash. I am not completely convinced I need anything else than a V11, but it does not cost much to dream. I am naturally drawn to the Ducati, even if I like the Triumph's triple engine.

What is the consensus among V11 owners on either Triumph RR or Ducat P V2? can you get the same service as with the V11?

45 minutes ago, p6x said:

I went to Iron Supply Houston today, to have a look at the Speed RR; 22k dollars new. They had both the white and a red on display.

If I sell my car, I would have the cash. I am not completely convinced I need anything else than a V11, but it does not cost much to dream. I am naturally drawn to the Ducati, even if I like the Triumph's triple engine.

What is the consensus among V11 owners on either Triumph RR or Ducat P V2? can you get the same service as with the V11?

My previous experience owning 3 Triumphs and multiple Ducati's 2 of which I still own the Ducati's are much better quality. I was so appalled at Triumph quality and engineering I vowed to never buy another one.

Ciao

• Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, p6x said:

I've owned both of the bikes you mention..I put tons of accessories on the Triumph..It was't bad looking and fun for a minute...but at the end of the day..It still felt  cheaply made and a little boring...Resale sucks.  

If I had to choose ?  I'll take any of the Major brand Italian bikes over any of the Major bikes made elsewhere..and I have pretty much had them all.

Ducati V2 Panigale. It’s like 150hp and lots of torque in 400lbs, in the same ballpark as the Triumph, and it’s a v-twin, and it’s Italian and a sexy beast. There’s a V2 Street Fighter coming out. If a triple is of interest, why not one of the MV 800s? I would really love to have a Super Veloce or a Tourismo Veloce. Yeah, I know that the guy who runs it is a rich young Russian. Too bad for him.

• Like 1

If one of your options is the V2 Panagale, the Triumph comparable model should be the Daytona Moto2 765.

I like the middleweight triples, the 765's, more than I like the big triples. But I would consider a Tuono V4 over either of those two.

• Like 1

both bikes have Superbike ergo's -quite a bit more extreme riding position vs the V11 series.  The Triumph has a a retro look, lifted right from our V11 LeMans series.   Both bikes have brutal power, the V2 being more track focused like the 675.  IMO the Speed Triple RR sorta missed the mark, as it seems to combine the worst features of retro and sportbike.   

I suppose if I wanted a Sportbike, I'd go the GSXR route, they say the 750 was the perfect blend of performance and balance.  I recently rode with a fellow that had one and I was on my Ducati 939 Supersport.  The relaxed ergos gave be an advantage on the twistie roads but he was going faster than I wanted to go on the fast sweepers.  I don't think he was going faster than my bike could've gone but faster than I wanted to go (I'll just admit that my vision/depth perception just isn't that great when going 130 and braking to 70 for a corner, I'm more a rhythm rider) (OTOH I did have to wait on him after a few miles on 40-80mph twisties).  

I don't know if you couldn't go wrong with any of the sport bikes listed above as technology has produced better and more advanced motorcycles. I had a chance to sit on a Triumph Speed Triple 1200RR during Vintage Days at Barber this past fall, it felt amazing, light and drop dead gorgeous. That's beyond the fact that its a screaming triple. :bike:

IMG_2852.jpg

IMG_2851.jpg

• Like 2
On 3/23/2022 at 10:05 PM, Lucky Phil said:

My previous experience owning 3 Triumphs and multiple Ducati's 2 of which I still own the Ducati's are much better quality. I was so appalled at Triumph quality and engineering I vowed to never buy another one.

Ciao

The RR uses a cable actuated clutch. I thought it to be incongruous on this price point. Besides, the force required to actuate the clutch is greater than on my V11.

I have a permanent tendinitis in my left hand, because I drove too many hard clutches bikes in the city when I started riding motorbikes. This was also one of the main reason I never got a Ducati before with those extremely hard to manipulate dry clutches.

On 3/23/2022 at 10:15 PM, KINDOY2 said:

I've owned both of the bikes you mention..I put tons of accessories on the Triumph..It was't bad looking and fun for a minute...but at the end of the day..It still felt  cheaply made and a little boring...Resale sucks.  

If I had to choose ?  I'll take any of the Major brand Italian bikes over any of the Major bikes made elsewhere..and I have pretty much had them all.

Indeed, the Triumphs sold in the USA are made in Thailand. Those made in UK are never sold in the USA. I presume it is because of the exchange rate between the GBP and the USD?

I've been around Triumph since the 1990's because my father was best friends with the Central KY RAT leader. Although the quality has never been comparable to most Ducati's, they have improved over the years. I also thought that all new models are made in UK for a term before they transition to Thailand to control the quality, but maybe that was for the Bonnie, not 100% positive about the newest models. I had a 07 Triumph Tiger 1050 w 36k miles that ran perfect before I traded it, chain drive, cable actuated clutch and all. :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, p6x said:

The RR uses a cable actuated clutch. I thought it to be incongruous on this price point. Besides, the force required to actuate the clutch is greater than on my V11.

I have a permanent tendinitis in my left hand, because I drove too many hard clutches bikes in the city when I started riding motorbikes. This was also one of the main reason I never got a Ducati before with those extremely hard to manipulate dry clutches.

I don't have a particular issue with my left wrist but when I started to do track days years ago after maybe 4 20min sessions my left wrist used to start seizing up. Not using the clutch for the upshifts relieve it of half the work to do and solved that issue. I would suggest anyone with your sort of issue either buy a high quality quick shifter for the road of when they are looking at a new bike look for one with factory fitted quick shifter, one that preferably works on up and down shifts. Squeezing a squash ball befor track days started would also help with the left wrist issues and is also worth doing while you have breakfast before a ride just to warm up you wrist. It helps.

Ciao

Phil, I have some pain in my thumb.  I went to therapist, she told me that squeezing a ball was one of the worst thing a person could do.  Of course hand pain doesn't equal wrist pain.  Her therapy fixed it about 70% and it's no longer chronic.  

Personally, I prefer the feel of a cable clutch and I don't find a hydraulic clutch any easier to pull.  I thought that I liked the simplicity of the cable too, until I snapped it on Supersport.  

I think I need a seal kit for my V11 Sport, Docc was mentioning it might be the spring.  I have two bikes with cables and two Hydraulic.  I like the feel and easy adjustment of the cable.  I had never broken a cable until a couple of weeks ago.  Oh well.