Ghezzi-Brian ECU for the V11 - anyone knows "Centraline Rapid-Bike"?

p6x

I have been in contact with Bruno, asking information about the ECU for the V11;

The information I have is that it is not a replacement of the original ECU, but an additional one.

Does anybody here tried it? it does not seem to be a Ghezzi brand.

Rapid-Bike Central Unit (translated from Italian)

The add-0n central unit manages the output of the stock injectors and relative ratio air/gas, in order to control the injection throughput along the entire map. The input from the Lambda sensor guaranties the perfect functioning as the injection is adapted automatically as the vehicle is driven. The injection map becomes dynamic and flexible, permanently adapted to the atmospheric conditions and the driving style.

The best results are obtained at low and medium rpm, correcting the injection mishaps due to the restrictions of the emission control rules.

The central unit is compatible with shifters, multiple maps, allows to increase the rpm limit up to 1000 rpm.

For dual cylinder engines with two lambda sensors, it is possible to have a correction specific for each cylinder.
Centraline Rapid-Bike

La centralina aggiuntiva per il controllo completo della carburazione agisce sulla gestione di
tutti gli iniettori originali e del relativo rapporto aria/benzina, così da poter modificare la mappa
di iniezione lungo tutto l’arco della curva di erogazione del motore senza percezione di anomalie.
La gestione del segnale della sonda lambda garantisce la messa a punto dell’esclusiva funzione
auto-adattativa: la carburazione si aggiorna automaticamente durante la guida del veicolo. La
mappa di iniezione diventa un fattore dinamico e flessibile, adattandosi perfettamente al mutare
delle condizioni atmosferiche e dello stile di guida. I benefici più importanti si realizzano ai bassi
e ai medi regimi correggendo le esitazioni del motore causate dalle sempre più restrittive leggi
anti-inquinamento. La centralina supporta il cambio elettronico (accessorio optional), la gestione
di mappe multiple, lo spostamento dei giri motore (fino a + 1000 rpm) e l’eliminazione del
limitatore di velocità. Sui motori bicilindrici dotati di due sonde lambda è possibile realizzare una
mappa ed un set di autocorrezione specifico per ogni cilindro. Con l’installazione del controller al
manubrio, la centralina acquisisce anche la gestione del freno motore e il limitatore di andatura.

2015-03-24 15.38.522015-03-24 15.38.43

2 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

Never heard of them, but they've been around a while- 

https://www.dimsport.it/en/

Add-on tuning always gets the side-eye from me.

I translated what that add-on claims to be doing. If it works the way it is described, then it seems to be a remedy to what most of us experience on our bikes around the 3000 rpm under certain atmospheric conditions.

So they just use a controller to change the input based on the output, which is easy to understand.

My question is, why not replacing the original ECU rather than correcting its output? I don't think they would be worried about invalidating the warranty on old bikes. Is this because of emission testing? something having to do with legal and law?

52 minutes ago, bbolesaz said:

Sounds like a Power Commander

Do you have one of those Power Commander installed on your V11?

18 minutes ago, p6x said:

Do you have one of those Power Commander installed on your V11?

I do. It came with the bike and I have no idea what it is programmed to or if it is even active. The bike runs great and there's an old engineering saying "If it works, don't F*&^ with it"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bbolesaz said:

I do. It came with the bike and I have no idea what it is programmed to or if it is even active. The bike runs great and there's an old engineering saying "If it works, don't F*&^ with it"

Should I understand that said power commander is an "add-on" ECU, correct? it does not replace the stock ECU but acts as an enhancer?

Just now, p6x said:

Should I understand that said power commander is an "add-on" ECU, correct? it does not replace the stock ECU but acts as an enhancer?

Correct. Or if not necessarily an "enhancer", then at least a "modifier."

The consensus has long been that this is obsolete technology now that we can read and write "maps" to our own ECU.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, and it's another ding dong that coud go bad. It's doable to tune the stock ECU.

Cheers Tom

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tomchri said:

Yes, and it's another ding dong that coud go bad. It's doable to tune the stock ECU.

Cheers Tom

If I understand correctly, the stock ECU does not have any dynamic adjustment. It just uses points from the map with no possible variation.

The "ding dong" adjusts the selected values in real time, based on the sensors information and the Lambda captor from the actual atmospheric condition .

This is what that box claims to do, but it looks like a much better way to get a smooth injection and a better running engine.

I have not tried to load an improved map in my ECU, but as the weather is getting warmer here in Houston, I am starting to have those low rpm coughs again.

The "magic box" is 510 EUR delivered, which is not chip (pun intended). The way I read it, it replaces the need to change maps. Even with a crude map, the algorithm automatically adjusts and corrects by simply reading the sensors input and output.

Obviously, that much as not been explained by whoever is on the other side of Ghezzi-Brian. I wish I could speak to someone who programed the ding dong.

@docc I finally managed to get the Lonelec interface to connect to my MacBook Pro running macOS Catalina version 10.15.7.

Do you know which V11 I should select from the drop down list? There are only two V11 Le Mans 2002, and V11 Le Mans Tenni.

Select "LeMans."

Find the CO Fuel Trim value. Report its preset and set it to zero (once the engine is at operating temperature).

When @andy york did this for my Sport, it transformed years of fussing with running issues. My CO Fuel Trim was factory set at minus/ negative/ - 27. :bbblll:

• Like 1

FWIW, "properly" set valves, CO Fuel Trim at zero or +, meticulously base-lined TPS, and carefully balanced throttle bodies seriously sweeten a V11.

Sure, securing even minuscule intake and exhaust leaks are significant, as is seeing to our rather fragile charging systems. :luigi:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, p6x said:

If I understand correctly, the stock ECU does not have any dynamic adjustment. It just uses points from the map with no possible variation.

The "ding dong" adjusts the selected values in real time, based on the sensors information and the Lambda captor from the actual atmospheric condition .

This is what that box claims to do, but it looks like a much better way to get a smooth injection and a better running engine.

I have not tried to load an improved map in my ECU, but as the weather is getting warmer here in Houston, I am starting to have those low rpm coughs again.

The "magic box" is 510 EUR delivered, which is not chip (pun intended). The way I read it, it replaces the need to change maps. Even with a crude map, the algorithm automatically adjusts and corrects by simply reading the sensors input and output.

Obviously, that much as not been explained by whoever is on the other side of Ghezzi-Brian. I wish I could speak to someone who programed the ding dong.

@docc I finally managed to get the Lonelec interface to connect to my MacBook Pro running macOS Catalina version 10.15.7.

Do you know which V11 I should select from the drop down list? There are only two V11 Le Mans 2002, and V11 Le Mans Tenni.

My suggestion to you is to spend some time learning about the system on the V11 and Guzzidiag, there's plenty of detailed information out there going back about 12 years since Guzzidiag was invented. You will then realise that this add on box is a waste of money because Guzzidiag in conjunction with Tunerpro will do everything it does without being an add on and for free. But as a start here's some information. You totally misunderstand how the 15M system works on the Guzzi. Basically it has base fuel and ignition maps ( as well as start enrichment and a few others) as all systems do and it adds trim values to the base maps dependent on atmospheric and operating conditions. So engine temp, Baro pressure, inlet air temp etc. It also takes commands from your right wrist via the TPS and the known engine rpm looks at what the base map is saying and all the environmental trims and injects the appropriate amount of fuel and applies the appropriate amount of ignition advance. As environmental conditions change such as Inlet air temp, engine temp, baro pressure so does the amount of fuel injected and the amount of ignition advance. It's all done in "real time". It's a very capable system and doesn't need any do dads and hang ons to do it job. It can be easily tuned via Guzzidiag and Tunerpro even for people with very basic computer skills like me.

Ciao  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

My brain still fogs into the deer in the headlight mode when I read these Guzzidiag threads. Maybe it’s because I’ve usually had a few IPAs before I settle down to look at the forum. I know this stuff won’t run on my IPad or IPhone, and I don’t have access to a Windows computer or lap top, and even if I did I am afraid that I would still be an idiot with it. Like I did when I tried using MIDI to program a DX7 keyboard. I have the stock ECU but with Mistral pipes and crossover. The bike seems to run pretty good, but ignorance is bliss and I am sure things could be optimized. Is there a YouTube or something that is a real talking to a dummy and holding their hand tutorial on this stuff? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

My brain still fogs into the deer in the headlight mode when I read these Guzzidiag threads. Maybe it’s because I’ve usually had a few IPAs before I settle down to look at the forum. I know this stuff won’t run on my IPad or IPhone, and I don’t have access to a Windows computer or lap top, and even if I did I am afraid that I would still be an idiot with it. Like I did when I tried using MIDI to program a DX7 keyboard. I have the stock ECU but with Mistral pipes and crossover. The bike seems to run pretty good, but ignorance is bliss and I am sure things could be optimized. Is there a YouTube or something that is a real talking to a dummy and holding their hand tutorial on this stuff? 

Take your pick. Anything from pauldaytona will be first class as he's one of the people behind it in the first place. How much is an old giveaway winows 8 laptop? probably a Giveaway, ie nothing. People use Guzzidiag on apple products. Also look at Tunerpro. Tunerpro is what you use to modify the .bin file you download with the Guzzidiag "reader". It's seriously NOT rocket surgery:) Believe me if I can get my head around it anyone can.

https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube+Guzzidiag&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBAU863AU863&oq=youtube+Guzzidiag&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i546l2j69i64.7419j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1