Stucchi rack installation on a 2003 Le Mans?

Guest jerroldt

Guest jerroldt

Hi:

I just received my Stucci rack with a bag full of hardware. I know that it must fit properly as it came from Mandello De Lario (Lake Como) which is the home of Guzzi. The instruction sheets are in several languages with English being badly broken. My girlfriend speaks several languages and told me which sheet pertains to my Le Mans. My question is this:

Should I just go ahead and remove the seat, seat latch assy., rear fender section etc. and do I need to remove the plastic seat shroud (with the Le Mans script) also?

I can probably dope it out but I am sure some members have installed this rack also, and hopefully can give me some simplified steps as well as things to do and not to do. I assume that I should use Loctite on the threads. Thanks, Jerry

Guest turtle

Yes, you do have to take all the tail plastic off. There should be diagrams in your instruction manual that show how to do this. If they don’t, I can fax you the piece of paper that came with my Rack. It’s an easy process but unfortunately the rack does not fit as nicely as you would think. It tends to push hard on the license plate holder, deforming it and messing up the junction with the tail plastic. The solution is to slip a hand full of washers between the frame and the rear rack bracket. The supplied bolts are not long enough for this so you will have to find your own. Once you get it to fit properly it makes for a sturdy and good looking rack. A bag I designed for the rack is shown in the classifieds section and I’ll make you one to match your bike for $40 bucks if you’re interested.

Good Luck, Aaron Bard

Guest odyssey986

Does anyone have pictures (or links to pictures) that show the two different versions of the Stucci rack?

On the MG Cycle site they mention both versions but only show the picture of the detachable model.

Thanks.

Guest indadogghouse

I ordered a non-detach rack for my 2003 v11 naked. I had to do some modifications to get it to fit. When I get the chance, I'll post some pictures.

It was not an easy install. The rack is pretty snug on the tail. It would not fit onto the rear peg mounts, the rack mount width was not wide enough(slight changes on 2003 vs earlier models, I guess?). I had to make some thick aluminum extenders from the peg mounts down to mount the rack. Now the clearance from seat to rear mud guard is reduced I found out from taking a passenger, the extenders I put on rubbed and scraped the rear wheel guard, so shock adjustments are necessary, to keep the seat raised. But it's on and I also got the soft cargo bags, which didn't need the spacer that come with them and instructions pictured that also mounts to the rear pegs. This further tells me the rear pegs must be different.