Fuel pump ( external )

docc

Pulling mySport up onto the lift last week after a short ride, I heard the fuel pump give a "screeeech", then the motor stumbled clutching up onto the lift. Stalled, restarted, pumped up, screeeched again. Ran rough, but coaxed it into the SportChock. :glare:

I want to just ignore this, but also have struggled with getting her to maintain idle where I prefer (1100-1250). She has struggled to keep 1000, even after addressing tuning parameters. :unsure:

So, I referenced @Scud's  Encyclopedia of Compatible Parts and found this MGCycle replacement fuel pump.

29107261.jpg

Anyone have direct experience with this fuel pump on a SpineFrame? :luigi:

TIA, docc (prepping for the Eighteenth South'n SpineRaid) . . .

• Like 1

Fuel Pump specification

From the Sport 1100 manual (I think all the systems on this vintage are identical).

The pump operates at 100 l/hr at 3 bar, this is what the system runs at and is an industry standard. There are other standard pressures too but Guzzi run at the 3 bar. The pump is overpressure protected at 5 bar, via the discharge feeding back to the inlet. The pump has a non return valve to prevent the system draining down through the pump when it's switched off.

Pierburg #7.21565.70.0. This pump is almost completely identical in every way to the specifications of the Weber PI-021 which was originally supplied, some folks state their pump was PI-121, I have no idea of the differences between the 2.
The Pierburg has overpressure protection and a check valve to maintain system pressure like the original.
Physically the pump is a bit different. It is thinner but comes with a rubber isolating sleeve which will allow fitment to the original bracket. Likewise the inlet has a 12mm barb suitable for installation of the existing inlet hose. The outlet is different. The model quoted here comes with a female threaded M10x1.0 connection. The pump is supplied with 2 adapters which fit into that connection. These are an M12 and an M14 both 1.5 pitch banjo connections. I found a 12mm banjo to 8mm barb off E-Bay that should allow me to install the original hose, with a little bit of rerouting.
I chose to go this way as I broke off the original plastic outlet which had welded itself to the hose, there is a cheaper direct Pierburg replacement. That model is the 7.21287.53.0. This has a plastic high pressure end but instead of the threaded outlet, it comes with an 8mm barb so should slot straight in

That's very old info from Guzzitech, it's my research so I'm not ripping off the info I was forced to go down that route before the cheaper pump quoted became available. The Pierburg is significantly more expensive, I thought I'd post it up anyway............never have too little info. Pretty sure the V11 with external pump will be identical as would the HiCams as well as the Sports.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pressureangle said:

I found this one, been happy with it for 16k miles and 4 years. Might even be the same one MG Cycle sells.

https://www.highflowfuel.com/quantum-moto-guzzi-1100-sport-inj-bj-efi-fuel-pump-1996-1999-replaces-gu29107261-gu03107270/

Yessir. That looks the same, $79.98US + S/H etc. from Quantum. MG Cycle is %54.56 + $11.95 S/H = $66.51US. Sp, probably $25+ cheaper. Thanks for posting this, @Pressureangle!

HFP-603__49897.1644620145.jpg?c=1

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, footgoose said:

mine's original. maybe a preemptive strike is in order

Perhaps, I'm still running the original in my HiCam and would still be using the original in the Sporti if the Fekin spigot hadn't broken off, the pump was fine

Spare might be a good idea I suppose

• Like 2

Quantum has been working fine for me, and so called life time warranty :rasta:.

Cheers Tom.

• Thanks 1

Just turned 125,000 miles/ 201.000 km warming the oil for a change and tune-up. I don’t recall mySport ever running this great at tune-up time. :sun:

No signs of fuel pump issues. Thinking back to the incident, it was a restart after sitting for a few minutes. Kind of classic “vapor lock” behavior ( never had this before).

So, on to the tune-up. Tank off another time. Thanks for the replies and confirmation on this fuel pump! :thumbsup:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, docc said:

Just turned 125,000 miles/ 201.000 km warming the oil for a change and tune-up. I don’t recall mySport ever running this great at tune-up time. :sun:

No signs of fuel pump issues. Thinking back to the incident, it was a restart after sitting for a few minutes. Kind of classic “vapor lock” behavior ( never had this before).

So, on to the tune-up. Tank off another time. Thanks for the replies and confirmation on this fuel pump! :thumbsup:

How 'bout dem geers, doe?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

How 'bout dem geers, doe?

I wonder at when I will go for the gears. Maybe pull the sump spacer at the same time and also install my genuine MotoModa® P'Roper sump plate . . . :luigi: (See also: the Rusty Star Picket Project )

(Probably no timing gears before this year's South'n SpineRaid. Yet, looking at a "Tank-off" before then for fuel/air filters, so likely install the new pump, Scud-made Shielded Fuel Line, and perhaps the LuckyPhil EZY-Glide fuel tap . . .)  :ph34r::ninja::sun:

IMG_6896.jpg

Just trying to make room for The Waddington Effect . . . :huh:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, docc said:

I wonder at when I will go for the gears. Maybe pull the sump spacer at the same time and also install my genuine MotoModa® P'Roper sump plate . . . :luigi: (See also: the Rusty Star Picket Project )

(Probably no timing gears before this year's South'n SpineRaid. Yet, looking at a "Tank-off" before then for fuel/air filters, so likely install the new pump, Scud-made Shielded Fuel Line, and perhaps the LuckyPhil EZY-Glide fuel tap . . .)  :ph34r::ninja::sun:

IMG_6896.jpg

Just trying to make room for The Waddington Effect . . . :huh:

"...The solution proposed by Waddington’s team...was to increase the time interval between scheduled maintenance cycles, and to eliminate all preventive maintenance tasks that couldn’t be demonstrably proven to be beneficial."

Check

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

"...The solution proposed by Waddington’s team...was to increase the time interval between scheduled maintenance cycles, and to eliminate all preventive maintenance tasks that couldn’t be demonstrably proven to be beneficial."

Check

How the Proper English would say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :grin:

• Haha 1