Is it just me, or is the Guzzi big block....

VtwinStorm

...probably the finest sounding V twin ever built?

I love the Ducati desmodue,  but I'll be damned if the big Guzzi doesn't match, or at least rival it for sound and character!

I'm loving mine more by the day.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, VtwinStorm said:

I love the Ducati desmodue,  but I'll be damned if the big Guzzi doesn't match, or at least rival it for sound and character!

No match for one of these esp with hi comp pistons and race cams.

DSC00591 - Copy.JPG

The Panigale V2 WSB's sounded the best of all the twins at race speeds At PI they had a sharp rasp to them at WOT and full revs down the chute and downright dangerous but the best bit was the initial crack of the throttle out of the slower corners like Southern loop. Even from 100 metres away as the rider stood it up on the fat part of the tyre and went WOT for the first second or so you could hear the induction roar from the twin 70mm throttle bodies easily over the exhaust. A truly evocative sound. Big twin sound is as much about the throttle body noise as the exhaust.

Ducati-Superleggera-Characters_03.jpg

Older versions like my 1198 had a much mellower sound on the track but sounded muscular and serious compared to the screaming 4 cylinder WSB bikes. They just sounded fraught. 

These sounded OK.

IMG_1387.JPG

Ciao

• Like 2

I have noted that Staintunes give it a distinctly basso profundo tone. Would like to have a Morini 1200 for comparison, but they are only 87º and are immoral to import.

The Guzzi V twin does sound nice. But I have heard better sounding motorcycles. Without getting into obscure options like the Honda 250 six GP bike, one of the coolest motorcycles I have heard was the factory RC30 superbike of Fred Merkel. Also high on my list is my old friends Ducati 851 with LaFranconi reverse cone megaphones. It was a little too loud, but boy did it sound great. My Griso has a two into one exhaust with a sweet aftermarket set up and it also sounds really nice. The two into one set up makes for a more aggressive sound.

There are so many great sounding motorcycles, but I can say I like the sound of the Moto Guzzi V twin. I just can't say it is the best sounding motorcycle.

Best Moto Guzzi V-twin I ever heard was Andy York's LeMans when it had the Gianelli on it.

Maybe because it was always in front of me. And pulling away . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

However, a big block Moto Guzzi does not need high compression pistons or to be at race speed to sound great. It sounds bellissimo at any revs, with any appropriate load.

On a side note 

Docc

I have recently ridden a friend GB500TT. What a little joy they are for a short sprint on some undulating twisties.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Cabernet said:

However, a big block Moto Guzzi does not need high compression pistons or to be at race speed to sound great. It sounds bellissimo at any revs, with any appropriate load.

On a side note 

Docc

I have recently ridden a friend GB500TT. What a little joy they are for a short sprint on some undulating twisties.

I sometimes refer to my GB as "Afternoon Delight "  (Other times, "Tiny Dancer ") . . . they are just sweet little things that offer up a surprisingly spritely treat. Sometimes the contrast with mySport reminds me of unplugging the Fender bass, turning off the Bassman amp, and picking up the fiddle...

10 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

The Guzzi V twin does sound nice. But I have heard better sounding motorcycles. Without getting into obscure options like the Honda 250 six GP bike, one of the coolest motorcycles I have heard was the factory RC30 superbike of Fred Merkel. Also high on my list is my old friends Ducati 851 with LaFranconi reverse cone megaphones. It was a little too loud, but boy did it sound great. My Griso has a two into one exhaust with a sweet aftermarket set up and it also sounds really nice. The two into one set up makes for a more aggressive sound.

There are so many great sounding motorcycles, but I can say I like the sound of the Moto Guzzi V twin. I just can't say it is the best sounding motorcycle.

I've owned both the RC30 and the 851 with the reverse cone megaphones. They were way to loud for the road though and I ended up with a full alloy can SP2 system on it. The RC30 sounded nice at WOT mostly due to intake noise. If you've ever heard a WSB RC30 running in the pits without the backlash gears fitted to the cam drive gears which is how they were run back in the late 80's you'd be shocked at the mechanical racket once they got warmed up. 

Scan_20210220 (167).png

Scan_20210220 (173).png

Ciao

• Like 3

20 hours ago, VtwinStorm said:

It has been said, "You Hear a Ducati, but, you Feel a Guzzi..."

• Like 4

On 4/25/2022 at 9:19 PM, VtwinStorm said:

Well they seem to have learned the art of machining quieting ramps and other changes into the cam lobes and valve train. The early Guzzi's valve trains sounded more like VW Beetles than a motorcycle. Actually, I have a '73 "Super" Beetle (Ha!) that would sound much better with a V11 motor! Hey, wait a minute...

My dibs for best sounding twins -

TRX850, V11 / 1100sport, 1098, best racing twin I heard though was the Irving Vincent 1600 running around Philip Island. This is a vid from Eastern Creek..

13 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

I've owned both the RC30 and the 851 with the reverse cone megaphones. They were way to loud for the road though and I ended up with a full alloy can SP2 system on it. The RC30 sounded nice at WOT mostly due to intake noise. If you've ever heard a WSB RC30 running in the pits without the backlash gears fitted to the cam drive gears which is how they were run back in the late 80's you'd be shocked at the mechanical racket once they got warmed up. 

Scan_20210220 (167).png

Scan_20210220 (173).png

Ciao

Yes, too loud is right. But they both still sounded excellent. Back in 1990 I was standing next to Fred Merkels RC30 as he warmed it up in the pits at Mosport. The racket it made was mechanical music to me. Also impressive was how quickly it rev'd up and down. It was instant, like a switch.

My buddies 851 was too loud. But it still sounded great. It had a more aggressive sound than most later Ducati's I have heard, not counting racebikes.

9 hours ago, ScuRoo said:

Can’t comment on your actual real life experience of the Irving - but just as a vid comparo this V11 blows it away 😉 

Sorry but you and I are on different planets with regards to what sounds good. That Video is bordering on obscene on several levels.

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3