More Bevel Box Fun

MotoG5

Hello,

First off many thanks to Pete Roper for the great write up on the new bevel box. I now at least am able to have a good idea of what my problem is. It looks like I will be getting into my bikes unit soon.Oh yes, my little dog who likes to lay in my lap while I use the computer thinks Collin is pretty cool.

I just got my bike back form the dealer after having the recall work done. All is well with that but it seems that the outer rear drive box seal is now leaking. This one would be on the right side sitting on the bike. I get gear box oil with molly in it leaking past the outboad support needle bearing Collin so kindly pointed out in Pete's pictures. On one hand if I dont fix it I would not have to worry about any water ingress or rusting in there but more than likely I will wind up fixing it. As the trip to my dealer is almost 700 miles round trip I will tackle the job myself. It would have been nice if this had shown up prior to taking the bike in for the recall as I would have had the dealer fix it. Now I get to do it instead. Oh well, that's life in Guzzi land. My question is how much touble I will run into in getting the needle bearing cage out to replace the seal? If anyone has any ideas I would like to hear them. Or if anyone knows of a puller set up that may work. Pete, any input would sure help here. Maybe there is a special tool for this but so far I haven't found one.

Thanks

RR

Unlike the earlier Tonti/1100 Sport type boxes the outer crownwheel support bearing is a.) caged within the outer race so you can't pluck the needles and cage out before tackling the race and b.) seems to be installed pretty bloody tight in the case itself. Both of these things will make it a right, royal, pain to remove without damaging it and I'd reckon it would cost a motza and be difficult to get from your average bearing factor so yoyu don't want to hurt it getting it out.

There *is* a substantial washer/spacer ring outboard of bearing and seal and also a metal ring underneath the bearing. On earlier boxes you could use a bearing puller on this ring and brace it against a blocker on the spacer in the box. It may still be possible to do this but I'd be careful.

Removing the pinion and it's bearing and baking the thing in the oven for a coupe of hours would probably get the bearing to drop out but I'd be very careful and the seal will probably melt and be a bastard to get out after this, then there is also the effect it might have on the paint.

If you can lay your hands on the correct expanding, blind bearing puller, this would probably be best but of course it's the expensive option.

I'd be tempted to try a bearing puller under the *ring* beneath the bearing and brace it against something resting on the washer/spacer. add a bit of heat to the case with a butane torch and apply pressure carefully.

Not having had to do it yet I can't give a definitive answer, sorry.

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for the input. It has helped me to make up my mind as to how to deal with this one. It starting to look like the learning curve on this one may get a bit to expensive. I think I will just go ahead and pull the bevel box and ship it to the dealer for the seal replacement. The shipping costs and a couple of hours of shop time will be much easier to bear than a damaged bearing cage or drive housing. Sometimes it can pay to be a little bit of a chicken.

RR

• 2 months later...
Guest Brian Robson

Thanks to Docc I found this thread....the needle roller bearing has gone and I have given it to Valley MG before I thought of doing something stupid to remove it.

The thoughts of the technician ( and this guy is a technician ) is to take a flat rod of the same internal diameter and spot tig weld on each side of the bearing and then hammer it out from the inside.

I will post the result on Wednesday.

Thank you Docc for your guide to this thread

Guest Brian Robson

I wondered if this would work, but I know less than the technician (Gord) whom I trust and the bike is still under warranty and they have been in touch with MG USA.

I'll have to have a little faith I suppose.

Guest Brian Robson

The news is that the bearing has been replaced by Valley MG (Gord). The part was ordered on the 24th and arrived on the 28th. Kudos are due to MG and the dealer. MG seem to get a bad rap and I will certainly give them credit when it is due.

Back on the road tomorrow. :):)

I have been riding my son's KZ440, and its handling sheds quite a new light on the Ohlins v Marzocchi argument :wacko: