oil leak, right side

p6x

On 4/30/2022 at 11:04 PM, PJPR01 said:

Glad to hear the V11 is running well!

And leaking oil too.... :D

I can't find the origin(s) of the leak(s). I clean the engine, do a run, and come back with the right side of it coated with oil and nothing to lead me to the culprit.

p6x, check your breather pipe from the top of the block to the frame, this is notorious for degrading and leaking oil. I had to replace mine after 17 years.

Rob

• Like 3

5 hours ago, O2 V11 said:

p6x, check your breather pipe from the top of the block to the frame, this is notorious for degrading and leaking oil. I had to replace mine after 17 years.

Rob

Is it something like an oil return? like carrying excess oil back to the sump? there is a technical term for this, which I know in French: "retour de fuites"; is leakage return line sounds correct?

3 hours ago, p6x said:

Is it something like an oil return? like carrying excess oil back to the sump? there is a technical term for this, which I know in French: "retour de fuites"; is leakage return line sounds correct?

Actually @O2 V11 is referring to the formed rubber line that gathers crankcase ventilation behind the motor at the top of the clutch housing and carries it forward, under the frame spine to connect to the bottom of the spine of the frame behind the headstock. This hose is notorious for degrading and leaking.  Sometimes, it can simply be tightened to the crankcase vent pipe.

There are other common leak sources. Where is your leak showing up: right/left, front of the motor vs back, top of the motor or bottom?

Anybody has photos of the intake of that hose? my engine gets oil slicked when I ride on long run. Only the right end side. That breather hose was indicated as a possible culprit.

8 minutes ago, docc said:

Actually @O2 V11 is referring to the formed rubber line that gathers crankcase ventilation behind the motor at the top of the clutch housing and carries it forward, under the frame spine to connect to the bottom of the spine of the frame behind the headstock. This hose is notorious for degrading and leaking.  Sometimes. it can be tightened to the crankcase vent pipe.

There are other common leak sources. Where is your leak showing up: right/left, front of the motor vs back, top of the motor or bottom?

I found that hose on MG Cycle, and found another topic in the forum.

The oil coat is on the right end side of the engine. Bottom only. I took some pictures let me try to find them.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, p6x said:

Anybody has photos of the intake of that hose? my engine gets oil slicked when I ride on long run. Only the right end side. That breather hose was indicated as a possible culprit.

Yeah, stand by for a minute or so.

This hose leaks from the top down. if your leak is low on the right, the oil cooler line connections to the sump, or the sump tightness/gaskets are suspect.

• Thanks 1

Here is an image looking from the front, right side back between the cylinders at a place where the breather hose can be abraded by contact with the engine oil feed lines to the top of the head. I have isolated the contact, here, with a plastic "Zip-Tie:

IMG_0266.jpg

• Thanks 1

Best post I found on the breather hose, with images of both ends, from @Jimmyegypt:

Coming from the clutch area behind the motor, looking from the left:

a5bd15bca70012390a3dedbe4294583e.jpg

Into the bottom of the spine frame at the front:

8754d1effd07d85478f3fd1f8624554b.jpg

• Like 2

These worm-screw adjustable collars....

Thanks, I have now an idea at what I should be looking for.

• Like 1

Possibly, you could benefit from snugging those "worm-screw adjustable collars." Yet, still good to inspect that breather hose along its full course. If it is the culprit, the top of your motor well be wet as seen in jimmyegypt's images.

There is the method of cleaning everything and spraying on a coating of dry "foot powder", go for a ride and observe where the powder discolors, revealing the leak source.

Gently snugging the sump fasteners may reveal loose ones. Same for checking tightness of the oil lines at the right front of the sump.

This image is of the crankcase vent oil return line ("retour de fuites") at the rear of the sump from the left side of the spine frame, but illustrates that the later oil lines, for the oil cooler as well, have double O-rings . . .

IMG_7176.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All 3 of mine dissolved. If leaking higher up it can catch onto a cable/wire/hose and follow it down to show up almost anywhere. I'd recommend buying one now to have on hand whatever you find.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are the oil cooler lines at the right front of the sump that should be evaluated (check tightness; clean, dry, spray foot powder, ride and look for discoloration).

IMG_5452.jpg

[These are the earlier "AN"/JIC flare fittings. Later V11 have double O-rings that could benefit from renewal.]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having a black engine does not help the trouble shooting.

I did check the tightness of the hoses connections to the oil radiator.

• Like 2