Can one open the headlight

PJPR01

The reflector/diffuser on my headlight on the Scura has broken off and is rattling around inside the headlight.  It's an octagonal piece of grey plastic, clearly has broken somehow - old age?  Has anyone ever taken their headlight apart to get inside it, or is it a fairly extensive "break the seal and reseal" type of operation.

Alternatives to stock headlight in case anyone has replaced the OEM one with an aftermarket or "new" old stock?

Many thanks in advance!

Probably best to search for a new unit: https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=322555

I was able to change the broken front glass on my 03 Rosso Corsa with that from a sport...now I'm not sure if it would work for your situation.  Stock replacements were few even 15 years ago.   I remember having to slowly use a dremel with a cut off wheel to remove the glass from the sport headlight.  I wanted the clear lens off the sport,  I think (this was years ago) that I was able to seal the new lens back on my existing lemans bucket, but the sport unit was trashed in the process of getting the glass.  Doing research back then, I believe a early to mid 2000's BMW headlight module could replace the stock unit, but it had fluted glass, unlike the clear lens on the MG.  I run a plexiglass cover over my headlight now to ward off rock strikes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Scura is the later plastic bucket, @PJPR01 ?

(The earlier, Bosch, steel bucket of the RedFrame Sports can be opened without damage.)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

The reflector/diffuser on my headlight on the Scura has broken off and is rattling around inside the headlight.  It's an octagonal piece of grey plastic, clearly has broken somehow - old age?  Has anyone ever taken their headlight apart to get inside it, or is it a fairly extensive "break the seal and reseal" type of operation.

Alternatives to stock headlight in case anyone has replaced the OEM one with an aftermarket or "new" old stock?

Many thanks in advance!

Just had my headlight out and for the life of me cannot remember if the reflector is crimped around the lens or not. If it is bonded, the adhesive may be sliced open and the "shield" epoxied back in place. Any number of adhesives would then bond the lens and reflector, with a high-temp silicone perhaps being ideal.

• Thanks 1

You can buy a new reflector at Stein Dinse. It is not in the catalogus, but they do sell it. Or the Dutch representative of SD has another source for this. JRE Robers motoren.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dank u wel....thanks all for the insights.

Will take out the headlight and see if the light can be opened up and diffuser repaired, since it's a black outer shell, I presume it's the outer plastic bucket.  Looks like the diffuser has a broken tab.

Interesting that the new Stein Dinse replacement does not have a diffuser, wonder if that is a brighter headlight than the OEM one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

Dank u wel....thanks all for the insights.

Will take out the headlight and see if the light can be opened up and diffuser repaired, since it's a black outer shell, I presume it's the outer plastic bucket.  Looks like the diffuser has a broken tab.

Interesting that the new Stein Dinse replacement does not have a diffuser, wonder if that is a brighter headlight than the OEM one.

The diffuser is necessary for old H4 bulbs. The ones the sell today have a diffuser on the tip of the bulb.

If your diffuser is still not touching the reflector, you might be able to get it out through the hole of the light-bulb. Then it is good to go again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/4/2022 at 6:04 PM, PJPR01 said:

Many thanks in advance!

Whoaa there fella!  Don’t break it or buy a new unit.  What i did was reach in with a set of tin snips and cut bits off it till it was small enough to drop out.  It’s only very thin metal so cuts very easily.

• Like 4

When I got my bike, the inside surface of the lens had a smoky film on it. That could not stand. So, I took a cotton 'shooter's swab' and made a wire extension for the handle, then soaked the cotton in Windex. Looking from the front, I made sure to clean the entire inner surface of the lens. The result was that it is now clear as it was supposed to be. The film came from??? Maybe the assembly worker was smoking... :rolleyes:

Screen%20Shot%202022-05-05%20at%2012.37.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stewgnu said:

Whoaa there fella!  Don’t break it or buy a new unit.  What i did was reach in with a set of tin snips and cut bits off it till it was small enough to drop out.  It’s only very thin metal so cuts very easily.

I did the same. It takes a bit of patience.

You guys are amazingly creative!! Luckily I have the tools at my disposal so let the project begin!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stewgnu said:

After removing the old diffuser did you also replace it or just leave the headlight without the diffuser?

A brand new headlight does something, I think. Got it from Germany 7months ago.
Cheers Tom. aed6a4c22c99712bf8ad4a44971f63cd.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A525F via Tapatalk

• Like 4

Just now, Tomchri said:

A brand new headlight does something, I think. Got it from Germany 7months ago.
Cheers Tom. aed6a4c22c99712bf8ad4a44971f63cd.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A525F via Tapatalk

Is that a complete LED unit or LED "bulbs" installed in a new factory headlamp?