Greenie refurb

Gmc28

Finally getting around to getting a little more done on the Greenie.  It's the one i picked up about a year ago that legitimately only has about 1200 miles on the clock, but was stored poorly for part of its more recent life, and needs a good going-through from top to bottom.  Red Lemans is running sweet, and now that i've got my arm/shoulder seemingly back healthy enough to ride again, all good there. 

Lot's of both good and bad surprises so far as I find time now and then to get back and tinker with Greenie.  I have the tank stripped and repainted (ethanol damage), which came out nice (previously posted), and i'll be doing the decent tune up as I go along.  I'll post some things on this thread now and then with how its going, and if anyone is so inclined they can chime in with comments or input. 

The paint on the chops and the frame is in mostly showroom condition, but then there's a couple spots where its real bad.  Presumably its where water collects and drips when its wet from poor storage. in any case, i'll clean that up, and be looking for a decent red paint match if anyone has that intel (pretty sure that's searchable here, but haven't tried yet).  The silver paint i think i have figured out, and its on order.

IMG_2053.jpg

Similar with some of other bits here and there, including the aluminum cover up on the "dash".  In a haze i bought plastic paint for that, but woke up and remembered i'll need aluminum paint.  so will be looking at that shade of aluminum as well, to see if its different or same as the block paint.

IMG_2052.jpg

anyone know where to find these cheaper than 70 euros (delivered)?

IMG_2527.jpg

looking at how to clean up the bad chrome here.  naughty, naughty chrome...

IMG_2069.jpg

This would make me look for a hydraulic fluid leak, either clutch of front brake systems. This just looks beyond just "water" to me . . .

IMG_2053.jpg

Seems @Scud found a good silver to match the early Sport silver. Perhaps it is a VHT engine paint?

Member @sp838 had the eagle badges 3D printed, but not sure if only in the Gambalunga logo or also in the traditional. The (expensive) originals are aluminum.  The chrome headtube cover may clean up with 00 steel wool. Surprisingly, 00 steelwool is awesome for chromed steel and shines without scratching.

Touche doc.  I'd tend to agree, but no obvious signs of hydraulic issues up above, and i'd have thought i'd see other signs of damaged paint leading to that area.  But now that you mention it, worth a re-look.

• Like 1

And here she is, on the budget harbor freight stand now that Red is done and out of the way for rest of year.  Don't judge the glimpses of my messy shop.

IMG_2020.jpg

1 minute ago, paulnaz said:

Everyone needs a Voglezang!! 

I had to to look that up. I thought it was a still . . . :sun:

Fuglesang in squarehead language.   Nice project, Legnano is special. I woud start with a spray can of good solvent more than once. Happy tlc Greg.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Twin AH said:

Was that one found on a coastal location?

That's some interesting corrosion considering the mileage.

Enthusiast............

It was kept in a shed, that must have leaked.  And spent its only active riding year in seattle where there's salt and rain...

As i go through it i'm wiping off a lot of grime and mildew type stuff.  But underneath in most cases is usually a "gleaming" surface of some sort, except in those cases where its bad, and then its often real bad.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, paulnaz said:

Everyone needs a Voglezang!!   Good luck with the project !

Paul B:bier:

You mean the wood stove?  Isn't Voglezang a brand of stove, or is it a style?  My stove in the shop is just one of the double barrel stoves, where the kit with the door and feet is purchased cheap, and you add the barrels and a chimney.  But heats fast and strong.  Lot better than the propane options i've tried out there over the years that leave strange humidity and not enough heat. 

Inside the house is my hat-tip to the couple good Norwegians on this forum, as that's where I have my beloved big Norwegian Jotul stove.  It's other title is my task-master.  I spend too much time cutting firewood when i should be working on the motorcycle!  My old house is too old and drafty, so the Jotul demands to be well fed.  But in fairness it also keeps my 85 yr old father active, as he runs that chainsaw all summer...   For those so inclined, the book "norwegian wood" is a quirky and interesting read. Yes, the multi-play on words is intended.  figured it was just a coffee table book with nifty pics, but ended up being an interesting read.

• Like 3

Back in the 80's, Northern tool used to sell the barrel stove kits made by Vogelzang and I actually believe they were an asian knock-off.  We built one for our shop and used mostly pallet wood , and it worked great. 3500 foot shop area and we mounted a pedestal fan behind the upper barrel and would heat up the whole shop in a hurry.

Nowadays  your right, they make stoves but back in the day they only had the kits for DIY'ers.

Paul B :bier:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1