Greenie refurb

Gmc28

I've seen these polished (not sure they were cleared, but probably).  Just too shiny for my tastes. I like the way the early sport's are "subdued" with very, very little chromed or polished metals.

I'll try and hunt down the silver @Scud used. It was a better match, IMO, than the Eastwood AlumiBlast I've been using.

18 hours ago, docc said:

Many thanks.  I put that on order last week with a local auto store, as no one around had it in stock, but “supply chain” and other issues make it several weeks away.  All fine, but i was looking around at other options, and sure enough the aluminum paint that i picked up did seem more shiny than i prefer, so i grabbed a can of satin finish clear, and thats the next experiment i was going to try.  But all while awaiting the VHT.  

I did grab a bit of “tool box red”, for the little area of nasty rust that I’ll be cleaning up and prepping on the frame. Low risk of issue there, for while its visible, its somewhat tucked in under things and not as obvious, and will have a weld joint as a border. 

• Like 1

Mostly had to work on other house projects yesterday, but fwiw did compare several aluminum gray paints sprayed on some scrap aluminum to the original alt cover and the turn signal cover, and this Seymour “original non smudge aluminum finish” looked to be a very close match. And it says its good for engine blocks and such.  Will see how it really looks later on the actual items that need the paint, and next to the VHT if it ever arrives. 

D2AFE2F3-8C6F-4891-B60C-F4BD2E75CED9.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Lousy, low rez pic, but the Seymour paint yielded a good look, for now. Will see how it holds up compared to the powder coat I did on Red.

B8BE64FD-CA62-47CC-AE4F-6E8AD6C490F9.jpeg

• Like 3

Going to send in the Veglia to the fellow back east (US) to see if he can address the odometer trip meter reset push pin, which is missing.

taking it apart looks like its been messed with, as the back light bulb is missing, and the electrical lead to it is taped to another lead (I’m thinking to address the issue with the flashers and such?), and the one mounting stud is bent and loose.  

6446DFE6-4B3D-46CD-8583-A47BFD2A1B20.jpeg

Missed this project when it started. Looks like a worthy endeavor. Did the VHT paint ever show up? I probably have a partial can that I could send your way if you still want it.

8 hours ago, Scud said:

Missed this project when it started. Looks like a worthy endeavor. Did the VHT paint ever show up? I probably have a partial can that I could send your way if you still want it.

No joy on the VHT.  But in a barely relevant data gathering endeavor I tried 4 different paints that were labeled as “aluminum” in color/finish (well, 3 actually, plus the polished+clear option), and there wasn’t a significant amount of difference in the 3.  The Seymour did turn out looking pretty darn good.  I may get back to O’Reilly’s and seeing if that order for the VHT is still in the works, but for now am happy with the cosmetic outcome with the Seymour paint. 

This project is moving very slowly, which is largely by design, in part to help me keep some sanity, as i set lower personnel expectations for the project, as inevitably work and other more pressing home projects get in the way.  Uh-oh, i hope I’m not growing up…..   the missus has realized that there is always more work to be done on the bikes, so the excuse of “i need to work on the bikes” has played itself out i think.

anyway, next is the Veglia speedo, shipping off to the fellow back east.  Then finish the “decent tune”.  And then i have a set of Rizoma LED turn signals coming, and will decide whether to use those on Greenie, or Red, or both if I like the outcome.  Then the small amount of red paint work that needs addressing at that left side frame/motor-mount area, where moisture caused some nasty rust.  Then sort out the air temp sensor, which currently goes into that water bottle the PO had under the tank (probably route that line like others have suggested).  Etc….  It’ll certainly spill well into the winter.

• Like 4

Joel Levine says he can just ship me an odometer reset knob, but wants to know if its a 2.5mm or 3mm thread.  I may have to ring him and ask what he means, given how the email was written (he refers to the “length of the knob”), but does that ring a bell for anyone?  I believe he’s referring to the depth of the thread, and if so thinking that’ll be fun trying to measure that, tucked back in the housing like it is. Or the actual knob itself… 2.5 vs 3mm for that would matter?  I’ve never seen what was there as it was missing from day 1 for me, but I’ll go out and look at the (barely) newer V11 to compare.

And my bent mounting stud on back of the speedo will require removing the bezel to get at the back of the case.  Anyone know if thats a tricky process? I’ve not had any of these Veglia speedo’s apart. 

1 hour ago, footgoose said:

Wow, good catch!.  Never thought to look right under my nose for that.

and of course I just ordered some misc items from mgcycle, so I’ll get to pay the shipping charge yet again….

I’m going to start reading up more on the Veglia’s.  At this early point I’m looking at this “gauge cup” for the 80mm Veglia from MGcycle, wondering if its actually a replacement for the stock Veglia housing, or if rather the whole existing gauge sits inside this cup?  

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2741

My housing is functional, but the back side (facing forward on back, back of the instrument) somehow came all bent out of shape, with the mounting studs barely hanging on, and the illumination bulb missing.  

The holes on the back of the MGcycle gauge cup look to mostly match what i see on the back of my Veglia speedo, though missing the two holes for the screws where the speedo cable goes (easily remedied if this is in fact a housing and not just a mounting cup). Fact that its in 2 pieces seems like its perhaps not a replacement housing, but not sure.

07018AEB-2566-4564-86B9-B1E5C390D54C.jpeg

• Like 1

Here’s the MGcycle cup

98CED45D-9D28-4571-9741-2D85BD898B5B.png