Greenie refurb

Gmc28

6 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

I’m going to start reading up more on the Veglia’s.  At this early point I’m looking at this “gauge cup” for the 80mm Veglia from MGcycle, wondering if its actually a replacement for the stock Veglia housing, or if rather the whole existing gauge sits inside this cup?  

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2741

My housing is functional, but the back side (facing forward on back, back of the instrument) somehow came all bent out of shape, with the mounting studs barely hanging on, and the illumination bulb missing.  

The holes on the back of the MGcycle gauge cup look to mostly match what i see on the back of my Veglia speedo, though missing the two holes for the screws where the speedo cable goes (easily remedied if this is in fact a housing and not just a mounting cup). Fact that its in 2 pieces seems like its perhaps not a replacement housing, but not sure.

07018AEB-2566-4564-86B9-B1E5C390D54C.jpeg

This won't work I dont think. It states for "custom console applications only"  and I think the wall thickness will be too thick to fit the std V11 console. Others may be able to confirm my thoughts.

Phil

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

This won't work I dont think. It states for "custom console applications only"  and I think the wall thickness will be too thick to fit the std V11 console. Others may be able to confirm my thoughts.

Phil

Agreed.

I would be inclined to steer these mounts into alignment, and JBweld them to the cup.

Not sure why the PO would tape off the bulb connector. Looks like you'll need a bulb socket to restore that illumination, @Gmc28 . . .

07018AEB-2566-4564-86B9-B1E5C390D54C.jpeg

• Like 1

Makes sense.  

Getting access to the empty cup should yield a fairly straightforward task of flattening the back side. 

4 minutes ago, Gmc28 said:

Makes sense.  

Getting access to the empty cup should yield a fairly straightforward task of flattening the back side. 

That will require removing and replacing the bezel. Perhaps when Joel Levine does this, he would address those mounting studs?

Otherwise, why not straighten them up, loosen them slightly and apply the JBWeld from the outside? Mine was addressed like this and never failed.

Just now, docc said:

That will require removing and replacing the bezel. Perhaps when Joel Levine does this, he would address those mounting studs?

Otherwise, why not straighten them up, loosen them slightly and apply the JBWeld from the outside? Mine was addressed like this and never failed.

That may indeed be what will happen.  If the gauge wasn’t working properly, getting it off to Joel would be the ticket i think, and then may as well do the proper straightening.  But if the MGcycle part addresses the reset issue (which from what I see now is common), then no other reason at this point to tear into it, so the JBweld may be the most reasonable answer.

the outer plastic cover that goes over both gauges also is cracked around the area where the odo reset goes through, so will be looking at some crafty epoxy work there, while also looking for another new-to-me housing if one can be had. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Bumping my old topic, as greenie slowly starts getting some attention again...

Anyone know if '03 lemans turn signals fit on the older Lemans or sports (99-02)?  In pictures on MGcycle the signals for the '03+ look a little less ugly, so am thinking about those as an option.  Looking at other options too, but am curious if anyone knows if the later model signals will work as an option.

Re-assembling the speedo cluster and addressing some of the little issues there.  On the triple tree the paint is not looking so great (common), but more concerning is the bit of rust on the chromed center... about 1/3 of it is just rust w/no chrome.  Noodling how to address that.

4 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

Bumping my old topic, as greenie slowly starts getting some attention again...

Anyone know if '03 lemans turn signals fit on the older Lemans or sports (99-02)?  In pictures on MGcycle the signals for the '03+ look a little less ugly, so am thinking about those as an option.  Looking at other options too, but am curious if anyone knows if the later model signals will work as an option.

[...]

As far as I can remember, the turn signals are all te same throughout the years/models. On the LeMans the front stalks are  somewhat longer, but that's because of an extender. (or was it the other way around?) And if I recall correctly some models have clear lenses with an orange bulb?

4 hours ago, Admin Jaap said:

As far as I can remember, the turn signals are all te same throughout the years/models. On the LeMans the front stalks are  somewhat longer, but that's because of an extender. (or was it the other way around?) And if I recall correctly some models have clear lenses with an orange bulb?

Thanks, and makes sense. 

Was chewing on whether to try and stay “authentic” and stock on this very-low-miles greenie, or improve a thing or two along the way.  Have half-hearted leaned toward staying authentic, but I got the bike with pods and bar end mirrors already installed, so have become more inclined to mod little things that are easily reversed back to stock, and the signals are one of those, if done right.

I see lots of info on the LED conversion, and I’ve converted other bikes with little issue, but seems more of a process on the V11’s. And its not a daily rider, so I don’t think i care about the LED advantages, which leaves me with a couple after market halogen options, like the 2003+ signals which look slightly less dorky in pictures, or some of the brit bike sites that have some nifty looking options that fit the look of the bike, and look like they’ll be almost “plug and play” for fit,  but are pretty spendy. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

confirmed - the '03 and later signals fit, as expected.  the damaged signals on back are now a retro-look LED, and up front its the '03 signals minus the metal spacer, which I think cleans up the look.  jury is out on the rear retro signals... not sure i'll keep those.  pics may follow for those interested.

• Like 2

IMG_3144.jpeg

IMG_3143.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My jury is still out on those little LED’s on the back end. I like that they’re less gaudy, but not necessarily a home run.  Price wise they are nice, as compared to the nicer, slightly larger but similar option from a British retro bike site. 

The ‘03+ signals on front (or in any position) look slightly but clearly better to me.  In the eye of the beholder. 

Fly screen going on soon on the front.  Which sort of changes the look, but not having the old yellow signals stick way out there is a good step in my humble opinion. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the pictures @Gmc28 , I can’t say that these rear signals stir up any kind of lust in me to be honest . . . sorry!

It IS hard to improve upon a masterful design. 

7 hours ago, Speedfrog said:

Thanks for the pictures @Gmc28 , I can’t say that these rear signals stir up any kind of lust in me to be honest . . . sorry!

It IS hard to improve upon a masterful design. 

Fair enough.  Zero question that all such things are simply in the eye of the beholder. For me, the stock signals have always been somewhat of an eye sore, looking a bit hokey and out of place, from the first day years ago when I saw my friends otherwise beautiful V11. But I also don’t like the look of most obvious mods.  It’s mostly a “who cares” thing, but i happen to need to repair the signals on greenie anyway, so I’m wading in to trying to figure out what I actually like, which is something that isn’t the stock setup, but also which blends/fits in.  Those little black ones on back are probably a bit too small for my preference, and maybe too “brit-bike”…

• Like 2

Freed up another small chunk of time for Greenie today… so wandered out and popped the Stucchi fly screen on.

”Popped” is a stretch of a term, because what I figured would be an easy afternoon in the shop with a game on in the background and messing with the fly screen and then other stuff, turned into a few hours  of me getting some good curse-word practice.  Not hard, just a bigger production than I had figured. 

Fuel tank + body bits next.

valves are done, so decent tune-up with the laptop magic will follow after that. 

The pic with the speedo shows the poor cosmetic condition of triple tree area, which I need to work on, somehow. 

IMG_3202.jpeg

IMG_3203.jpeg

• Like 2