IGNORED

Greenie refurb

Gmc28

6 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

I’m going to start reading up more on the Veglia’s.  At this early point I’m looking at this “gauge cup” for the 80mm Veglia from MGcycle, wondering if its actually a replacement for the stock Veglia housing, or if rather the whole existing gauge sits inside this cup?  

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2741

My housing is functional, but the back side (facing forward on back, back of the instrument) somehow came all bent out of shape, with the mounting studs barely hanging on, and the illumination bulb missing.  

The holes on the back of the MGcycle gauge cup look to mostly match what i see on the back of my Veglia speedo, though missing the two holes for the screws where the speedo cable goes (easily remedied if this is in fact a housing and not just a mounting cup). Fact that its in 2 pieces seems like its perhaps not a replacement housing, but not sure.

07018AEB-2566-4564-86B9-B1E5C390D54C.jpeg

This won't work I dont think. It states for "custom console applications only"  and I think the wall thickness will be too thick to fit the std V11 console. Others may be able to confirm my thoughts.

Phil

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

This won't work I dont think. It states for "custom console applications only"  and I think the wall thickness will be too thick to fit the std V11 console. Others may be able to confirm my thoughts.

Phil

Agreed.

I would be inclined to steer these mounts into alignment, and JBweld them to the cup.

Not sure why the PO would tape off the bulb connector. Looks like you'll need a bulb socket to restore that illumination, @Gmc28 . . .

07018AEB-2566-4564-86B9-B1E5C390D54C.jpeg

• Like 1

Makes sense.  

Getting access to the empty cup should yield a fairly straightforward task of flattening the back side. 

4 minutes ago, Gmc28 said:

Makes sense.  

Getting access to the empty cup should yield a fairly straightforward task of flattening the back side. 

That will require removing and replacing the bezel. Perhaps when Joel Levine does this, he would address those mounting studs?

Otherwise, why not straighten them up, loosen them slightly and apply the JBWeld from the outside? Mine was addressed like this and never failed.

Just now, docc said:

That will require removing and replacing the bezel. Perhaps when Joel Levine does this, he would address those mounting studs?

Otherwise, why not straighten them up, loosen them slightly and apply the JBWeld from the outside? Mine was addressed like this and never failed.

That may indeed be what will happen.  If the gauge wasn’t working properly, getting it off to Joel would be the ticket i think, and then may as well do the proper straightening.  But if the MGcycle part addresses the reset issue (which from what I see now is common), then no other reason at this point to tear into it, so the JBweld may be the most reasonable answer.

the outer plastic cover that goes over both gauges also is cracked around the area where the odo reset goes through, so will be looking at some crafty epoxy work there, while also looking for another new-to-me housing if one can be had. 

• Like 2