False Neutrals

Janusz

It happened again today: I hit a false neutral. They are not very frequent but I would have one say every 1,000 km on average. Mostly on upshift fron 2nd to 3rd. Maybe when I am somewhat sloppy on upshift but then no, it normally never happened with my other bikes before.

Do you guys experience that? What might be the reason or a possible remedy? What is the best course of action when it happens at speed; I always slow down and upshift again; would going down back to 2nd be better?

Guest Marcel

Hi,

Alfie (my 50000km '96 Transalp has the same problem). I just pull the clutch and do again what I used to do (down when going down, up when going up. SOmetimes it rattles, then I kick it the reverse way).

My experience is that I just didn't kick hard enough the first time or let the clutch out to soon (before finishing the gear change).

Never happened on my VFR, happens to me on the RM as well. Dutch reviewer said that you really have to finish the gearchange on the new 6 speed gearbox. different gearboxes, different style of shifting.

Guest HI-TECH-CHECK

That has happened to me multiple times. I put it off to sloppy shifting on my part but yet it is always the 2-3 shift when it happens. Maybe it is like a BMW. It just needs 10,000 miles to be broken in. :lol:

I am not sure if I am getting better at shifting or the fact that I have 16,ooo miles on her. But, I am finding fewer and fewer false neutrals. I was often missing several times every 1000km and now it is about ten times less frequent. Do be firm with the shifts, and give it a fraction more of a second more time of the shifting and clutching to allow a good synchronization. Next time it happens, you might try coming to a stop, before reengaging the gears. Mine sure makes a nasty clunk when I try to get it into gear after a miss. I have been too impatient to try coming to a stop. :doh: But it is worth a try and may greatly extend the life of our drive train. :bier:

Guest JEB758

I have also been experiencing the false neutrals. Mine occur mainly during down shifts. I thought for certain it was my error but it’s interesting to hear it is occurring to other owners.

In two weeks Branchville Motors in Ridgefield, CT., is having an open house. Moto Guzzi USA is bringing in several Guzzi’s for test rides. They are going to have factory reps there, if I get the chance I talk with them about the false neutrals.

J.Bee

Ask the Guzzi reps if they are aware of Guzzi tech bull. #12 , It refers of some changes in the shifting mechanism to impove shifting. A new shifting hook(I call it a shifting pawl) , a cam assembly that rides on the back of the hook, and a heat treated spring. I am just curious if MGNA is aware of it.

Hank