Anyone here with Aprilia Tuono 1100 experience?

In my never ending quest on ideas for "another" motorbike that could come close to the feel and pleasure of the V11 Le Mans, I think I have discarded Aprilia too quickly.

How is the Tuono 1100?

How comfortable is it on long rides? as good as the V11? I am mainly interested in the amount of weight on the wrists and how curled your legs have to be.

I am mainly interested in the amount of weight on the wrists

I had this problem when I was still a yout :) in my late 50s. I thought I was in pretty good shape, but a personal trainer told me my core strength sucked, and he would get me back on sport bikes in a couple of months. After nearly killing me, he did.

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

I had this problem when I was still a yout :) in my late 50s. I thought I was in pretty good shape, but a personal trainer told me my core strength sucked, and he would get me back on sport bikes in a couple of months. After nearly killing me, he did.

My left wrist is damaged owing to my days doing Inline skating. Each time I ride, I need to keep my left hand opened, with my fingers laying on the clutch lever.

To complicate matters, I started to ride vintage motorbikes early in my teens, those had extremely hard clutches and I also have a permanent tendinitis on my left hand.

I doubt any kind of muscle training could change that. I sometimes wear a brace on my left hand for support. I have been told "infiltration" could alleviate the pain, but I am unwilling to try.

It’s all about core strength and hugging the tank with your knees. When I started thinking about this it transformed riding my V11 for me. Try to keep the pressure off of your wrist, like your hands are almost floating on the bars, like playing the piano. This is why I put tank grips on my bike. It helps. Depending on what pants I was wearing, sometimes it was hard to grip the tank and not slide. Find a good Pilates studio and practice Pilates. It’s not like hippy-dippy yoga; it’s German and is very efficient.

The Tuono is a fantastic bike, handles great, gobs of power, easy to ride. The new base model, the RR, not the Factory, now has a bit taller windscreen, more bar rise, and lower pegs. I have seen these bikes fitted with a rack and bags, and I think it would make an awesome sport touring bike.

Are you near AF1 Racing? They probably have one you could demo.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, p6x said:

How is the Tuono 1100?

How comfortable is it on long rides?

For my tastes they're a bit too modern, complicated and I "think" tuning and design is more on the leading edge of the spectrum.

From reading Pete's posts over the years, I think he has a good opinion of the brand.

I read the local ricky racers, raving about the Apes abilities and attributes, but I don't ever recall them describing them as comfortable.

fwiw ymmv

• Like 1

It’s all about core strength and hugging the tank with your knees.

Yep. If you are putting weight on the bars, it affects the bike's handling, not to mention hand, wrist, shoulder, and neck pain. Don't ask me how I know..:oldgit:

• Like 1

Hi,

I have a 2017 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory as my second bike and Nordschleife-tool. The Tuono's performance, handling, gearshifter (blipper!), brakes, etc. are in a different league than the Guzzi. This said, it is much easier (and much less frustrating) to enjoy the Guzzi at legal speeds than the Tuono. With the Tuono, you always feel like wanting to go faster.  I am 187 cm and while the upright seating position on the Tuono is obviously more comfortable, the Le Mans offers me more leg room.  Suspension comfort seems similar (both are Ohlins and adjusted to my weight (76 Kg)).

Even though the Tuono and the Guzzi are extremely different bikes, I enjoy riding both of them, adjusting my riding style (and expectations!) to their (very different) character. 

RT Tuono.jpg

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Kane said:

The Tuono is a fantastic bike, handles great, gobs of power, easy to ride. The new base model, the RR, not the Factory, now has a bit taller windscreen, more bar rise, and lower pegs. I have seen these bikes fitted with a rack and bags, and I think it would make an awesome sport touring bike.

Are you near AF1 Racing? They probably have one you could demo.

AF1 Racing is at Austin; but I added them up to my list.

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

Yep. If you are putting weight on the bars, it affects the bike's handling, not to mention hand, wrist, shoulder, and neck pain. Don't ask me how I know..:oldgit:

I would not say that I am putting undue weight on the bars, but I rest my hands on it. I easily rest my upper torso on the tank and hide behind the fairing without feeling awkward. Cuts the noise and wind pretty well.

22 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

For my tastes they're a bit too modern, complicated and I "think" tuning and design is more on the leading edge of the spectrum.

From reading Pete's posts over the years, I think he has a good opinion of the brand.

I read the local ricky racers, raving about the Apes abilities and attributes, but I don't ever recall them describing them as comfortable.

fwiw ymmv

I concur with you. A very enticing aspect of the V11 is its retro look. The Aprilia looks too futuristic with all these angular accents.

1 hour ago, rosso corsa said:

Hi,

I have a 2017 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory as my second bike and Nordschleife-tool. The Tuono's performance, handling, gearshifter (blipper!), brakes, etc. are in a different league than the Guzzi. This said, it is much easier (and much less frustrating) to enjoy the Guzzi at legal speeds than the Tuono. With the Tuono, you always feel like wanting to go faster.  I am 187 cm and while the upright seating position on the Tuono is obviously more comfortable, the Le Mans offers me more leg room.  Suspension comfort seems similar (both are Ohlins and adjusted to my weight (76 Kg)).

Even though the Tuono and the Guzzi are extremely different bikes, I enjoy riding both of them, adjusting my riding style (and expectations!) to their (very different) character. 

RT Tuono.jpg

It is easy to go fast in Texas, as it seems nobody pays any attention to posted speed signs. Post pandemic, everybody goes as they need or feel necessary. I still see some Police prowlers in ambush, but I don't see them chasing anybody going under limit+30/35 mph.

There aren't any fix radars like in Europe here. But it is so hot and humid that wringing out the throttle can be unpleasant.

Yesterday I rode the back roads between the farms, and I had to stop to clean my visor, literally opaque with the amount of bugs having sploshed on it!

12 hours ago, rosso corsa said:

Hi,

RT Tuono.jpg

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2021-Aprilia-TUONO+V4+1100-5018414890

Why would you replace the tires after 853 miles? the only reason that comes to mind is that bike was used on track.

• Like 1

There ya go! That’s the new version set up more like a sport touring bike with more windscreen and stretched out ergos. I wonder what fresh tires are on it? People get wild hares up their arses ‘bout rubber. Could be a PO sorting it to suit them more than what came on the bike. Yes, it’s modern and angular, and when you get a chance to ride it you won’t care because you will fall in love. You could go with a lovely new Duc Supersport for about the same price if you want a classic looking sport tourable ride, but the Tuono will be better at everything.

I, and the Mighty Scura were on "The Snake" in the Santa Monica mountains, when I saw a bike behind me in my mirrors. I'm not a "A" rider, but can keep up with the "B" riders easily.. so it was an unusual occurrence. Naturally, I waved him by, and he disappeared in three corners. I thought, "What the hell was that??"  He stopped at the Rock Store, and we had the place to ourselves midweek. Sat on the steps and shot the shit for a while. He was a magazine tester on a new Tuono, and said it was insane. I believed him.. I've never seen a bike accelerate out of a corner like that..

• Like 1