Kickstand Switch Possibly

dbarb3

I'm about ready to burn this LeMans

Finally got it sorted I thought.  Stopped for fuel yesterday filled up. Put up kickstand to start and no turn over.  Put down kickstand fired right up.

Go out today put up kickstand fires right up.  After the ride I switched off and tried to restart put kickstand up, tried to start and no action. Pressed clutch in no action.  Put kickstand down no start.  Pressed clutch in no start.

Good grief.

• Confused 1

Bike in gear or neutral?

Neutral light lit?

Holding the clutch lever in every time?

Run switch definitely on?

• Like 1

Sounding like the "bullet" connectors for the clutch safety switch that are on the forward, left side of the spine frame under the tank. Unless someone has disabled that safety switch, there will be no start (no click, no groan, no nothing) unless the clutch is disengaged (lever held in) to start.

With the bike in neutral, sidestand down,turn the Run Switch on, hold the clutch lever in and thumb the starter button. If no start, repeat with stand up.

If still no start, keep the lever in and button held down while rotating the handlebars lock to lock. If it pulls in the starter, the problem is the nefarious bullet connectors . . .

DSCN1472.jpg

• Like 1

Or the Clutch Switch, itself, has failed (less common).

edit: It can also happen that the tiny switch actuator from the lever to the switch gets gunked up and fails to actuate the switch or the switch anchoring fasteners let the switch drift away from the actuator.

It is possible that a previous owner disabled both the clutch switch and the sidestand switch.

Modified wiring is impossible to troubleshoot based on the assumption that the factory wiring/switches are intact. Instead, I would investigate sketchy looking splices in the wiring from those two switches, especially the clutch switch as it is the common denominator between the function of the stand up (Sidestand Switch) and the stand down (Neutral Switch/ middle relay).

Otherwise, you should still do the bar rotation test, attempting to start with the steering in various, especially extreme, positions. Any change in starting from steering position makes the clutch switch wiring suspect.

It's probably not the kickstand switch.  Mine went out and doesn't lockout anymore.   Bike starts any time-  when it wants to start.

5 hours ago, docc said:

Sounding like the "bullet" connectors for the clutch safety switch that are on the forward, left side of the spine frame under the tank. Unless someone has disabled that safety switch, there will be no start (no click, no groan, no nothing) unless the clutch is disengaged (lever held in) to start.

With the bike in neutral, sidestand down,turn the Run Switch on, hold the clutch lever in and thumb the starter button. If no start, repeat with stand up.

If still no start, keep the lever in and button held down while rotating the handlebars lock to lock. If it pulls in the starter, the problem is the nefarious bullet connectors . . .

DSCN1472.jpg

I had the same weird problem you had.... It was this ^^^^

• Like 1

From my Scura log..courtesy of Kiwi Roy..

neutral light won't go out -look for- sticky neutral switch

Won't run in gear -look for- stuck or dirty sidestand switch

Won't run in neutral -look for- stuck neutral switch OR neutral (middle)relay

neutral light yes but won't run in neutral -look at- middle relay

Starter won't turn -look at- clutch switch or starter relay

and..

As Docc says I would suspect the ignition switch, when's the last time you cleaned the contacts? If you wire a small lamp to the petcock fuse F8 you may see it go dim or flicker confirming that there is a bad contact somewhere between the ignition switch, kill switch or side stand relay.

How is the clutch switch wired I know there is a small switch at clutch lever, exactly where does it connect.  I have moved relays around and I'm pretty much down to this. 

1 minute ago, dbarb3 said:

How is the clutch switch wired I know there is a small switch at clutch lever, exactly where does it connect.  I have moved relays around and I'm pretty much down to this. 

Inspect the two small wires at the switch and follow them to the left side of the frame by the steering head. Look for two shielded, but unsealed bullet connectors (see the image I posted above).