MSF training material - Guzzi content

My company submitted us to a driving test every six months.

Testing your handling skills every few years may help you to increase safety and awareness. I took the Motorcycle Safety Course here, even if I already had my driver's license. Mainly because it lowers my insurance rate, but also to verify my level.

I am planning to do it again, after the Texas Tour, this time, with the Guzzi, and not with one of these 125cc motorcycle which feel like bicycles.

• Like 1

Florida doesn't require motorcycle insurance; after all these years I still don't know what to make of that. I don't think taking the course over again would lower mine, but I could ask.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

Florida doesn't require motorcycle insurance; after all these years I still don't know what to make of that. I don't think taking the course over again would lower mine, but I could ask.

You don't know how good (or bad) you have it. Insuring a motorbike in Europe is so costly, even a challenge for young drivers. Some insurance companies do not even offer insurance for young drivers. You need to jump through hoops.

But driving in Europe is very different. I think it is safer overall there. Mainly because there is a really strict prohibition on driving and cell phone use. Its fine. We just have to adapt and take it into account.

Since I have been riding (last year), I have not had a real scare just yet. That does not mean I have not been involved in potential situations, but so far, I anticipated everything.

I hope that it continues this way. This is why I am going to take, and continue taking these safety courses.

No ABS is also an aggravating factor to my insurer.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

I would take the Advanced Rider Course every 2-3 years when offered by Goldwing Road Riders Association.  I found the lead up to training day caused me some anxiety.  I would take the course to improve my riding skills and lower my insurance rate but didn't want to drop the bike in front of my peers, get hurt, break expensive plastic that envelops the bike, etc.  At the end of the day, about 2hrs of classroom and 6hrs of parking lot, I was cheerfully exhausted.  I felt I had improved my riding skills, my poor habits had been pointed out to me as areas that need improvement and mainly, I didn't fall, get hurt, damage the bike, etc.  I could hardly wait to send a facsimile of my course completion certificate to my insurer so my rates would be lowered accordingly and the the tremendous savings realized by me by taking the course, this scenario played out about a dozen times over the years.  Well, the GWRRA has recently closed it's doors so,  I don't know when, where or how I'll go about taking another ARC in the future.  And, what will that do to my insurance rate reduction?  So, I called my insurer and asked what my rate would be because I don't know if I'll ever be taking an ARC again, my insurer told me to hold on while they look at my policy list of discounts, I replied that if it listed in my policy I'll look it up myself and then I hung up.  The policy discount for training is $1.00.  Yeah I thought I was saving all sorts of hard earned cash by staying current with training!  Oh well, not such a big savings moneywise but all that training probably helped me survive the "mean streets" over the years.  Anyway, I advocate taking an ARC if you're able to, I was never successful selling the benefits to my riding buds, they were always too busy, didn't feel they needed it, etc.  

Art

• Like 1