Routine Maintenance Questions

quazi-moto

Okay, I plan on doing my own service work and I have some questions. Firstly, will I need special tools to change the oil filter? Secondly, when it comes time to do the valve lash adjustment can the rocker cover be removed without dismantling the whole blasted front fairing? Lastly, what lubricants will provide good performance and protection? Should I run synthetic in motor, trans and rear? Thanks in advance.

Pep Boys sells a wide array of filter wrenches at reasonable prices. I bought one there many years ago for my 1985 VW Scirocco. That one happens to fit Guzzi oil filters!

Just take your filter to Pep Boys and pick out the one you need! I paid under $10 for mine, but that was some years ago.

Guest HI-TECH-CHECK

You will need 2 special tools to change the oil. First is a large allen-type wrench to remove the drain plug. I went to a hardware store and bought a suitable bolt and 2 nuts and made my own. The second is a cup type oil filter wrench. There are various sizes available so get your new filter and then go down to the auto parts store as Rich suggested. I use Toyota brand oil filters in both my Guzzi and BMW and that uses a different wrench size. ( I refuse to pay $16.00 for a factory oil filter that looks sub-standard at best)

The fairing does not have to be removed to adjust valves. Removing the gas tank makes reaching all the bolts much easier though.

I prefer synthetic oil in the trans and differential for its shifting improvement and shock load. I use convential "dino" oil in the engine. Any quality SF/SG grade oil will do. I use the Honda brand oil in all my bikes as the dealer is close and I buy in case lots.

That reminds me! :doh:

For the large hex wrench you need to remove the manhole cover under the pan.....

I bought a two ended hex socket at the Hardware store made for loosening plumbing fittings. With just a light filing on the small end, it fit the hex socket on the manhole cover perfectly. I just slip a large phillips screwdriver as a handle thru it and turn the cover right off!

Cost was $2.95! Ace Hardware had it.

After I bought the really-trick 3/8 drive socket for removing the oil filter cover ($27), I read somewhere that the spark plug wrench that comes in your Moto Guzzi toolkit works as a cover remover tool.

I have not tried this, but this is what I read.

Ride well. Ride safe.

-Jack Price

Glendale, CA

02 V11 Le Mans (14 months, nearly 29k miles)

Air Filters

Air Filters Airbox Replacements:

1. K&N - Old #MG-1093, New # 33-2682 (Automotive application that fits perfectly)

2. Amsoil Products 2 stage foam # S1938

3. BMC #F45740 AND Airbox lid eliminator kit for newer Guzzi's - Sold by Fast by Ferracci.

Apparently the original filter crosses w/ Fiat part number "Fiat 4434868" so, you may be able to find other matches.   Seperate Filters for those eliminating the airbox.   K&N   1. Tapered: RU-2580 (these are kinda small)   2. Non tapered: RU-0500 (smaller than below, but still good)   3. Non tapered: RU-0510   4. Non tapered: RU-0520 - Mostly the same dimensions as RU-0510, but 25mm/1" longer.   UNI's   1. UP-4200 Foam Pod (2" I.D. x 4" L)

Fuel Filters

NAPA gold 3008 Is known to work.

The following are from cross referenced and will probably work:

TBIG"A" 95008, Beck/Arney worldpart 043-0660, Hastings GF106, Bosch 0-450-905-021, WIX 33008, VW-AUDI 431-133-511 & 431-133-511A

Oil Filters

Fram PH3614 will fit but construction is questioable.

Go to WallMart and get the SuperTech ST3614 for around $2 (vs $15 for the Guzzi filter). This filter is made by Champion labs, is better constructed than a Fram, and has a 94% multiple pass efficiency rating. Just be sure to remove the decal on the filter before you install it.

(Tip from Tracy Martin, off of the Wildguzzi.com site)

Also the Amsoil SMF125 is supposed to work.

Fluid Capacities and Conversions

3.5 liters of 20W/50 engine oil = 3.7 US quarts = 3.08 imperial quarts

0.85 liters of SAE W/90 tranmission oil = 0.90 US quarts = 0.75 imperial quarts

0.37 liters of a mix of 80W/90 and moly additive = 0.39 US quarts = 0.33 imperial quarts

0.4 liters of SAE 10 fork oil for each fork leg = 0.4227 US quarts = 0.352 imperial quarts

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks dlaing!

Nice info to have.

Here's an off the wall question. Old Guzzi's (Eldo's) are recommended to use copper-core spark plug wire, due to the way the ignition is set up (resistors are in the coil and the caps). Do the newer Guzzi's use 8mm silicone wires with super-whoopty conductors? I know they don't need suppression wires, but I was curious about using them. Actually, I don't know much about plug wires at all...All I know is they say champion...shows how little I pay attention some times...

Cheers,

Jason

Guest Squashed Nose

[Do the newer Guzzi's use 8mm silicone wires with super-whoopty conductors?]

Super-whoopty? Are you sure?

I looked this up in my motoring maintenance glossary and there was no mention of the term at all.

Guest mcloutier

Are you sure you don't need suppression wires?? My understanding is that you can cause interference with the FI computer if you dont.