V11 frame ( later model02-04 ) and 1100 sport .

arveno

Not sure if this question was asked before .

is there a difference between the 1100 sport frame 96-98  and the V11 sport 02-04 ?

yes I know the swing arm is different, also I know 5 speed vs 6 speed.

my question is specific to the spine frame.

thank you 

M

For sure the steering angle changed from 26º to 25º and the V11 frame is narrower across the perpendicular round tube where the frame side plates mount.

While the early V11 RedFrame/Rosso Mandello ShortFrame wheelbase is shorter than the 1100 Sport, the later V11 LongFrame was lengthened.  Looks like the later V11 wheelbase is longer than the 1100 Sport by 25 mm?

Good question!

Thank you Doc for your information.

I test ridden a 1100 sport ( 96 ) and it felt “ different “ from my 02 lemans.

maybe was the narrower gas tank and the lower bars that gave me the impression the 1100 sport was “ lighter “ but still seemed longer to turn.

but I only ridden it a few miles so really can’t make a comparison.

if you had to choose between the two which one would you choose ?

( beside the difference in carb /efi model and the transmission with straight cut gears…I don’t want to beat a dear horse lol ) 

just speaking of gut feeling and ride ability.

we all know the technical differences .

thank you.

and yes I have found one for sale locally and… pondering if would be a silly move to sell the v11 and get the 1100 sport.

47 minutes ago, docc said:

They are different enough to have both! I can write a note.

In fact, I think I just did . . . :nerd:

That’s NOT what I wanted to hear LOL 

or was I ?

Ok ok better save up…….

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

My impression is that the 1100 Sport is more of a GT bike, whereas the steering was quickened substantially on the '99-'02 V11, then slowed up just a bit. The 3.5/5.5 wheels also affect handling, in a plus or minus trade-off.

As much as I have ridden my  ShortFrame 25º 2000 Sport, I really haven't ridden many other SpineFrames.

By comparison, I recall riding a friend's 26º '97 1100 Sport-i. I thought it felt a lot like my 1975 GoldWing. A totally reliable track without any hint of "quickness" or surprise. Expect effort to turn-in.

During the brief time that Nashville had a Moto Guzzi dealer, there was a "Demo Ride" event. [early-mid 2000s] :mg:

I rode a LongFrame Café Sport (Öhlins plus handlebars, not like my "clip-ons"). It felt so predictable and forgiving. I remember thinking, "They have tamed the SpineFrame."

My *impression* from those brief riding experiences is that the later generation LongFrame V11 (especially the handlebar versions) strike a balance between the mid-nineties SpineFrames and the more demanding V11 ShortFrame/RedFrame.

The comparison really impressed me that there were "people" at Moto Guzzi that continued to work relentlessly to make the Moto Guzzi experience better for the user (us) . . . :race:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, docc said:

As much as I have ridden my  ShortFrame 25º 2000 Sport, I really haven't ridden many other SpineFrames.

By comparison, I recall riding a friend's 26º '97 1100 Sport-i. I thought it felt a lot like my 1975 GoldWing. A totally reliable track without any hint of "quickness" or surprise. Expect effort to turn-in.

During the brief time that Nashville had a Moto Guzzi dealer, there was a "Demo Ride" event. [early-mid 2000s] :mg:

I rode a LongFrame Café Sport (Öhlins plus handlebars, not like my "clip-ons"). It felt so predictable and forgiving. I remember thinking, "They have tamed the SpineFrame."

My *impression* from those brief riding experiences is that the later generation LongFrame V11 (especially the handlebar versions) strike a balance between the mid-nineties SpineFrames and the more demanding V11 ShortFrame/RedFrame.

The comparison really impressed me that there were "people" at Moto Guzzi that continued to work relentlessly to make the Moto Guzzi experience better for the user (us) . . . :race:

A cranky old man on the Kawi EX-500 forum described the 1100 Sport he rode as "a truck." Clearly, he never rode another spine frame.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, po18guy said:

A cranky old man on the Kawi EX-500 forum described the 1100 Sport he rode as "a truck." Clearly, he never rode another spine frame.

The EX500 is the most soulless motorcycle ever built. Can't argue the handling, though. They were like flies on the racetrack.

He describes the 1100 Sport at 7:10. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, po18guy said:

5 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

The EX500 is the most soulless motorcycle ever built. Can't argue the handling, though. They were like flies on the racetrack.

So -- intrigued, due to my ever back of mind pursuit of an already in use (cheap) lightweight, reliable twin to use as a base to build up the ideal (and cheap) 2cyl dual sport bike, I did a small bit of research. Mostly looking to find the degree of the crank on the EX. I have a Yammie XS650 with the 360* so I know vibration intimately. I discover with dismay they make a nice version of the 500 for Euro only, called a KLE500. I'd consider owning one of them if I were allowed. I also discover a thread on the EX500 forum where po18guy provides a great explanation of crank and firing order for twins. That was a good find. Also discovered the TRX850 (also Euro only) from the same "guy".  There is an interesting range of parallel twins from the 90's and 00's. Will pursue the 'new to me' EX a bit further.

12 hours ago, footgoose said:

So -- intrigued, due to my ever back of mind pursuit of an already in use (cheap) lightweight, reliable twin to use as a base to build up the ideal (and cheap) 2cyl dual sport bike, I did a small bit of research. Mostly looking to find the degree of the crank on the EX. I have a Yammie XS650 with the 360* so I know vibration intimately. I discover with dismay they make a nice version of the 500 for Euro only, called a KLE500. I'd consider owning one of them if I were allowed. I also discover a thread on the EX500 forum where po18guy provides a great explanation of crank and firing order for twins. That was a good find. Also discovered the TRX850 (also Euro only) from the same "guy".  There is an interesting range of parallel twins from the 90's and 00's. Will pursue the 'new to me' EX a bit further.

Here's you answer. Fuel injected, 270 degree crank with balance shaft, ABS, the cheapest spares in motorcycling, and dirt cheap to buy. Quality? outstanding.

Phil  

DSC01444.JPG

• Like 2

You can do a 270º or 277º XS650 if you prefer less vibes and a Guzzi soundtrack,  Hugh's Handbuilt does those conversions. 

Soulless? Ride a KZ440 or a Honda 400 Hawk. But add an airbox mod, jet kit, WebCam 245 cams, some Cobra F1 slipons and its ready for the UJM special olympics.

5 hours ago, po18guy said:

Soulless? Ride a KZ440 or a Honda 400 Hawk. But add an airbox mod, jet kit, WebCam 245 cams, some Cobra F1 slipons and its ready for the UJM special olympics.

My first road bike was a KZ400. It had a soul. It's just that soul was reminiscent of the slaves who built the pyramids. Honda Hawks seemed relevant at the time, but their soul was part of the Honda hive mind. EX500s (the 80's ones) had the most obnoxious exhaust tone ever to come from a spark plug. Perhaps the newer stuff isn't so bad. I'm not persecuting them really, they just leave a bad taste in my ears.

• Haha 1

On 6/18/2022 at 11:28 PM, docc said:

So now that I'm confident in my Sport's front end, you'll have to give it a test ride.

• Thanks 1