V11 with a front fairing: replacing the H4 Halogene by a Led; the owner's manual seems to be incorrect?

p6x

I have replaced all the incandescent lamps with led ones; the flasher too, since the stock one does not work with led lights; remains the head light.

I forgot to report the lenses on the turn indicators were completely brittle. Probably the UV from the sun. The plastic tab where the screw goes broke when attempting to remove. The plastic tab on the opposite side too. More money for MG Cycle... I have depleted their stock.

I followed the instructions found in the owner's manual. The lower part of the fairing is held by four 5mm chc screws. The screws are held by four 5 mm nuts that your counter torque with a 8mm wrench.

I removed the screw "A", which is cruciform, but the sheath does not come off. I believe there is probably another screw somewhere else underneath the top of the fairing.

As I want to ride tomorrow, I have put back everything together.

Can anyone with a front fairing confirm what needs to be removed to access the lamps in the head lights?

Head light access and lamp removal

Very easy to take the whole fairing of, what is it mirrors and a few visible bolts.

Cheers Tom.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tomchri said:

Very easy to take the whole fairing of, what is it mirrors and a few visible bolts.

Cheers Tom.

I wanted to spend as little time as possible, to not get the bike immobilized. I only received the led kit in the afternoon, working in triple digits heat is really hard.

I will remove the fairing completely when I come back.

@Tomchri

My attempt to replace the H4 lamp with a LED fell flat on its face. There is no room for the driver inside the head light bucket.

But it was a good experience to remove the fairing entirely.

• Like 1

Learning to know your bike is rewarding :bier: So easy to remove the fairing, and there she is.   Vintage car H4 led version fits perfect, with a H4 halogen light pattern.  4 more on order.
Cheers Tom.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Learning to know your bike is rewarding :bier: So easy to remove the fairing, and there she is.   Vintage car H4 led version fits perfect, with a H4 halogen light pattern.  4 more on order.
Cheers Tom.

Can you provide me with a link for the H4 led version? the parking light with a 12volts 5 watts wedge connection could also be replaced.

Is this an acceptable solution?

AUXITO H4: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TQLK6SH?th=1&psc=1&geniuslink=true

AOLED H4: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z4QKB33?th=1&geniuslink=true this one is for motorcycles, only one in the package. I don't really like the "blue halo".

38 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Cheers Tom.

Thanks, @Tomchri!

I just posted an update on the VintageCar H4 LED . . .

• Thanks 1

I have the LED recommended here on two or three bikes.  I suppose they draw less current but not no brighter than 55W H4. 

I had 100wt halogen on one bike and it was bright enough but singing a lot of plastic over the years.  Now it has a dim LED.  I'd prefer bright.

14 minutes ago, docc said:

Thanks, @Tomchri!

I just posted an update on the VintageCar H4 LED . . .

Some of the links no longer work, or some of the replacement bulbs are out of stock.

I may have to try a few of those before I find a good one.

24 minutes ago, p6x said:

Some of the links no longer work, or some of the replacement bulbs are out of stock.

I may have to try a few of those before I find a good one.

https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/bulbs-only/vcm3-bulbs-only/

"60 in stock"

In order to fit the early V11 steel bucket (Bosch), I had the bend the LED's spade connectors 90º. If I am reading @Tomchri right, he has used this "VintageCar" unit on the later "LeMans"  plastic bucket?

My experience: H4/9003 LED units have the familiar three-pronged flange which locates the bulb and is held in place by the retaining spring. However, quite a few of the LED light units will rotate within that flange so that the beam dispersion and lo/high beam patterns may be adjusted. Due to the design of the headlight bucket, this requires the the lens/reflector be out of the bucket in order to do this. Usually, some fiddling with bulb positioning will net you the classic "Z" low beam and decent hi beam patterning.

14 hours ago, p6x said:

Can you provide me with a link for the H4 led version? the parking light with a 12volts 5 watts wedge connection could also be replaced.

Is this an acceptable solution?

AUXITO H4: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TQLK6SH?th=1&psc=1&geniuslink=true

AOLED H4: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z4QKB33?th=1&geniuslink=true this one is for motorcycles, only one in the package. I don't really like the "blue halo".

the Auxito linked here looks just like the Vintage Car bulb for less money but says 26w while the VC says 20w. is this a problem I wonder? If not I'll try them.

1 hour ago, footgoose said:

the Auxito linked here looks just like the Vintage Car bulb for less money but says 26w while the VC says 20w. is this a problem I wonder? If not I'll try them.

Yep, looks identical. Much cheaper, too. I love the beam patterns of my VintageCar LED in the early Steel Bosch headlamp.

18 hours ago, docc said:

https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/bulbs-only/vcm3-bulbs-only/

"60 in stock"

In order to fit the early V11 steel bucket (Bosch), I had the bend the LED's spade connectors 90º. If I am reading @Tomchri right, he has used this "VintageCar" unit on the later "LeMans"  plastic bucket?

Yes, on my Rosso Corsa and Nero Corsa.

Cheers Tom.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Yes, on my Rosso Corsa and Nero Corsa.

Cheers Tom.

Did you have to alter the spade connections?

In my early sport steel bucket Bosch, I had to bend them 90º for clearance to the back of the bucket:

IMG_7576.jpg