Just changed my oil. Need help.

polebridge

I just finished changing the oil on my V11 Sport Cafe Coppa Italia.  As usual I completely removed the oil sump including detaching the oil line at the rear.  Changed out the filter and replaced the sump.  Filled it with 4 qts of oil. I started the engine up and the oil light would not go off! I let it run for a few seconds and shut it off.  Started it again and shut it off again after a few seconds as the oil light still stayed lit.

Now I do not want to start it again until I can figure out what is going on here. Any ideas?  Anyone had this problem in the past?  I am wondering it I could have damaged the oil pump but I really don't see how that could have happened.  Also wondering if something has blocked up the oil line perhaps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

My gut reaction is that your old oil filter left the gasket stuck on the ring, and either twisted out of the way unsealing the filter, or blew out when oil pressure hit it. 

• Like 3

Take a look at your old oil filter and see if the gasket is there or not. They are known to stay on the mounting flange and cause the problem you describe.

Paul B :bier:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, polebridge said:

I just finished changing the oil on my V11 Sport Cafe Coppa Italia.  As usual I completely removed the oil sump including detaching the oil line at the rear.  Changed out the filter and replaced the sump.  Filled it with 4 qts of oil. I started the engine up and the oil light would not go off! I let it run for a few seconds and shut it off.  Started it again and shut it off again after a few seconds as the oil light still stayed lit.

Now I do not want to start it again until I can figure out what is going on here. Any ideas?  Anyone had this problem in the past?  I am wondering it I could have damaged the oil pump but I really don't see how that could have happened.  Also wondering if something has blocked up the oil line perhaps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If it's not the filter gasket then the oil pumps lost its prime, happens sometimes for reasons nobody can explain. It's a mistake to remove the sump when you have no need to, same as overnight oil draining. Best to dump the oil replace the filter, fill it and start it in the shortest time you can. A few choices. Remove the front cover and pull the pump and fill it with grease and put it all back together again, not an attractive proposition. The second is to block the crankcase breather and use shop air to put 5 psi or so into the crankcases to help push the oil into the pump or pull the sump again and take a large syringe ( I have a 1.5 litre one) with a hose on the pump pickup and force some oil into the pump with the filter removed.

Phil     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

If it's not the filter gasket then the oil pumps lost its prime...

I used a small hand pump to prime my bike after the sump was off for weeks. I didn't know if it had lost prime, but I thought it wouldn't do any harm. As Phil suggested, I pumped oil into the pick-up tube which pokes down into the sump screen.Prime Pressure.jpg

• Like 1

Gentlemen,

Thanks to all! I dug through my garbage this morning, found the old filter and, sure enough, the gasket was missing. Gee, I wonder where is might be! 

Looks like I made a real amateur mistake which makes total sense when I think about it.

You guys are the best!

Thanks

• Like 5

I'd never heard of a 2v/v engine failing to prime and never had to prime one, even on a dry engine after rebuilds.

After 5 seconds or so (if the oil filter is prefilled) I've always seen pressure.

It would be interesting to know if somebody has actually experienced this just out of interest

The HiCams on the other hand are a completely different kettle of fish